New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  21:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya, long time no post aha, probably about 6 years since I last posted.

Note: If you want to skip the long ramble, see the picture at the bottom.

Anyway, daft question, but here it is. I have a large, empty wooden vivarium sat on top of my Bearded Dragons vivarium, which is heated by a heat lamp. The heat obviously transfers through the roof of the Beardies viv, and into/through the floor of the empty vivarium.
I've been measuring the floor temps from within a RUB with substrate inside the empty viv, and with the RUB on the opposite side to where the lamp is underneath, I'm consistently getting a hotend temp of 27c, and a cool end temp of approx 22c within the rub, and this can be adjusted depending on where in the empty viv the RUB is placed (closer to the lamp underneath increases temps for example). I've been measuring for about a week. It seems to provide quite a nice, even temperature gradient.

Directly over the lamp is about 31c, so a smidge too hot, but I've got my dubia roaches on that side as they like it warm!

Temps are dropping to 21c overnight when the lights are off.

Would it be a crazy idea to utilise this already generated heat during the day instead of having a heatmat on 24/7? I'd still have a mat and stat, but set it to only come on at night if the room were to drop below 21c? Or possibly set it to something like 25c to kick in and maintain a warm end during the night?

This would obviously be jigged around once the intended inhabitant (a very special little corn) has grown enough to have the whole vivarium (3.5ft x 2ft x 2ft).

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  08:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spreebok! Welcome back :-)

I don't think it's daft at all - whatever works- in fact, l think it's a brilliant idea.

I have similar situation and was wondering the same: I have 2 vivs on top of each other. They each have a heatmat for 24/7 heat and a daylight bulb for the day ( all stated ). Now - here's the thing: the heat from the bulb in the bottom viv transfers through the floor of the top one, right next to the heatmat - and Twid actually prefers to lie on top of that patch, rather than the heatmat!

Anyway, what is this very special little corn that's coming up? :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  08:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.s. Like the drawing of a beardie, LOL! :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly