New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  12:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondered - do you use newspaper under your snake's bedding? I have always done this, mainly because Bazil always buries her poops, and the newspaper soaks up any wet bits, so I can just pick the poop, tear out/ replace the wet newspaper bit, and wipe the viv floor under it with a disinfectant...

However...

Sebastian, who is in my bedroom, has taken to making a newspaper origami ( after I have stopped him grinding his teeth on glass ), every night. He crawls under the bedding, and starts folding - and it's amazing what he can do, considering he's got no hands. Problem is, not only this really messes up the viv, it makes a hell of a racket in the middle of the night.

I've fed him yesterday, cleaned his viv, replaced all the folded and torn newspaper, added lots of lignocel, and thought I'd have one night of peace, with him digesting.

Ha. No chance. He's been paperfolding all night. Viv looks like a bomb site, lignocel in water bowl,and I hardly slept.
So, thinking about taking his newspaper out - but I still need to cover the heatmat with something. Not only so that he's not in direct contact, it's mainly to soak any wee over the heatmat... what do you use?

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  12:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to, but not anymore because they would inevitably end up scrunching it up. Also if I just wanted to spot clean but it had soaked in to the paper I had to take all the paper out. My vivariums are on a heat cable which is thankfully waterproof, so I don't need to worry about keeping poop away from it, but I used to use glass sheets from picture frames (Aleron still has one with glass on). Stops them getting under the mat too. It's difficult to find picture glass that's got smooth edges, some can be quite sharp.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  16:57:23  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just have aspen straight on the heat mat. Never had any issues with them being in direct contact with the mat as the stat probe is glued to it and if they clear all the aspen off then I just throw a handful back over it.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  19:36:34  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thought about it but decided against it, can't remember why haha

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom