Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 Hatchling identification - whiteout/blizzard?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  19:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I hit the jackpot with my clutch. Just found a white snake with red eyes sat in the top of the incubation box. This is a pairing of Hypo Diffused het Anery pied ph (now proven) Amel Charcoal x Normal (it has been suggested she could be a hypo) het Amel Charcoal Diffused.

My question is how do you tell the difference between a whiteout and a blizzard? Is there a way to tell them apart other than breeding tests? I had thought perhaps there would be some sort of a faint pattern (like a snow) so that I could tell if it was diffused or not but I see nothing. It's a pink snake with pink eyes *shrugs*

Any tips from the masters? eeji?

Also, hypo vs normal. I'm fairly certain I have a phantom (hypo charcoal) hatchling as the belly scales are pale (the whole snake is really) and I assume if it were a charcoal, they would be black. Is it similar with a hypo against a normal? How do you know if a diffused is also hypo? I wasn't expecting to see any hypo hatchlings in this clutch so I wasn't really prepared for this part of the identification!

I can put photos up if it helps at all

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  19:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, hypo blizzard vs blizzard and hypo whiteout vs whiteout? How do people know these things? Or don't they? I know a hypo snow is a coral and is more colourful when older. What about hypo blizzards and whiteouts?

I remember reading somewhere that hypo amel isn't possible to tell because hypo reduces black and amel removes black so there isn't any to reduce. Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any help

EDIT: Just figured out how to tell hypos and normals apart...belly checkers are a completely different colour - Just had a Hypo hatch.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Edited by - Moppet on 23/06/2014 23:05:28
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2014 :  00:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures please? Sounds amazing.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2014 :  19:51:24  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its going to be a tough one! You *might* have half a chance of seeing the pattern once they grow a bit and don't all look like pink worms :D
As for hypo vs not hypo you're only real chance of knowing for sure is breeding trials when they're old enough :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2014 :  20:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks eeji, I suspected that might be the case. We'll see if a pattern becomes visible I guess I'm not planning on keeping any until breeding age but at least if people do want to breed from them in the future, they will be definitely het hypo diffused so hopefully it shouldn't mess up their plans (and they might get a real bargain!)

What an exciting clutch

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000