New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Basilintheratatouille
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  19:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! I'm new and the proud owner of Basil, who I chose as an early Christmas present. He was born this year (I'm not sure when) and I'm in love with him. I say 'him'; he hasn't been sexed, but we had a female cat called Basil so it could work for either sex, I reckon

I kept a corn a decade or so ago when I worked for a company that employed animal-lovers like me to go to schools and do animal handling workshops, but they gave us precious little training, and I only knew the basics, so for all intents and purposes I'm a newbie.

Basil has grown in inch (from 13" to 14", although it's obviously hard to measure him accurately as he's so damn wriggly!)since I got him just over a fortnight ago, and is definitely thicker, and just today his eyes have gone milky so I'm excited to see when his first shed will be.

At the moment, we've got him in an Exo-terra tank, which I know is not ideal, but we have two young children, so we really needed something lockable. The shop we bought him from (Warrington Pets and Exotics) was excellent and advised on how to set up the heat mat properly, and he seems happy enough in there, is feeding well etc (although he doesn't constrict, which I gather is normal when feeding pinkies?).

I'm so thrilled to be a snake-owner again. I'm surprisingly in love with Bas and am looking forward to exploring more of your site. I've already found it incredibly useful for pre-purchase and setup information!!

Thanks,

BITR

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  12:19:49  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  16:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome, I have a Bazil too, only spelled with "z", as she's Bazilishka :-)

Nothing wrong with Exo - terra, as long as he's got the right temperature, hot and cold hides and enough cover, it should be perfectly ok :-)

He/ she is very pretty, I love many morphs, but you can't beat a normal corn snake. Good luck with your new snakey :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  23:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Basilintheratatouille
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2015 :  19:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys :)

I did toy with the idea of getting another morph, but I have a soft spot for the bog-standard normal ;)

He seems to be fine in his setup. He spends most of his time in his warm hide, occasionally hanging out in a fake vine thing I've got in one corner (presumably to cool down?) and is very friendly already. I say 'friendly'; I mean he's a snake, he doesn't exactly wag his tail or anything, but he calms down very quickly after his initial zippy-ness and has chilled out for 15 minutes or so at a time in my hand. I like to think he's having a nap but who knows, really.

Thanks for the warm welcome

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000