New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

piebobs71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 :  22:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,so i've had the faun up and running without snakey for 2 days now,i followed the guide by littlemick,temps have been a low of 26.9 and high of 30.1,now it has been really weird weather outside recently going from really hot to quite chilly,do they temps seem ok? i currently have stat probe inside the faun but after reading a few more threads here and other forums i'm thinking of moving it outside on top of the mat.i'm popping out tomorrow to dundee to look for better faun plants and to see if guy still has the snake i'm after,do people bother with background stuff on the outside of the faun,like greenery or just leave all sides see through?

cheers for any help

piebobs71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 :  22:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i tried to edit above but it wouldn't let me,i was going to add,for the first few weeks or so i was going to use paper towels as bedding just so i can gauge how often a snake wees,as i've never kept a snake before so don't know if they wee once a day or 20 times,this seem sensible?
Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2014 :  11:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The range seems about the same as I had in the faun; it doesn't take long for it to move between the two, if anything I'd say lower it just a smudge. I've found that our snake seems happiest with a temperature of about 27.5/28 degress so I don't worry too much about the fluctuation, which has substantially reduced now he's in a wooden viv. It is a 'feature' with the on/off mat stat. For more consistent temps you'll want to look at a pulse stat.

I used kitchen roll for the first while too. They wee and poo all on one lovely bundle, but how often will change from snake to snake/mouse size to mouse size/whether they save it all up to go on you!

Hark at me, had a snake for a month or so and I'm an expert ! Hopefully more knowledgable folk will pop in and confirm everything I've said....

Go to Top of Page

piebobs71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2014 :  15:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for reply,i tried the stat sitting on the mat outside the faun and the temps never went over 26,switched it back to inside and it went straight to 28
Go to Top of Page

Redware
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2014 :  09:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again

I wouldn't worry if the stat probe is on the inside or out as long as you have a digital thermometer on the inside directly in contact with the floor of the faun so you can see the actual temp and then you can adjust the temperature based on the digital thermometer reading. Temp range sounds fine just don't let it get any hotter than it is at the moment.

Snakes produce urinates which are a solid form of urea and as Wheels has said it comes out with there feces. it can be a good idea to start them on paper just to check they are going if they are very little when you get them.

Hope it helps

Corns: 1.2.0 Caramel Tessera Het Stripe ph lots (Oak) Caramel (Willow) Caramel Stripe Het Amel (Juniper)
Royals: 1:1:0 Lesser Pastel (Bismuth) Cinna Spin (Indium)
Go to Top of Page

piebobs71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2014 :  15:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers for replies,now have the wee guy home,i have named him glover as he's a granite i named him after the famous aberdonian thomas glover

Edited by - piebobs71 on 27/07/2014 15:47:14
Go to Top of Page

piebobs71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2014 :  15:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok why have the pics gone so big lol
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2014 :  21:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh wow he is so gorgeous, pic is fine size, if you saw it bigger before, photobucket acts up and is weird!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

piebobs71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2014 :  21:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah dunno what happened,he's quite active can hear him moving about and exploring his new home
Go to Top of Page

Bertie
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  00:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, he's a cutie

0.1.0 CB 2013 Carolina c[URL=http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/bertie_beemer/media/7c0543bd-67a1-4dd6-8f7f-d9a22eb143b0_zps7ad92e8d.jpg.html][/URL]orn (Stanlee)
Go to Top of Page

piebobs71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  08:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well today's the big day he's been here a week now and its time for some food ,guy I bought him from was feeding him rat pups,so that's what he'll be getting this time anyway,might try weighing him before and getting a rough length,I left his records in the shop last week but have since picked them up,he hatched on 18/8/13 so he's nearly one,think he's settled Ok been noticing him out and about quite a lot
Go to Top of Page

piebobs71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  20:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

think he's got darker since i got him,my kids were very excited to finally see him,and the feeding went better than expected for a first attempt by me,can't figure out how to link a video from facebook to here ,i uploaded video to photobucket but it doesn't seem to be showing up in my library on that site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZL-LIJ1KXc&feature=youtu.be
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000