Did you go large?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2015 :  16:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just moved Wheels onto large mice (around 23-24g), but I see that many folk never go past mediums.

Wheels is 2 years and weighs around 230g, he's just over 3ft. He can take the large mice with no problem and they certainly aren't 1.5 times his girth, but is it too much? The mediums he was on were around 19-20g.

I tend to feed him 4/5 days after the poo - he seems to feed more reliably this way rather than on a xxx day schedule. It probably means he is usually fed about every 8/9 days.

I have no intention of going any larger, but I don't want to overfeed him if mediums will keep him happy and healthy!

Freddiesmum
Sub Adult

1083 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2015 :  16:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed Oscar on jumbos! But he is rather large at over 5ft and 780ish grams! He only gets fed every 2 weeks. I sometimes mix it up and feed him a large, or any of Emmy's reject smalls (mediums now actually!), and adjust the time of feeding accordingly.

As long as he's not fat I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on his weight

1.1.0 Corn Snakes, Oscar the Golddust Motley, Emmy the Ultramel Anery
2.0.0 Cats, Yoda and Ed
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, Masuka
1.0.0 Western Hognose Snake - Hugo

Edited by - Freddiesmum on 19/02/2015 16:16:36
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2015 :  17:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've moved Strom up to large mice every 10 days. None of mine are fed anything bigger than that. My adults have been moved down to mediums now, either ever 10 days or fortnightly, because they're at a good weight and I don't want them getting any heavier.

Best guide for how your snake is doing weight-wise is imagining a cross-section - triangular is skinny, loaf-shaped is perfect and circular is over-weight.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2015 :  20:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My adults all get chicks. Nutritionally comparative to a large mouse, bit less fat, and dirt cheap. Both the corns do very well on them, Diego was prone to getting very fat on mice even if only fed once every 2 weeks, but now he holds a steady weight on a chick a week. Downside is only large adults can take them because they are quite wide.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  08:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to Jumbos for all my 3 adults, but have now gone back to large mice ( every 12 - 14 days ), as they started getting a bit chubby. Every now and then they get a Jumbo - when the mice are smaller than usual.

Tried a chick once with Twid, who is 4.5 foot and will be 4 this year - OMG, what a stress! Took him about 20 mins, he got stuck, laid without moving, then thrashed about madly, then laid without moving again, mouth stretched to see through, then there was suddenly a lot of blood and I panicked that he'd torn his mouth! Fortunately, it was the chick's blood... BUT - he had the best formed and not smelly at all poop afterwards! I really wish I could feed him chicks, as they obviously suit him better. But I'm not going to try again, until his head grows bigger. :-(

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Freddiesmum
Sub Adult

1083 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  09:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no that sounds horrible Razee! Never tried Oscar on a chick, not sure where I'd get them from!

2.0.0 Cats, Yoda and Ed
Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  09:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all. I'd love to try Wheels on chicks, but I don't think he is big enough yet....plenty of time later

I don't think he's fat (good excuse to add some - bad phone - photos....), but is quite muscular; at least that is how I see him.

He's obviously getting bigger than I think he is though, how do they grow without us noticing...then:

now:

I'll keep him on large for now and then downsize him if he seems to be chubbifying

Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  09:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, they came out larger than I expected

Go to Top of Page

Freddiesmum
Sub Adult

1083 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  10:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's looking good! They do grow without you even knowing though eh!

2.0.0 Cats, Yoda and Ed
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  10:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks great .

Casper came to me on a feeding schedule of a rat one week and a chick the next. I'd never fed a chick before so the first time was a bit of an experience. I got a chick out for him once and discovered that he was blue. Asher needed feeding so decided to offer it to him. Didn't think there would be a problem because he's bigger than Casper. I'm so glad I'm not the only one to have experienced what I did in the next 30 minutes Razee. I did wonder if he'd come off it because he was struggling so much. He even landed up virtually standing on his head to get leverage. It's the first time I've seen a snake's tongue when it's eating. Never again!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  13:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, I feel ridiculously proud for absolutely no reason now

Wheels has been a star, he's been mostly a good eater (a couple of refusals but not so many as to cause worry, and since I've adopted the 'days post-poo' feeding schedule he's been fine), always shed in one clean piece, pooed as he should and been so gentle!

I've read several stories of chick feeding terrors , but I've also looked into their nutrition....yeah, we'll probably cross that bridge but not for a good while!

Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  13:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wheels is gorgeous, and if other amel motleys I've seen are anything to go by, his colours will just keep getting better and better! He is unusual - normally the motley gene seems to remove all the black ( or white in amels ) from around the saddle borders, but he still seems to have a bit there, and his colours are so bright already! Such a rich orange on him :-)

Freddiesmum, generally most pet shops that sell frozen mice also sell chicks - but I think if I try again, I might take the whole legs off, not just the feet. He got stuck on the thighs, and not only that, the wings were also lying back, next to the thighs, making the chick even wider.

Kellogs - yes, Twid has tried that as well, and he was pushing so hard, he was shaking...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2015 :  17:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent ages on Ians Vivarium just after we got him looking at the amel motleys and wondering about Wheels' white saddle surround...I knew he was an amel motley, but then I kept wondering if there was anything else in play.

Then I wandered around the other pictures of morphs and built up quite a wish list.....

I think the white makes it look like someone's stitched his saddles on!

Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  22:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was all ready to move Rosie to jumbo. However the last lot I got we're all over 30g. Going to keep her on large, as long as she continues to gain grow I recon all will be fine

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  19:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed large mice to all of my corns. Sometimes they even get two (I like to mix up the gap between feeds so they don't become complacent - I think it's more like the wild that way). However I always feed based on how fat they are, a chubby snake might miss a feed or have a bigger gap between feeds. Works well for me

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2015 :  15:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, had a bit of life getting in the way!

It has actually become beside the point as Wheels (and he is definitely a he now, girls to not do that all over my lovely slanket) has decided there are better things to think about than eating and hasn't eaten since I asked the question.

I'm continuing to weigh him and he isn't loosing too much so I'm not going to worry having read all the other threads on breeding season silliness. He is super active, though, so I'm just going to enjoy that while it lasts

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  09:15:09  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I was new to keeping my snake(s) I used to feed the size mouse that left a bump every week. I ended up some healthy weight snakes and a couple of over weight snakes!
Now, several years down the line, I'm more confident and my snakes are fed more like they would in the wild. They have various sizes of mouse and the schedule is more relaxed. Sometimes I feed once a week then it might be a couple of weeks before I feed again. I vary it.
All my snakes are healthy even if the two larger ones are still a tiny bit overweight. I think they're like all living things, they come in various shapes and sizes....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2015 :  20:26:17  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All of mine take mediums, once a week. Or every fortnight for Sonny because he's a little overweight and doesn't move

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: