The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Breeding Season Blues D:

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Spreebok Posted - 21/02/2012 : 13:04:59
Hey all, it's my first experience of the breeding season with an adult male, and my GOD.
He won't sit still. He hasn't eaten in two months (I'm not fussed about that, he's a porker anyway), but I'm concerned because he's hurting himself trying to get out to find some laydeees.

He's pulled up some scales on his head and neck (he's only just shed too ;___; ) and he's full on rubbing his nose on the corner of the door trying to open it. What can I do to settle him down before he really hurts himself? Or should I just strip the viv to the bare minimum to limit damage?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 23/02/2012 : 21:21:19
*sniggers at thread*

Oooh ouch at the wounds though :(
Auld Baldy Posted - 23/02/2012 : 16:44:08
It's not just the the boys with the rampant hormones. Blaze happened to catch sight of Big T when I had her out last night. She went absolutely mental trying to get at him. Even when I put her back into her own viv she stayed in the 'active hunting' mode which she usually only shows at feeding time. I don't know if she was offended by Big T's apparent rejection, he just looked at her and blew her a snakey raspberry.

Normally she is very calm and docile but this blatant floozie behaviour was shocking.

I'm calling Blaze 'she' although hasn't been probed but does have the typical step and narrow tail of a female.
Sta~ple Posted - 23/02/2012 : 16:30:44
Hehehe I'm kinda lucky, my 14 year old boy corn despite being horny and trashing his viv and everything has never missed a meal in his life (probably explains why he is so fat!)
Dancross0 Posted - 23/02/2012 : 16:15:12
It's a nightmare when they get to this time of the year.

This pic shows the rubbing wound that Plissken done to his snout last year, and this is after about 3 sheds worth of healing....

Adding the loss of appetite (he didn't eat for 2.5 months!), and it all gets a bit stressful!
garrie Posted - 23/02/2012 : 14:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

That's barely a scratch in snake terms lol. A memeber of TRP suggested inventing CORNtraceptives and just throwing the males in with accepting females.

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Yeah, but it's the biggest he's ever done haha! And hey, that's a bloody good idea! We should give females The Coil! (OOOHH Snake puns!)

Like and like!
Spreebok Posted - 22/02/2012 : 20:45:38
Yeah, but it's the biggest he's ever done haha! And hey, that's a bloody good idea! We should give females The Coil! (OOOHH Snake puns!)
lotabob Posted - 22/02/2012 : 20:36:47
That's barely a scratch in snake terms lol. A memeber of TRP suggested inventing CORNtraceptives and just throwing the males in with accepting females.
Sta~ple Posted - 22/02/2012 : 20:35:24
I'd leave his scale, it will sort itself out.

I'll have to look round, I've seen the giant/jumbo sized ones for like £7 though in petshops :o
Spreebok Posted - 22/02/2012 : 20:24:41
Oh dear, I was considering the nice Mexi Black they have in my local as well! :P
I know right! I don't know if I should pull it/cut it off to stop it catching more, or just leave it!

And I picked it up for like, £2.50 at my local garden centre, as I was there at the time, but most petshops usually sell them too! They're for like, rabbits and small furries like that! They have bigger and smaller ones too :)
Sta~ple Posted - 22/02/2012 : 20:20:29
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Already experiencing it haha! All I could hear last night was *thud* *squeeeeeeak* *thud* *thump* *squeak* *thud*

I had a look and his was switching between rubbing his nose all over the glass to throwing toilet rolls and his log about!

Imagine the thudding and the nose rubbing but all year round... that's what having a king is like haha.

Looking at his head though I am trying to resist the urge to come round and super glue it down!

I love the massive chube, where you get it from been looking for a cheap massive one for the pink budgie.
Spreebok Posted - 22/02/2012 : 19:59:29
Well, less for him to poke his head on, no doubt he'll find another way though! :P
ScalySituation Posted - 22/02/2012 : 19:52:31
ooh dear that looks sore :( hope that sorts him out
Spreebok Posted - 22/02/2012 : 19:37:59
Okay, Holl's viv has been de-funned and made all bare and slightly safer haha!

From this:

(Can you spot tube-ception in this one? He did that himself somehow!)

To his (had to keep his big tube though :D):

And lovely dig on his head:

(Resisting the urge to pull it, I'm a scab picker haha! Also, don't mind the flash, only way to get the bleeding photos to come out!)
Spreebok Posted - 22/02/2012 : 13:40:08
Already experiencing it haha! All I could hear last night was *thud* *squeeeeeeak* *thud* *thump* *squeak* *thud*

I had a look and his was switching between rubbing his nose all over the glass to throwing toilet rolls and his log about!
Sta~ple Posted - 22/02/2012 : 13:36:16
Just wait until you hears the crashes and bangs from climbing on object ad falling off lol.
Spreebok Posted - 22/02/2012 : 12:16:00
Hey Ozziesmum,

I guessed as much, I'm hoping he'll calm down a bit now, as one of my yearling females was in shed, and I considered that he may have been attracted to the hormones they supposedly give out, as he's been worse whilst she was in blue. She's shed now, and he's actually in his hide for once, so we'll see!
And thanks for the offer, but his trying to get out via the corners, not the middle, so I'd have nowhere to put it! But thankyou very much though :)
ozziesmum Posted - 22/02/2012 : 11:33:02
Hi Spreebok,

I'm afraid you are just going to have to sit it out, I'm going through my second year with Rhubarb, he's now gone 13 weeks without eating and still trashing the viv every night. I have put paper binders on the doors to stop the nose rubbing and I have still got some spares if you want some just drop me your email and I will send some out for next day delivery.
LarkaDawg Posted - 21/02/2012 : 21:52:53
Yikes! I haven't got much help either, sorry. But you could take out hard/rough objects and maybe put felt or soft material along the bottom inside of the glass? Not sure how you would attach it though. Good Luck x
Katie.Dublin Posted - 21/02/2012 : 18:10:21
Nothing useful here either! Give him a lend of your laptop and let him blow off some steam :P
Georgina Posted - 21/02/2012 : 17:23:47
i have no construtive help, but i can imagine you padding out his viv like a cell! x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000