The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Bazilishka update...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  17:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Booked in for tomorrow morning to see another vet.

Spoke to my vet again on Saturday, and he suggested just waiting and monitoring her, as the egg is not causing her a problem, and to re x ray if she starts having problems, but he said he's not confident to operate onher. However, after all my research now and before, l'm convinced the egg needs to come out, especially as she's started roaming and digging in her cage last 3 days, and hasn't pooped after the last meal. The egg is not moving down.

I was hoping to see a reptile specialist in Bristol, but can't drive that far with my neck, and hubby can't take the time off - so an exotics vet in Exeter has agreed to see Baz tomorrow...poor Baz, 4 weeks now she's had the egg stuck...Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  19:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed for her, i know how much we care for our pets,they are more like family! xxx


0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5287 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  10:42:19  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Four weeks is far too long :( hope she can get sorted out ASAP x

0.1.0 Normal corn (Sonny)
1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  17:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back home- and Bazilishka is booked for an operation next Thursday...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5287 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  18:25:40  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another week to wait? Poor girl, hope she'll be ok

0.1.0 Normal corn (Sonny)
1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  07:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, but the lady vet only works Thursdays and Fridays at that particular surgery ( and that's where they have the facilities for snakes etc ). Also, l fed Baz this Monday, so by then she will be empty.

She did say that it's possible the egg would eventually calcify and just stay inside her, but it would have to be monitored as it could start causing problems anytime. She could get infections, or impactions, and than we would be operating on a sick snake, as opposed to a healthy one... there is minimal chance that she would pass it naturally as it hasn't moved at all. In fact, l'm worried it had burst, because it had been clearly visible from the outside, and now it isn't, though you can still feel it.

She also recommended bathing Baz to keep her hydrated. I had bathed her on Monday before feed, because she didn't poop at all from the previous meal but she didn't poop even in the bath ( that was another reason why I wanted Baz to see a vet ). I wasn't going to bath her yesterday as l thought she'd had enough with the travel ( and near miss accident, and only day 3 after feed ). But Baz wasn't keen to get back in her viv, so l though ok, a quick bath just to see - and she actually enjoyed it and did a poop - but really strange one, so l wonder if it was the contents of the egg. She will have an x ray before the op, so if anything has changed they will see it. I did take a photo of the poop for the vet.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5287 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  10:39:34  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope everything goes ok today!

0.1.0 Normal corn (Sonny)
1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2018 :  09:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaaarghh...still didn't go in... Bazilishka started going blue on Monday...talk about timing, you couldn't make it up! Rung the surgery, and it was decided to postpone the op till after the shed, as it's not ideal to operate on a blue snake.

I'm hoping she'll shed quickly and can go in next Thursday, but she is still not fully blue yet, so it will probably be the week after...now l'm wondering what if she decides to double clutch - will the new eggs be developing by then? She will have an x ray before the op, anyway, so they would be able to tell. I'm loosing the will to live... Baz seems ok in herself, l fed her on Monday once l knew she wasn't going for the op this week, and she ate, even though she was going blue, so hopefully at least that is a good sign.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5287 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2018 :  19:06:05  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Never heard of them not opping when blue.
She really needed that egg out like 4 weeks ago. Really hope she's going to be ok, but it has been a damn long time

0.1.0 Normal corn (Sonny)
1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2018 :  16:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typical! hope she will be ok xx


0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2018 :  17:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least a little bit of luck- Baz shed last night, and the lady vet managed to get her booked in for this Friday - so, hopefully, that will be sorted now...unless Baz decides to double clutch

I'm really crossing everything that the op will go well...Baz is looking good, put on some weight, ate well even in blue, and the last poop was exemplary... but l can't feel the egg anymore. They will x ray or scan her before the op, anyway, to see where the egg is and what is going on...

Scaly, l know, if it had been up to me, she would have had the op 4 weeks ago...

Her eggs in the incubator are looking well, and we are on day 39 ...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2018 :  08:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, Bazilishka is going in for the operation this morning, please, please, send her some good thoughts as she will need it....

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5287 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2018 :  10:30:28  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What time is she due in?
Sending big hugs

0.1.0 Normal corn (Sonny)
1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2018 :  11:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They admitted her this morning, but not sure what time they operate, guess around lunch time. If it's a simple op, she could even come home this evening, but more likely tomorrow, but if they find complications, or have to spay her, she may have to stay longer. The lady vet said Bazilishka was nice and healthy so hopefully that helps, but l feel sick all the time...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2018 :  11:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to say -thank you , Scaly...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5287 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2018 :  15:03:31  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any news?

0.1.0 Normal corn (Sonny)
1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2018 :  17:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still waiting for the call...the nurse spoke to me half way through the operation - and as l was worried, Baz has already made another lot of eggs :-0

They have removed the old, rotten egg that was stuck, and two more of the new ones, but then l had to choose - if they were to remove all of her new eggs, they would have had to make several more incisions ( as the new eggs weren't movable ) and it would have been a massive operation with more risk -or to close her up, and wait for her to lay the rest of the new eggs naturally. The second option was the one the vet was recommending, and as she is pretty experienced, l had gone with that one.

There is always a danger the new eggs could get stuck, too, but with the problematic egg removed, and everything looking ok, there should be no reason why she couldn't lay them normally when the time comes. Obviously, l'll have to watch her for any problems.

So my worries aren't over yet...but at least the old egg is out. Still waiting for a call, so don't really know anything more for now...

I really, really wish l had gone to this vet within days of the egg being stuck, and not trusted so much my original vet - as she could have been fully healed up by now, so it would have been less worry when the new eggs are coming... but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Doesn't stop me beating myself up about it though.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5287 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2018 :  18:44:06  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel - we just want to do the best by our babies.
Really hope she lays the second clutch no problems and she recovers ASAP

0.1.0 Normal corn (Sonny)
1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2018 :  21:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldnt say it any better than Scaly already has!


0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2515 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2018 :  17:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Bazilishka is home. The op site is oozing a tiny bit, but the scar and the stitches look very neat and tidy, you almost can't see them. She has antibiotics and painkillers... but has barely moved on the way home, though l am told she's been roaming the viv at the vets :-)

I had disinfected the viv and hides, and she has to be on paper ( which should be good for monitoring any bleeding or discharge, too ) . She's gone back to her warm hide, and seems really tired, so l'll leave her in peace for the rest of the day.

Will have to try and get some food in her soon, especially as she's got about 9 new eggs in her. Thought about putting the meds in the food, but if she refuses, we've lost a dose ( and the mice, as l wouldn't be able to feed them to another snake ), so probably not a good idea.

My problem is, she has to be kept dry, so no moist moss in lay box though she will be allowed torn up paper towels. l have no clue when the eggs will be due. She has shed 6 days ago - so could be soon IF that was pre lay shed - but is seems way too soon after the first lot. I believe they lay around the time the eggs are hatching - and they are only on day 44.

I'm hoping she still has some time to go, as the new eggs were still undeveloped ... fortunately, the eggs she'll have to lay are pass the operation site, so will not have to pass the scar bit ( the ones that were behind the stuck egg have been taken out ).

So that's about it for now...l'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and look after her.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000