The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information- Stickies
 Finding a lost snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kellog Posted - 30/09/2010 : 03:26:35
Corn snakes are escape artists....they can get through the smallest hole and slip between pieces of glass. Did you realise they can squash their heads and flatten their ribs ??? Supposedly anywhere their head can go their body will follow. And it is their natural instinct to try and escape....it doesnt necessarily mean they are unhappy....they just want to get away ! NEVER take your eyes off them when they are outside of their fauns/vivs or leave the faun/viv door open slightly....they move so fast you have no chance of catching them!

IF your snake escapes these are some notes I have made to help you find it.... (and much thanks to other forum members for their tips 'borrowed')

It is exceedingly distressing when you realise your snake has escaped and the first (and natural) reaction is to panic. The main thing is for you to control that panic and not give up hope....corns are amazingly hardy and resourceful so can survive a long time, it is just a case of you finding it.

You need to start searching for it very methodically.

Firstly, and I know this may sound silly, but make sure that your snake has actually escaped. Could it be hiding in the substrate or in a small hole in a branch you have in the faun/viv? A few forum members have thought their snakes lost but then discovered them buried in substrate. One totally emptied his viv, no snake....but then discovered her curled up under the branch he'd removed, in a really tiny hole.

When you look start from the very top of the room your snake has escaped into....ceiling. Start slowly and come down from there to the top of lampshades if any, down electric wires, anything that dangles from the ceiling. Then choose the least cluttered wall and start to go down it methodically. If there are shelves, everything comes off them and only gets put back once it's been inspected, books opened, etc. If there are cupboards the drawers come out completely, and, if possible, the cupboard or closet gets pulled away from the wall so the area behind it can be searched too.

The frame of mind is to inspect every surface no matter how unlikely. The floor and any object on it gets done last, and any carpets would get their underside inspected too if possible. If still nothing, go under the floorboards. For those awkward places with the pipes get a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect the hidden areas. Apart from "every surface" also think as if you are looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lens.

Check near any heat sources - near and behind radiators, pipes, in and behind the oven and electric fires, the washer, behind the fridge, in computer housing and around their leads, under keypards, even inside the printer, behind tv, stereo, boiler, in the airing cupboard, etc.....your corn will search out heat.

Look and see if any of your sofas and chairs has holes in them that the snake could have crawled into. Also look in pillows and cushions.
Make sure you check all clothing; in pockets, sleeves, legs....in piles of towels, sheets. Especially check dirty stuff about to go in the washing machine....one forum member nearly sent her escaped snake for a wet wash.

Check handbags, rucksacks and the like.

Try putting the viv on the floor near a dish of water; it may decide to come home by itself. You must put a number of water dishes down because a snake can go for a long time without food but not long without water. Sprinkling flour around the water dishes is a good idea as then you can see ‘slither’ marks in it if your snake comes out at night to drink....proving it is still there.

You could try turning down the heat in the rest of the house and turning it up in the room you hope your snake is in. Also you could try putting the heatmat in a corner with a towel over it and pillows round it, to give somewhere warm and safe to hide. A hot water bottle would work as well, as long as it is totally covered so that the snake cannot come into direct contact with it while it is hot.

I have heard of owners sitting up all night in case the missing snake puts in an appearance, which may be an idea for you to try. Put bits of foil or crumpled wrapping paper along skirting boards, because the snake will move along the edge of the room were it feels safe, and hopefully you will then hear it move.

Depending on when it was last fed, it may be worthwhile putting a bottle trap out. This is how to make one – Bottle trap You could try braining the bait and smearing some of the juice on the outside to grab the attention of the snake.

Dont leave a pinky/mouse in a bottle trap for more than 24hrs...throw it away. Wait a few days and then try again.

If the snake was fed recently then put down some boxes like empty cereal boxes in warm places, it'll be looking for a warm secure place to digest. Again, you can use covered hot water bottles to offer extra warm places for it to go.

Another place to put flour is across doorways so you can see slither marks which will show the snake is around and whether it has gone into or out of a room. You can also put it around the edges of the rooms as they will move around where they feel safest....any slither marks are signs of hope and show whether the snake is in that room and moving around.

Some people suggest you put sticky tape down to try and 'catch' the snake, but this can be very dangerous to them and I would seriously advise against it.

These are some examples of where people have found their snakes - in a box file of paperwork, behind books on a shelf, on a bathroom shelf, curled up in-between plugs in a 4 point adaptor, in a dressing gown pocket and in their granddad's room in his towel basket as he got out a towel to have a shower! One forum member's OH opened the living room window, pulled the curtain because of the sun, they heard a thud, thought it was a candle falling over, so didn't take any notice and a few minutes later the snake appeared trying to climb up the wall. Just recently a snake disappeared and reappeared as the forum member sat at his laptop to log onto TCS....snaking its way up the power cord! And finally a forum member’s snake went missing whilst "holidaying" with the neighbours and it finally came home after 7 months, perfectly fit & well. The neighbours walked into their kitchen and found it curled up on their breadboard!

I hope some of this has been of some help and hopefully other forum members will add their own tips to this thread as well.

The main thing is not to give up hope....snakes have gone missing for days, weeks, months and even years....and still turned up healthy and happy.

xxx
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 06/11/2014 : 07:37:27
Sorry I haven't commented earlier Julia. Your snake has shown just how brilliant at escape our corns are. I'm just glad that she didn't stray far, although I'm sure those 3 hrs felt like a lot longer!

Xxx
hopeful_corn_owner Posted - 19/10/2014 : 19:51:26
Inca (my Anery) managed to escape her vivarium at some point on Friday when I was out at work. She was in her Viv which was locked completely when I left for work (about 7am)....come back home (6pm) to find Inca missing...it took nearly 3 hours of searching for her...and where did we find her...on top of the toilet cistern (thankfully not inside it). She had managed to escape through a hole in my wall where the heater pipes went lol!

Needless to say that I am now looking for a more secure lock for my Vivarium now lol.

Julia x
Isoldael Posted - 16/11/2012 : 11:24:28
My little hatchie from last year (Pinky), who shouldn't be so little anymore, still hasn't turned up either. I feel that chances she'll return are slim, but I'll keep on hoping... :)
Lozzy Posted - 16/11/2012 : 09:36:31
Im still holding out hope for my little madam, she has been gone about 6/7 months now!
nkitch Posted - 16/11/2012 : 00:34:08
I lost my snake for over a month......turned the house upside down several times to no avail. Then one night I heard a noise upstairs and there she was on the landing ! I did seek advice from a reptile keeper at a local zoo, he said don't worry it will turn up .......he was right !
lukehughes72 Posted - 03/11/2012 : 17:35:51
My corn has escaped twice on me now! The first time I searched for hours not finding it and was really worried! The next morning I found it at the bottom of set of drawers! How it got in there I dont know! The second time it got to the top of my cupboard and sat behind all my books! Always remember to just keep the door shut in the room where your snake/snakes are and you have a better chance of finding them in the one room rather than the whole house!
Welshlamb Posted - 28/09/2012 : 09:06:45
Any one had any luck recovering their lost snakes? Would be really nice to hear some success stories. Never give up!
Welshlamb Posted - 11/09/2012 : 13:14:25
Has anyone thought of making a guide of things needed for vivs and precautions that should be made. As if I had never been on this forum my little pal, would be missing by now.

I was not aware that the vents where in the wrong way round and could be pushed through.
Also did not realise that they could squash through the glass panels.
Also info about bulb cages was useful and I have now removed and decided to use led's

May have already been done.
Welshlamb Posted - 09/09/2012 : 18:01:05
quote:
Originally posted by Lozzy

quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

Jee this is terrible. I had a scare this morning, as I know my corn has most of his fun during the night. I always fear to come down and he's escaped his viv. This morning I thought he'd done a fast one and then I discovered him hiding deep in substrate. Big deep breathe!

I have the vivx 24" vivarium and fear that he may get out. Although he is about 10 - 15" long and I have watched him try to squeeze through the glass. I only hope that he does not get lost or worse injured.

Can't wait until he's put more weight on...

I hope that all of you manage to find your corns and wish you the best of luck as I can understand your pain

These spine bars will fit the glass and make you feel a bit better about snakey getting between the glass

Do you mean the ones that come on A4 books? I'll try that out
Lozzy Posted - 09/09/2012 : 14:55:17
quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

Jee this is terrible. I had a scare this morning, as I know my corn has most of his fun during the night. I always fear to come down and he's escaped his viv. This morning I thought he'd done a fast one and then I discovered him hiding deep in substrate. Big deep breathe!

I have the vivx 24" vivarium and fear that he may get out. Although he is about 10 - 15" long and I have watched him try to squeeze through the glass. I only hope that he does not get lost or worse injured.

I hope that all of you manage to find your corns and wish you the best of luck as I can understand your pain

These spine bars will fit the glass and make you feel a bit better about snakey getting between the glass
Welshlamb Posted - 09/09/2012 : 13:24:22

Clairetaryn Posted - 08/07/2012 : 09:00:52
Really need help my two month old corn snake escaped last night and I don't know what to do! I have turned the front room where they r kept upside Down and then realised he could have left the room etc I have only had him five days and am learning about them as I go but where the hell could he b ? He is due to b fed tomorrow so does that mean he will come out for it of I put it out? Sorry I'm panicking as I don't want him Hurt an I have cats too!!
toasterbot123 Posted - 02/07/2012 : 17:56:37
thank you so much for this post it is really helpful seeing as I am freaking out right now but have done what you said about the thermostat and have put a water dish and some pinkies down as well as turning the light on in his tank and seeing as I have already turned the house upside down I guess all I can do is wait with crossed fingers
cobweb251 Posted - 15/06/2012 : 15:13:08
great guide
Kat Posted - 15/06/2012 : 13:46:03
Just recaptured Omari the escapologist here for the second time! He went missing at Christmas, turned up 2 months later in the downstairs bathroom, curled up under a towel that had fallen on the floor at 3 am. Was back for about 3 weeks, I'd re-sealed every bit of the viv, blocked doors, cable access points, everything, went to feed him and he was AWOL again! We think he managed to get his nose between the glass and the side wall and nudge the glass over the 2 mm that seems to be necessary for escaping. Been missing 3 months this time and turned up in exactly the same place on Monday morning, at pretty much exactly the same time. Only difference this time was that the door in the bathroom is sticking, so poor nephew had to climb out of the window carrying a snake 'cause he had nothing secure to put him in and didn't want to leave him in case he vanished back into the floorboards

Have now swapped him and Cleo the Leo around 'cause Cleo's viv has plastic runners up the sides so less chance of slipping out there. Silicone sealant everywhere!
Rob801 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 10:10:19
quote:
Originally posted by Connies dad

Well, It's my turn!

Connie, my 8 month old Amel Corn has escaped, I've emptied the room she was in completely, she's not there. My main concern is that we have 2 dogs, and whilst we have clearly kept them out of the dining room (where connie is kept) if she did decide to wonder out I'm sure they'd eat her, and as she's only about 14" long and the thickness of a big biro, there probably wouldn't be any evidence.

To add to the problem, my other half is screwing! I've told her it is unlikely that connie will come out of the dining room, but that seems incorrect.

I've baited traps for the past 2 nights, and she hasn't been fed for over a week, should I continue to bait them every night or wait a couple of days?

I fear if I don't find her soon I'm going to have a very expensive hotel bill for the other half!

Hope you had some luck with yours... Just thought I'd say that we also have two large labs and a cat and our Corn (apparently) survived for at least 3 months despite the odds against him (cold weather, animals, and having to fend for himself, before we found him deceased (see my other post).

My wife was also completely terrified and wouldn't sleep in our room for two weeks (we had him in our room when he escaped due to remodeling in my sons room). She developed a kind of phobia for snakes after stepping on a baby rattle snake in our front yard when we lived in So Calif.

I wasn't sure she would ever go along with our son getting another snake but she was actually the one that called me Friday morning and said that they found "the" perfect Corn for our son. She talked to the owner and even drove him out to pick him up. So no matter how distraught your better half is, there is always hope.

Good luck on finding Connie.
Rob801 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 09:50:02
quote:
Originally posted by twigleroo

hey did he ever turn up ? my newest snake which was 3 months old escaped from hes rub and my house is 4 bedrooms no upstairs carpets and plenty of floorboards as wed just moved in, i tried mouse on a heat mat etc for the first three days. and then read putting talc in your door ways to catch any slithering was a good way to an indication were he was, the same night i came upstairs there were slither marks in two door ways so bugga lugs was doing hes rounds visiting rooms lol cut a long story short three weeks after he escaped and numerous near misses in the talc i went into my bedroom turned the light on and he was 'playing'in the pile of talc, quick dip in a bowl of water two pinkies later and box locked down hes settled in well i never thought id see him again but he just turned up dont give up hope and hope he comes back soon if hes still on hes adventure x

Sorry about the very late response... Glad to hear yours came back :).

We found him in late January, deceased unfortunately. The first month or so after he escaped there were times when we thought we could hear kind of a slither then thump sound as if he was maybe in a wall somewhere and would crawl up and fall down again but we could never localize it. I also tried the bottle trap with pinkies a few times obviously with no luck.

After a couple of months we kind of gave up hope but still new he could pop up suddenly if we were lucky. I told my son that we should wait till at least after Christmas until we started looking for a new corn snake just in case.

Then one day in January my daughter was out helping my wife with the horses and she ran into the house to tell me that she thought they found Drako. When I went out I could see it was him. He was dead but still full of color (but hadn't grown) and wasn't dried out or anything so I think he survived all that time (maybe in hibernation?). My wife found him in one of the horse boxes that was only used to feed our foal before being put back with his mother (so there was no need to clean it out completely for months)... it was filled with the same thing we used for his substrate (hemp parade), so he must felt at home in it. It looked like he had been stepped on recently (poor thing), inadvertently, by my either my wife or our foal.

I can only imagine the journey/adventure he had from our house to the horse stable which although connected by other buildings, is still one story below and about 30 meters away with all kinds of obstacles between. He was definitely a survivor and if he hadn't been trampled there is actually a really good chance that we would have found him alive and well and recaptured him.

We were still extremely glad that we found him so that we could have some kind of closure and not have to wonder what happened to him.

We just bought a new (Mexican) Corn Snake Friday. This one is (almost?) full grown, 2.5 years old, extremely good natured, and used to being handled daily... we also put a lock on the enclosure so for the time being it is my only wife and I that control when he is in and out of his enclosure ;).
Connies dad Posted - 11/05/2012 : 13:15:42
Well, It's my turn!

Connie, my 8 month old Amel Corn has escaped, I've emptied the room she was in completely, she's not there. My main concern is that we have 2 dogs, and whilst we have clearly kept them out of the dining room (where connie is kept) if she did decide to wonder out I'm sure they'd eat her, and as she's only about 14" long and the thickness of a big biro, there probably wouldn't be any evidence.

To add to the problem, my other half is screwing! I've told her it is unlikely that connie will come out of the dining room, but that seems incorrect.

I've baited traps for the past 2 nights, and she hasn't been fed for over a week, should I continue to bait them every night or wait a couple of days?

I fear if I don't find her soon I'm going to have a very expensive hotel bill for the other half!
teabicky Posted - 18/03/2012 : 18:05:17
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

I do not recommend using tape traps if you are checking them daily. Low tack tape can be used yes but these traps need checked on a far more regular basis and shouldnt be left out overnight.

The tape comng off in lukewarm water isnt the issue, its the damage thats done to the snake whilst its on the tape. Snakes wont sit back and say yup you got me i will just wait till you get this tape of me. They will do everything in their power to get away from the tape, the damage that will do isnt really worth thinking about.

This all sounds reasonable to me. I think we (and Wilson) were lucky that my wife was in the room at the moment that he got caught, so no damage could have been done.
gmac Posted - 18/03/2012 : 17:59:40
I do not recommend using tape traps if you are checking them daily. Low tack tape can be used yes but these traps need checked on a far more regular basis and shouldnt be left out overnight.

The tape comng off in lukewarm water isnt the issue, its the damage thats done to the snake whilst its on the tape. Snakes wont sit back and say yup you got me i will just wait till you get this tape of me. They will do everything in their power to get away from the tape, the damage that will do isnt really worth thinking about.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000