Reggie – The first 3 weeks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reggie The Corn Snake
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2016 :  18:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three weeks ago I spotted an add on gumtree for a Carolina cornsnake full set for £80 which included a 12 month old snake, an Exo Terra vivarium, a hide and a heat mat. After what seems like an entire day of text messages at 1am Saturday morning I finally got a text with the address and postcode. I left home at 8am on Saturday morning for the 1 hour drive to pick up the snake. Two hours later I was back home with “Reggie” my new pet snake. I after I drop Reggie off at home I popped into Pets at Home to buy a Thermostat, Thermometer, a water bowl (one provided was for a rabbit), some Aspen, a bit of tree and some frozen mouse. Unfortunately Reggie smelled, so though I would have preferred to leave him to acclimatise for several days after a longish car journey he needed a clean. One of my friends who also has a snake held him whilst I steam cleaned his enclosure. Then cleaned it with washing up liquid, then steam cleaned again drying and removing all traces. The thermostat was setup and the aspen and decorations added to his new home.
Reggie was shredding his skin. But he wasn't shredding very well. I took a tea-tail soaked in warm water and let him slither through it and sprayed him with water and helped him (very gently) remove some lose skin. I also increased the humidity of the room by added a damp towel. Just as I though all the skin was removed his entire skill came off. Looked like poor Reggie had two layers of skin on him. Now all that remains is a small amount of lose skin near his head which he is slowly removing himself.
For the first few weeks he was hiding most of the time. I handled him every day except after he had eaten where I left him for 2 days. I placed the snake into a plastic cake container with holes drilled in the top then added the mouse, after a few minutes of wriggling around he slowly started eating. Though on Sunday I dangled it into front of him and stricked at it.
After three weeks he seems much happier, his more active when being handled, his exploring his vivarium I've even caught him climbing on his new plastic plants and bathing in his water bowl. His skin looks much better. His eating, drinking and pooing.

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2016 :  19:19:33  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's a beautiful little carolina :) you've done him so good already :)
NB: You could have left him with the other bowl, as long as they are heavy enough to not get tipped over, they can be anything :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2016 :  15:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome
He is adorable, wont be long till you want another one!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Reggie The Corn Snake
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  14:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too happy with Reggie to get another
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  19:45:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awwww bless :3

No, it won't be long until you want another.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 05/07/2016 19:45:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000