Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  14:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Me again, should we stick the heat mat to the bottom of the Faunarium or leave it on the unit, where we have a gap? We also have an Evo Lite Thermostat - the probe goes into the Faunarium?

Thank you

Dan

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  19:09:37  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On the unit will be fine, yes, the stat probe, along with that of the thermometer should be placed in the faunarium over the mat.

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  20:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, I was so worried about the heat mat getting too hot for the bedside cabinet it is on. These probes are hard to settle down in a plastic tank.

Thank you for your help again.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  20:27:44  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are a bit awkward. Try blue tack or weigh them down with something

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  08:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They can get fairly warm, l had 20 w heatmat on top of a wooden chopping board to protect the furniture it was on - and the chopping board cracked! Mind you, it was in the first few weeks and without thermostat ( l was told by "expert" in the shop l didn't need one ).

I found that if you have the faunarium in cold room, the gap between the mat and the bottom of the faunarium can be too big, and the heat doesn't transfer well. There are 2 ways l've solved this in the past: with the faunarium 1/3 over the mat, l then took a narrow piece of paper, and folded it very thin. I then used this to wedge around the 3 edges of the bottom of the faunarium, leaving only 1 short side open where the heatmat was sticking out. This cut out any draughts under the faunarium which were taking away the warm air rising from the mat, but still allowed that one side open in case there was too much heat building up. I then had the thermostat and thermometer probes in the faunarium on the bottom, where the snake is. You have to make sure you only have a very thin layer of bedding at the warm end, otherwise the bedding just insulates the heat away and the snake is cold...

Second way was to put a very thin small piece of tile under the bit of mat that was under the faunarium. This created a very slight curve in the mat, in one place the mat was touching the bottom of the faunarium, but the legs of the faunarium were standing on the edges of the mat, keeping it away from the bottom, so that mat was just a tiny bit arched. The thermostat probe was then placed in the faunarium, over the spot where the mat was touching the bottom ( warmest spot ). I made sure l put several small hides in - one over the warmest spot, one where there was still the mat under faun but not touching the bottom ( this was a semi warm hide ) , one in cold end, so the snake could choose. This worked well in creating various temperatures with just a heat mat.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly