Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 How long can a 3-4 month old go without feeding?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Serpentine
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  12:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I have my hatch for the past three weeks, when I first brought him home he went into shed so I wasn't too worried about the lack of interest in food. He finished shedding last Thursday and still has no interest in food, have read the sticky in general keeping on feeding issues and other than forcing him to eat have tried all the advice given there.
Basically I'm just wondering how long I should keep trying to feed him myself and when I should think about bringing him to my local reptile vet?
Should probably point out that he was eating two pinkies a week before I brought him home.

1 tortoise - Dude

1 rabbit

1 anery corn - Sid

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  14:36:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where is his RUB/Faun? Is it in a nice quite place? You'd be suprised how long they can last without food. Does he look underweight at all?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Serpentine
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  15:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His viv is by the back door in the dining room - trying to convince my partner that he would prefer to be in our bedroom as there would not be as much traffic. Where he is isn't crazy busy, but the bedroom would definitely be quieter. He doesn't particularly look underweight I think, however I don't have anything to compare him with. In any case he doesn't look very thin.

1 tortoise - Dude

1 rabbit

1 anery corn - Sid
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  21:44:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd weigh him now to get a starting weight, then you can monitor if he gains or loses any

some feeding issues can be related to stress from their environment, what's your set up and temps like?

if he's in a busy area you could always try covering the enclosure over during the day or busy times. i'd also not handle him at all till he's feeding regularly again.

i certainly wouldn't be too concerned as yet, some of my hatchies last year didn't eat till they were 3 months old and only lost a gram or two from their hatching weight

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Serpentine
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  12:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have Sid six weeks now and still not eating. Starting to look very thin. Brought him to the local reptile vet Tuesday, she forced some protein based mush back his throat and gave me some vitamin supplement for his drinking water. Have been asked to bring him in again tomorrow with some pinkies - will keep you all posted.

1 tortoise - Dude

1 rabbit

1 anery corn - Sid
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  15:41:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks for the update

i noticed you mentioned a viv for your hatchie...........what size is the viv? too much space can cause stress resulting in not feeding.......

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000