New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Justin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2015 :  10:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I am a new corn owner, I took my snake on from someone else about early November time. She was last fed on 27th Dec and has not eaten again as yet, she has gone into what I thought was blue phase ready to shed last weekend, her eyes as yet have not followed suit, she has not shed a week after noticing the change in skin colour. She has bark and wood and a rough surface to aid her shedding but she just hides under her hide. Temp is changeable but I check daily and she has a heat mat taped to back of viv and a heat pad on ceiling used previously for tortoises and I keep the viv in the region of 25-29 always aiming for 28 degrees. light goes off at night as on timer. Very lethargic snake never particularly active, responds to touch and sniffing air, Ive checked her today and taken hide out so she is exposed and am guessing she will just go under bark until I replace the hide later when she has moved and allowed me to do so, she can get grumpy and I was advised not to handle if shes in shedding mode as she may be partially sighted and likely to get annoyed and strike. Any advice would be great, I am yet to familiarise my self with her behaviours and am new to learning the ways of these beautiful creatures, very attached to her and want her to be happy and content and well looked after. Cheers J

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2015 :  18:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine sometimes change skin colour a week or two before going into blue. The underside scales go a milky colour and they generally look all dull. No need to worry yet! Go by the eyes, they are the most reliable way to tell as their colouring can change so much between sheds

Nagini Salazar Apollo
Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2015 :  19:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes a little increased humidity will assist with shedding.
You could make a hide from a plastic container containing moist spagnum moss.
With certain morphs fore example amelanistic it is difficult to tell from the eyes but the snakes skin will normally go a milky colour. They will then return to normal and can take up to two weeks to shed from that point.
Unless your snake is milky I would still offer it food, although it may be a little more reluctant to take it, requiring a little encouragement!

0.1.0 CB 11Amel Corn "Fuzzy"
0.1.0 CB14 Hypo Jungle Boa "Fizzy"
Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2015 :  23:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The length of the whole shedding process can really vary, from snake to snake, and from shed to shed.

First they go dark, but eyes are still clear - this can sometimes take a couple of weeks, while another time only couple of days.

Then they get even darker, with a milky grey over wash - that's when they eyes show blue. Again, this can take anything from couple of days, to 5 -6 days. Then they clear and colours look almost normal again. This stage takes from couple of days, to over a week. Then they shed :-)

The shortest ever shed cycle I've seen with my snakes was about 7-8 days altogether - from looking slightly dark and becoming inactive, to the actual shed.

The longest over 3 weeks - the same snake!

So, week isn't any time at all, don't worry, your snake will shed soon, just make sure the humidity is higher than normal ( you can lightly spray the warm side of the Viv once or twice a day, if you like, or provide a moist hide with damp moss ). Best to leave her alone, they don't like being disturbed much when blue. Good luck, you'll soon have a new shiny snake. :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly