Handing as they get larger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Quillruke
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  12:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had my little corn since he was a 4 month old, 5 gram bootlace. He's now a year and a half, about three foot long, and 250 grams.

I'm very short. I'm 4'11, and simply put, I'm starting to have trouble juggling the little chap. I'm worried about him falling off me onto the floor if he starts to climb down my back, but I don't have enough hands to keep hold of him.

Does anyone have any tips for handling large snakes? His growth has slowed down a bit, but he seems set to become a pretty large adult. He might be taller than me eventually. I want to keep handling him, and I intend to, but I also want him to be safe.

0.1.0 carrot tail leopard gecko, Gelbstoff
0.1.0 bearded dragon, Dany
0.0.1 amel stripe het hypo corn snake, Vivec

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2016 :  18:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a 2 year old, Vivec will still be pretty fast moving, which will be a part of the problem. They do calm down with age ( well, most do :-). ) for example, my Twiddie is probably longer than me, but is so quiet and passive when handled, that his size is no problem. On the other hand Bazilishka, who is only 4 feet long, hates handling and will panic, fight and struggle. Handling her is a major battle, as she always makes herself as rigid and unbending as possible, and can be incredibly fast. There again, her adult size and thicker girth make it more manageable than handling a fast and lean yearling, or 2 year old.

I think there is a high chance that Vivec will slow down with time, so his size won't matter. For now, try handling him sitting on the bed, or kneeling on the floor. That way, even if he falls, it won't be a big fall, and you can relax. Don't forget that if you are stressed or worried when handling, he will pick up on it and can panic or struggle more, and will move faster or try to escape.

Only put him back in Viv, after he's calmed down, otherwise he will learn that panic and struggle = going back home. Fortunately, being cold blooded, snakes exhaust themselves quite quickly if they struggle, so he should settle eventually.

I have gone through " flighty" phase with Squidwood recently. After being nice and quiet to handle all of his almost 2 years, he' s recently decided to become completely hysterical if in mood. He's around 110 cm and 330 g, and lightning fast, so l have suffered the " snake bolting over the shoulder " scenario, too :-) he will be 2 in August, so maybe his hormones are kicking in ( he's been leaving sperm plugs around , too :-/

Just don't worry too much and try to persist with calm handling, it will get easier as you become more experienced and confident, and he bigger, heavier, and slower ( or at least easier to hold ).

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2016 :  09:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news, how are you doing with Vivec?

Forgot to say, don't worry about Vivec getting massive, they grow very fast in their first 2 years, quite often going through massive growth spurts, too. But that will slow down soon, and you might find he will start to widen, more than grow. That should make handling easier, too.

I remember thinking that Bazilishka will grow massive ( actually, I think it may have been at around the same age as Vivec is now ), and she's just over 4 feet as an adult now.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2016 :  10:02:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm short too! I'm 5'2 and I have a snake that is also 5'2. I find it easier to handle them sat on a bed on the sofa so that any extra length can spread out a bit and that if they do slip, it should be onto the sofa or bed.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Quillruke
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2016 :  19:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vivec's still a hyperactive little guy. I've started draping him around my neck when I take him out, so his lower body goes down one arm and his upper body down my other, and he can wrap his tail in my shirt or become a scarf. He's usually happy enough to stay put there and just peer around if I'm carrying him places, and gets more active when I sit down. At which point he becomes a menace and goes hurtling off across the room or tries to cram himself down the sofa. He only gets excitable if he's draped around my neck and I go near another person, then he wants o climb on them and see what they're all about. He's a very friendly little guy.

I'm less worried about handling him as he is now than I was when I first got him. He was so tiny and looked so fragile, I had nightmares about accidentally killing or hurting him. Now he's so strong, he got a good squeeze on my neck the other week xD Not enough to hurt, but enough to make me think "cor! When did he stop being a bootlace?"

0.1.0 carrot tail leopard gecko, Gelbstoff
0.1.0 bearded dragon, Dany
0.0.1 amel stripe het hypo corn snake, Vivec
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  19:42:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww bless!

They do tend to dash for sofa gaps though. I once had to cut one of mine out an old chair as he decided to jump in the gap between the cushion and the wood...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  21:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes...sofa gaps... Absolutely fatal. Doesn't matter how big the animal is..they all seem to find their way down a gap!

0.1.0 CB 11Amel Corn "Fuzzy"
0.1.0 CB14 Hypo Jungle Boa "Fizzy"
Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

stoosanub
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2016 :  11:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corns are both still babies at 2 and 2.5 foot but my sisters 7 year old corn is 5 foot 11, i have to be honest i struggle with her when i put her round my neck, but i find her much easier to handle wrapping her around my arm, shes quite happy there and its easier to get hold of her when she gets a scent or sees a gap and tried to go running XD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000