Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  22:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

I noticed tonight a few times whilst handling her, that Bella was making a funny little noise, almost like a tiny sneezy, or something a small mamal would make for communication? I have heard it the odd time in the past, but she was very active since she had been in her warm hide, and very alert with her tongue on the go constantly. She even opened her mouth ever so slightly a couple of times.
She is due feeding tomorrow, i'm just wondering whether Corns mimmick small rodents to attract them maybe? Or, in fact, she is actually sneezing, and if so, should I be worried?? (We have bathed her twice this week due to mites - which seem to have gone, but she is still on kitchen roll etc and we will continue to treat her as if she has them for some time yet after reading threads on the forum about mites).

Cheers all,
Jon

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  04:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be very interested to read any expert responses to this as Silvesta has always done the same thing. Only a few times when handled and there are no signs of an RI....no extra saliva in his mouth, off his food etc. In all ways he is a perfectly healthy snake, except occasionally he makes this slight sneeze sounds...only a whisper but it is definitely there and has been since I got him in December.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think they make the noise to attract mice - it's probably more a by-product sound of their respiratory system when they are excited/agitated.

That's just a theory though

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:05:08  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I don't think they make the noise to attract mice - it's probably more a by-product sound of their respiratory system when they are excited/agitated.

I've heard that noise too, just before it attacks the mouse..! It's like a battle cry! :P
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to think so...despite my doubt

I could just see Casper shouting 'This is Spaaaarrrrtttttaaa' before pouncing

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:17:49  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could just see Casper shouting 'This is Spaaaarrrrtttttaaa' before pouncing

Yeap! It's funny when Spaghettino (my corn, you can see him at the pics session) does it because he is soooo small and yet he sees himself as a deadly predator..!
"I'll kill you already dead pinkie..!"

Edited by - mozacchio on 11/03/2010 11:22:46
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  14:11:25  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've heard a little squeak before when venom tries to eat his mouse after h has just lept on it. He also sneezes after he has a drink XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  20:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PPPHEW!!! Thanks folks, not just Bella then! That's put my mind at ease - it's such a funny, cute lil noise too lol

She's started shedding tonight too, but its weird.. Not blue eyes? She seemed to a couple of days ago then they went. Yesterday she looked wrinkly when curled up and today she has trashed her faun decor and started rubbing her head like mad on everything and anything and, whilst watching, her head skin started to come off (her head rubbing was very similar to how my lizards start to shed).

I normally feed her now though, but don't know whether to leave her be, or to try feeding her or maybe bathing her?? It's her first shed with us you see?!

EDIT: Just read that snakes usually 'clear up' after blueing the eys etc.. and then there's a day or so until the shed starts, so what Bella is doing is normal :) Still not sure whether to feed her or not though? Any idea, roughly, how long it takes to complete the shed after the head rubbing starts? She's approx 14inches long - or is this a stupid question? lol

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(

Edited by - Fal on 11/03/2010 21:00:18
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  09:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It only takes a few minutes to shed - you'll know when she's done it because you'll find a nice bright snakey, a shed skin and more often than not a pile of doo doo

I wouldn't bother feeding until after she's shed. Then you can feed the night after if you want. Some snakes don't bother taking food during shedding, but some do.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  15:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sneezing and popping is quite common, there are 2 possibilities, first is that some snakes seem to do it out of habit, especially after a drink, the 2nd is RI, sometimes with an ri, the sneezing and popping is the only indication, corns do tend to fight of infections very well. I had one that was popping and opening her mouth sometimes, after a course of antibiotics she cleared without any further symptoms. Is 6 one half dozen the other.

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  15:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I fed her after she had started feeding (before I read the above reply) and she took two hours to finish off her pinkie (same size as normal). I was really panicking. After she ate it, she seemed fine and went back to rubbing her head/shedding, however, that was last thursday and although she has been active and acting normal - she still hasn't shed!!?? Her head and one quarter of her is bright and new, the rest dull and wrinkly??

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  20:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you see skin still on her? It sounds like she should have a bit of a bath if there's skin left to loosen her skin. Just make sure the water is lukewarm and only as deep as her girth, let her have a wiggle in it for a few minutes then let her wiggle through a nice soft towel and see if that does the trick. You need to be sure that the eyecaps and tail tip have come off, otherwise it could cause problems in the future. It might also be worth providing her with a sphagnum moss hide to let her moisturise a bit, definately next time she goes into blue you will at least need to spray her tank. Snakes are different to lizards e.t.c. as usually the skin comes off all at once - like peeling off your sock.

I suspect it may have taken her so long to eat the pinky as she was feeling uncomfy due to the tight skin on her body.

zan x
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  22:19:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Youn say the head looks all shiny and new have you had a look in her tank to see if you can find any shed? Like zan said it sounds like he may have started to shed but only managed to get the head cap off. If so it would be worth putting him in a bath as said above and then letting him wirggle through a towel. Put a little bit of pressure on the towel and the skin should start to come off. Take particular care in making sure that the tip of the tail and the eye caps have also come off otherwise it can cause problems in the future, causing him to lose the tip of his tail as the blood cannot circulate and if the eye caps are left on he can become blind as the layers of skin build up.

Next time you see him go blue put a damp hide in using spagnum moss as said and you may also want to raise the humidity a bit. This can be done by either lightly misting the viv or faun once - twice a day or alternatively put an extra waterbowl in the warm end, some of the water will evaporate causing the humidity to rise (Dosnt work aswell in fauns).

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  19:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks I appreciate that! I feel so silly. We have spgnum for our Leo for shedding so we can try that if the bath and towel doesn't work. We bathed her last night but didn't use a towel. I actually saw the skin come off the head, and found a little more (bits here and there) in the faun the next day, it's just three quarters of her that looks dull and wrinkly. How can I tell if the eyes have come off? They look clear, not cloudy?

I'll give the above a go then and keep you posted - thanks again!!!

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  20:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much all! My Fiancee and I just bathed Bella with a wet towel and eventually she fully shed, including her stubbarn tale end :) She's so bright and smooth and healthy looking again we're over the moon!

Thanks again so so much!!!!

Jon and Cass and lil Bells :)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  04:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

YAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much all! My Fiancee and I just bathed Bella with a wet towel and eventually she fully shed, including her stubbarn tale end :) She's so bright and smooth and healthy looking again we're over the moon!

Thanks again so so much!!!!

Jon and Cass and lil Bells :)

That is great news Jon, I am so pleased to hear it....and it just proves what this forum is here for !

Now need pics of her looking all bright and shiny !!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  11:35:29  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad it all went well!
Pics would be appreciated..!
Don't keep her to yourself!
hahahaha!
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  19:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol thanks folks, will try get some photos soon of the nice shiny Bella :D

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  16:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, this page was incredible helpful. My baby Creamsickle Motley is just about to shed (Looks pale,eyes milky etc) annnd has the little cough/sneeze/click thing going on. I was freaking out! Feeling alot more reassured now. Thanks

Collects spores, molds and fungus ;)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  16:21:32  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great to hear that this thread was of help! Welcome to the forum btw.....go to introductions and say hello, we like to welcome new members. You can tell us about you and your snake and any other pets you have.......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  18:04:37  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

quote:

I've heard that noise too, just before it attacks the mouse..! It's like a battle cry! :P

lol, love it.........morgana has done the same kinda thing just before striking her dinner lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic