Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spencer_Scales
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  22:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All
I have a little bit of a problem I have had my cornsnake a month now and she hasnt fed once before that the breeder send me her records and she fed everytime for her 8 times in total.

I read it could be due to stress from the move.

I have tried putting her in a different enclosure for feeding, tried wiggling the mouse (but in recent contact with the breeder she said they weren't strike feeders so this probs would be just scaring them) I have tried placing the mouse in her enclosure over night for 12+, braining the mouse. I even tried placing a bit of the pinkie in her mouth but as soon as i set her down she spat it out.

after reading more I have been advised to not handle her until she feeds twice I havent handled her for over 2 weeks now although she does seem alot happier and settled she comes out on a night for a slither round but still hasn't fed.

I have read cornsnakes can go 6 months eithout food and 7-10 days without water is this the case for babies?

just wondering if any of you could give me any more ideas to try I feel more relaxed that they can go months without feeding but its still frustrating

Thank you all for your time.

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  19:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Spencer

How old is your snake, please? Also, please can you give a description of your setup, ie temperatures at each end, how you light and heat the enclosure, what the dimensions are (I'm guessing it's a vivarium), what decorations/plants/hides etc you have in there. Once we know that, we may be able to help give an idea of what is causing her not to eat

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

Spencer_Scales
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  21:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kez
I was advised Vivariums are too big for baby cornsnakes so she is in a faunarium (17inch by 10inch) for the time being, warm end reaches 28.8 celsius and the cool end sits at around 24 celsius I heat with a heat mat and microclimate ministat 100 and i have exoterra thermometers. I have 2x hides (the black rectangle plastic ones) one on either side hot and cold. I have a water bowl in the middle but more towards the cool side also I have toilet roll tubes for extra hiding I have recently added 2x branches (because i have seen her climbing along the top of the faunarium) so i figured i would provide her with some climbing obstacles all this sits on the aspen bedding and the hygrometer reads about 48%

thank you kindly for your help and time
Go to Top of Page

Spencer_Scales
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  21:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry I missed a question - she hatched 2nd June 2018 so she will be 14weeks old this coming Saturday
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  22:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Spencer, thanks for the information.

Is the thermometer a dial type, or a digital one with a probe on the heatmat; I'm assuming the heatmat is inside the faunarium? Also, do you have any plants in there that she can hide under or in when she's moving around?

Something else to consider is where her enclosure is situated in your home. Is it in a heavy traffic area, or near to speakers etc that could cause vibration and do you have any other pets, like cats or dogs that could be disturbing her when you're not around? As she's in a faunarium, you could try covering the two sides and back with something to help make her feel secure. If she's being particularly elusive and hiding away, she could be coming up to shedding; this is also another reason for not eating. I know you mentioned that you've left the pinky in the enclosure overnight previously; have you tried doing this with the faunarium being covered? Some snakes like to eat in privacy, as crazy as that may sound

Have you tried defrosting the pinky in quite hot water, but not hot enough that it would cook it, as heating the food can bring the snake to show more interest? You could use a hairdryer as an alternative to do the same job. Another trick that I have heard other owners use is to buy some tuna in brine and take some of the tuna out and rub it over the pinky to give it the scent; that may help. It could literally just be that she's still settling in and you just need to be persistent with trying to get her to feed, but you don't want to do it too often as that can cause stress too.

I hope some of these may be of help to you

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

Spencer_Scales
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  21:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kez
I do have a dial one as it is a dual with the hygrometer but no I am using a digital one with a probe the heat mat isnt actual inside it is underneath i have the probe of the thermostat on the heat mat but the probe from the thermometer is on top of the aspen under the warm end hide

her enclosure is behind the couch we have x dogs bu they cant get to her our street isnt busy but where she is is at the back of our house and we have a back garden so thats even quieter

I have not tried covering or anything yet so that is one thing to try also I have not tried the tuna method I have read about it but when I was in talks with the breeder who I got her from she said DO Not scent with tuna (I dont know why) but i may have to go against her words

I have tried the hot water as this is what the lady in the pet shop advised she said although corns do not have heat pits so heat shouldnt matter but shes had stubborn eaters and heating it a litlle hotter has worked for her in the past

Yeah Thats what i put it down to that she is still settling in I was just looking for some more information that you have kindly gave so thank you for that

never thought about using a hair dryer :) learn something new everyday

just as a matter of interest when you say you dont want to try too often I have read try every 5-7days I have been trying weekly is this okay or would you leave it longer

Thank you again for all your time and help

Much Apreshiated
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000