Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  03:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corn snakes are escape artists....they can get through the smallest hole and slip between pieces of glass. Did you realise they can squash their heads and flatten their ribs ??? Supposedly anywhere their head can go their body will follow. And it is their natural instinct to try and escape....it doesnt necessarily mean they are unhappy....they just want to get away ! NEVER take your eyes off them when they are outside of their fauns/vivs or leave the faun/viv door open slightly....they move so fast you have no chance of catching them!

IF your snake escapes these are some notes I have made to help you find it.... (and much thanks to other forum members for their tips 'borrowed')

It is exceedingly distressing when you realise your snake has escaped and the first (and natural) reaction is to panic. The main thing is for you to control that panic and not give up hope....corns are amazingly hardy and resourceful so can survive a long time, it is just a case of you finding it.

You need to start searching for it very methodically.

Firstly, and I know this may sound silly, but make sure that your snake has actually escaped. Could it be hiding in the substrate or in a small hole in a branch you have in the faun/viv? A few forum members have thought their snakes lost but then discovered them buried in substrate. One totally emptied his viv, no snake....but then discovered her curled up under the branch he'd removed, in a really tiny hole.

When you look start from the very top of the room your snake has escaped into....ceiling. Start slowly and come down from there to the top of lampshades if any, down electric wires, anything that dangles from the ceiling. Then choose the least cluttered wall and start to go down it methodically. If there are shelves, everything comes off them and only gets put back once it's been inspected, books opened, etc. If there are cupboards the drawers come out completely, and, if possible, the cupboard or closet gets pulled away from the wall so the area behind it can be searched too.

The frame of mind is to inspect every surface no matter how unlikely. The floor and any object on it gets done last, and any carpets would get their underside inspected too if possible. If still nothing, go under the floorboards. For those awkward places with the pipes get a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect the hidden areas. Apart from "every surface" also think as if you are looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lens.

Check near any heat sources - near and behind radiators, pipes, in and behind the oven and electric fires, the washer, behind the fridge, in computer housing and around their leads, under keypards, even inside the printer, behind tv, stereo, boiler, in the airing cupboard, etc.....your corn will search out heat.

Look and see if any of your sofas and chairs has holes in them that the snake could have crawled into. Also look in pillows and cushions.
Make sure you check all clothing; in pockets, sleeves, legs....in piles of towels, sheets. Especially check dirty stuff about to go in the washing machine....one forum member nearly sent her escaped snake for a wet wash.

Check handbags, rucksacks and the like.

Try putting the viv on the floor near a dish of water; it may decide to come home by itself. You must put a number of water dishes down because a snake can go for a long time without food but not long without water. Sprinkling flour around the water dishes is a good idea as then you can see ‘slither’ marks in it if your snake comes out at night to drink....proving it is still there.

You could try turning down the heat in the rest of the house and turning it up in the room you hope your snake is in. Also you could try putting the heatmat in a corner with a towel over it and pillows round it, to give somewhere warm and safe to hide. A hot water bottle would work as well, as long as it is totally covered so that the snake cannot come into direct contact with it while it is hot.

I have heard of owners sitting up all night in case the missing snake puts in an appearance, which may be an idea for you to try. Put bits of foil or crumpled wrapping paper along skirting boards, because the snake will move along the edge of the room were it feels safe, and hopefully you will then hear it move.

Depending on when it was last fed, it may be worthwhile putting a bottle trap out. This is how to make one – Bottle trap You could try braining the bait and smearing some of the juice on the outside to grab the attention of the snake.

Dont leave a pinky/mouse in a bottle trap for more than 24hrs...throw it away. Wait a few days and then try again.

If the snake was fed recently then put down some boxes like empty cereal boxes in warm places, it'll be looking for a warm secure place to digest. Again, you can use covered hot water bottles to offer extra warm places for it to go.

Another place to put flour is across doorways so you can see slither marks which will show the snake is around and whether it has gone into or out of a room. You can also put it around the edges of the rooms as they will move around where they feel safest....any slither marks are signs of hope and show whether the snake is in that room and moving around.

Some people suggest you put sticky tape down to try and 'catch' the snake, but this can be very dangerous to them and I would seriously advise against it.

These are some examples of where people have found their snakes - in a box file of paperwork, behind books on a shelf, on a bathroom shelf, curled up in-between plugs in a 4 point adaptor, in a dressing gown pocket and in their granddad's room in his towel basket as he got out a towel to have a shower! One forum member's OH opened the living room window, pulled the curtain because of the sun, they heard a thud, thought it was a candle falling over, so didn't take any notice and a few minutes later the snake appeared trying to climb up the wall. Just recently a snake disappeared and reappeared as the forum member sat at his laptop to log onto TCS....snaking its way up the power cord! And finally a forum member’s snake went missing whilst "holidaying" with the neighbours and it finally came home after 7 months, perfectly fit & well. The neighbours walked into their kitchen and found it curled up on their breadboard!

I hope some of this has been of some help and hopefully other forum members will add their own tips to this thread as well.

The main thing is not to give up hope....snakes have gone missing for days, weeks, months and even years....and still turned up healthy and happy.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 21/06/2014 11:01:53

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  09:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great thread Kellogg

Should help a lot of people.

Stickied

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  10:38:34  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
great guide - so many escapee's recently.

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  19:52:36  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'v thought for a while you should put your advice on finding escaped snakes into a post of its own and have it stickied. It's fantastic advice and a huge help to anyone panicking about losing a snake as it enables them to be proactive and have hope.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  20:32:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is a great topic!
"Some people suggest you put sticky tape down to try and 'catch' the snake, but this can be very dangerous to them and I would seriously advise against it." should be made in red!

This is fantastic though, where ever their heads go, the rest can fit and they can squash their heads down too :o

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  22:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently had my baby corn escape its tank in the middle of the night. My son saw it in the bathroom and before we could get to it, it slithered into a small whole behind the toilet into the wall. I set a bottle trap and left a heat pad on with a towel ontop of it at the entrance to the hole it went into. I'm really upset! It's just a little one and I've only had it about six days. I'm going to try to sit up for a little bit tonight to hope that it comes out. Theres nothing but insullatin in the wall, also I live in an apartment so I hope that it doesn't somehow find its way into my neighbors apartment. Hopefully the units (apartments) are totally sealed off from each other and its only way it back through an exit into my apartment.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  02:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments everyone, they are very much appreciated !

quote:
Originally posted by jackdaniels007

I recently had my baby corn escape its tank in the middle of the night........

So sorry to hear about the loss of your snake and you had only had it such a short time . I am sure your son must be devastated as well. You can see from my original post what escape artists they are.

As you are in an apartment would it be possible to do some flyers and drop them into some of your neighbours, letting them know that your snake might appear in their apartment and what to do if it does?

I hope what I have suggested is of some help to you and please let us know if you find him.

Remember, dont give up hope and keep searching for it.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  02:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually thought about doing that, but I didn't think it was a good idea, I don't know my neighbors at all and would hate for my first introduction to them to be, "Hey I'm your neighbor next door nice to meet you, oh by the way be on the look out for a rogue snake that may pop out of your wall". I just don't think that would blow over well. On the other hand not telling them could be devistating to the snake. So I'm really confused on what to do in that situation. I have the bathroom that he went into baited with a bottle, plastic shopping bags open everywhere, a heat pad, and also a thick line of flour laid down in case he crosses when I'm not looking. I hope this ordeal doesn't last long. Geez.....

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  03:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One good reason for warning your neighbours is that they may not realise that your snake is not poisonous and might react badly if they do see it....so if you let them know it is missing and that it is harmless and how to contact you straight away, then there is no risk of it being injured by them should it appear in one of their apartments. Its also one way to meet your neighbours !

Make sure you have bowls of water out as well, as it can go a long time without food but not long without water.

I do hope he turns up soon....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  04:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering along with this topic, how long can a baby corn (approx. 2 to 3 months old) go without eating before it starves to death? Thanks. Still paitently waiting for it show up. When and if it does I'll be happy and I'll keep you updated, also I'll post a pic of my new little buddy once I recover him..... Staying hopeful. Night one of my watch begins now.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  04:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just wondering along with this topic, how long can a baby corn (approx. 2 to 3 months old) go without eating before it starves to death?.......

I know this thread is a bit different as it is about a snake that has stopped eating, but it might interest you to read it How long can a 3-4 month old go without feeding?....pay particular attention to GP's last comment 'some of my hatchies last year didn't eat till they were 3 months old and only lost a gram or two from their hatching weight'....now if hatchlings can go that long without feeding then I am sure your snake can last quite a while.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  05:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. That and the post you sent me too basically told me that they can survive quite awhile without feeding. Looks like I'm in the search for the long haul. Its hard to convince someone that this snake is harmless as my Ms.'s is scared that it is on the loose. Lol well adios will keep you all informed on when and if I recover it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  06:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay guys!! This has to be the FASTEST RECOVERY EVER!!! I FOUND MY CORN!! It was by chance. First of all he went missing sometime between midnight and 9am this morning. Its now 1202am and I was walking through my apartment with a small light to look at my work schedule when I glanced over to the washer and dryer and there he was in plain site sitting in the dark!!! I grabbed him and needless to say he wasn't thrilled but he's now back in his home, I've secured his lid with tape on the back and weighted it with books till i can workout something better. Will post a pic of him soon. thanks for your help! - JD

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  06:56:38  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats excellent news.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  03:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay guys!! This has to be the FASTEST RECOVERY EVER!!! I FOUND MY CORN!! ........there he was in plain site sitting in the dark!!! ........now back in his home, I've secured his lid with tape on the back and weighted it with books till i can workout something better. Will post a pic of him soon. thanks for your help! - JD

Donny, that is fantastic news ....I am so pleased he has turned up safe and sound....and so quickly after his escape, although I am sure those hours he was missing felt like days!

One warning, you say you have secured his lid with tape....you need to be 100% certain that he cant get near that tape, if he touches it and gets stuck it will be horrible. The sooner you can sort out a more permanent way to lock his lid the better.

Well done for introducing yourself and Aries officially ....and no need for the thanks, its what the forum is here for .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  02:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Kellog, the tape is on the outside of the lid, and theres books on top. Made sure there was no way he could push it open until I get a more secure lid.

Edited by - n/a on 03/10/2010 02:06:52
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  12:27:09  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thank u for this thread.. my little jenny has gone missing, only just noticed, had her out friday after she shed so it could have been 2 days ago, absolutly gutted :( but iv pput a bottle trap down and im in the process of taking everythin out my room :(

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  04:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FiestaSTLou

thank u for this thread.. my little jenny has gone missing, only just noticed, had her out friday after she shed so it could have been 2 days ago, absolutly gutted :( but iv pput a bottle trap down and im in the process of taking everythin out my room :(

I am so sorry to hear that Jenny has escaped , I am not surprised you are gutted. We get so attached to our snakes so quickly that when they go missing it is heart-wrenching.

No need for the thanks, I just pulled together advice from other forum members and some ideas of my own ....all I care about is that it helps you find Jenny. Please let us know if you find her....and how you are doing (we worry!).

xxx

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  10:11:16  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well sunday we spent the whole day taking everything out the room, putting down bottle traps and laying plastic bags everywhere incase she slithered across it,but still not joy :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  20:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FiestaSTLou

] still not joy :(

Wow. I'm soooo sorry that it hasn't turned up for you yet. I hope you find it soon. Try to do spot light hunting at night with all the lights off, thats how I found mine. Good luck and hang in there.....

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  23:15:06  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats a good idea, we bought a torch when she went missing to seafrch all the cracks ect.. will try it tonight :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000