Mite Treatment - Frontline
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  08:41:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Signs of Mites

Black specs in the water bowl. One of a snake's natural defences against mites is to try to drown them, so you may find them in their water bowl:

Your snake may also become dehydrated and their skin and eye condition may deteriorate:

The most obvious sign though is obviously finding them under the scales, usually on the belly:

Treatment by Frontline of Snake

Bought from my vets, Frontline spray for cats:

Spray 2 or 3 times onto a piece of Kitchen towel and wipe the snake down a few times from neck to tail, making sure to avoid the head.

Take the snake out of the viv and into a RUB, using plain white kitchen towel as substrate so that you can see any mites. Use disposable cardboard hides in the RUB and a small waterbowl, big enough to drink from, but not big enough for the snake to bathe in.

Change substrate and hide regularly, every 2 to 3 days or as you see mites. Hides made from cut up cereal boxes or such like are ideal as cheap and easy to get hold of.

2 to 3 days after the Frontline application, bathe the snake in a bath (washing up bowl) as deep as the snake and at the temperature of the hot end of the viv (30-35C) with a few tablespoons of olive oil in. Give the bath a swirl to mix prior to introducing the snake. Leave the snake in for 15 - 20 mins, the oil will help suffocate the mites. Dry with kitchen towel, the snake will still be oily. Repeat this every 2 to 3 days.

2 weeks after the initial Frontline treatment, repeat application via kitchen towel to the snake.

Treatment by Frontline of Vivarium

When the snake has been removed from the viv (the fumes are very toxic and can take several days to dissipate - its easier to remove the snake for the entire duration) remove and dispose of all furniture that cannot be baked or sprayed with Frontline.

Anything that can be baked should be done so for at least an hour at at least 160C. Other furniture (such as resin hides and water bowls) can be sprayed with frontline at the same time as the viv.

Spray the viv thoroughly with Frontline on all surfaces. Place kitchen towel on the bottom of the viv so that you can check for signs of mites, close the doors to keep the fumes in and leave.

Repeat this process 2 weeks later.

Returning Snake to Vivarium

2 weeks after the second treatment (4 weeks in total), thoroughly check the viv and snake for mites, there should be none and the snake can be returned to the viv. If there are any signs of mites repeat the processes above for another 2 weeks.

Your snake is unlikely to want to eat during this time.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  06:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i found it difficult to find mites on my snakes and i eventually noticed that if you hold the snake up to a bright light such as a reading lamp the snake becomes transparent looking and you can see solid black dots on the snake which is more then likely a mite.

I've also bought some Betadine for the snakes after i soak them in warm water in a critter cage i add the Betadine to help heal any damage the mites may have caused.

What people have identified my corns as.

0.1.0 - Rosie - Caramel or Hypo Motley
1.0.0 - Houdini - Amber or Caramel
1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  13:57:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as far as i'm aware Betadine isn't marketed as 'reptile safe' in the UK....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 21/10/2010 07:41:24
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's safe for reptiles, helps the wounds heal if any, i just use it for the mites if they have caused any damage. recommended by reptile shops.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  19:23:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just checked, it IS available off license

though manufacturers don't specifically say it's safe for reptiles it does seem to be used with success..........

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  01:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The information i've read on it and been told on how to use it.

Get a little critter cage and put warm water in it and let the snake soak for about 10 minutes to drown any mites and in case the snake wants to drink. After that, put a little betadine in the water and mix it up letting the snake soak for another 5-10 minutes. After the Betadine soak, remove your snake with a warm cloth and let them crawl through it to rub them clean.

*NOTE* Using Betadine may temporary dye your snake. Not to panic, your snake will return to normal color within a day or two. (i've experienced this for myself)

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  07:28:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for UK members - a product specifically marketed as 'reptile safe' such as Tamodine or Vetadine is recommended.

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  18:38:56  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got a hypo motely and I thought he was infested with mites all along his tummy when I first got him cus he has loooads of black little specs...but they were just his pattern

I'm shocked to see frontline is suitable for snakes though! I thought it was a mammal thing haha

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  08:52:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's not licensed for use in reptiles but has been used with success, it's important to use the spray not the pipettes
as its now POM (Prescription Only Medication) legally your vet has to see the animal it's been purchased for in the last 12 months though some practices may have a policy of 6 months

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  18:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frontline is not safe to use ON the snake itself, some may argue that, and have experience with doing it, however, i have know snakes being killed because people use frontline on them. Snakes can absorb moisture through their skin, and can absorb frontline too. It is highly highly toxic to them.
The best thing to do with front line is to treat their viv or tub, wait for it to dry, then put the snake back in, any mites leaving the snake will be killed on contact with the frontline. It stays active for around 3 months, thats the method i use, and has worked for me.
I bathe the snakes in water mixed with fairy liquid alongside the frontline treatment,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000