New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

A-hardie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2015 :  00:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, the last time I tried this, I didn't allow much room for help, due to my own blundering, so I've taken some time to actually get my facts together.

My corn snake, a roughly seven year old anerythristic, has belly scales that are peeling slightly, almost in the fashion of someones hands after some rough work. He's on aspen bedding, which is spot cleaned as needed, and completely changed once a week. Heating s provided by a heat lamp, thermostat controlled. The hot end reaches roughly 31 degrees, whilst the cold one reaches about 20 degrees. Last year, the heating was provided by a heat mat, which i later found after a summer visit away was no longer being correctly regulated by the thermostat, and is now no longer used.

His scales themselves are not discolored, still being the same slight yellow they have always been since he reached maturity. There is some damage, but I can account for this already, and it is not recent. I do already have a vets appointment booked, but I would appreciate your input.

A-hardie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2015 :  00:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. I should note i say 'roughly'due to changes with external temperature, i now use a proper probe thermometer, and the temperature dos not alter more than two degrees.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2015 :  10:07:09  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmmm..... not sure on that one
Although 31 is too high for corns, you say it fluctuates between a few degrees, it shouldn't really do that, what type of thermostat are you using?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2015 :  10:07:47  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also a picture might help

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

A-hardie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2015 :  23:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

Also a picture might help

An exo terra digital. And really, 31 degrees is too high? I could have sworn that's what the main sites care sheet said, but i'll tone it down a bit. And i'll just get a photo now, sorry about this.

I feel it's also worth mentioning he doesn't react with any pain when i touch his underside.
Go to Top of Page

A-hardie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2015 :  23:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick question, how do i post up an image
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2015 :  11:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ideally corns want a temperature that is 27 - 29oC. I'm assuming you have the probe for the digital thermometer on the floor of the warm side of the viv?

As for posting photos, good luck . Seriously though, this should help - How to post images using Photobucket , although it does play up . You will need to look at this as well Photobucket update . You can also post pics via Facebook. Select the IMG option (top of box, yellow and looks like a mountain), then just right click on the Facebook photo, select copy URL and add them between the [img] tags. Hopefully that makes sense.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000