Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  03:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI All
Very new to this, getting our first snakes - hatchlings (corns), but not for a few weeks, they've only eaten once!
We are getting two, and were planning to home them together. We intend to get the same sex, as we don't plan to breed.
There are conflicting reports on the internet about homing two snakes together and i would love some advice! Loads of sites say that it's dangerous and that they may kill one another We had already planned to feed them separatly anyway (incase of the accidental eating each other which figures highly on a lot of sites!), but eating aside, do you think it is safe or recommended?
Cheers
Rory

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  10:26:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum. This is a bit of a contentious subject and you won't get everyone in agreement.

In my opinion (and it is only that) I would ask why you want to house them together, snakes are not sociable creatures and there is a small risk that they may harm each other. Many people house them together and they are fine. I think the chance of them attempting to eat each other is more likely when they are small and diminishes as they get larger.

The one thing that most will agree on is not to keep juveniles of opposite sex together as they will mate before the female is ready and that can cause serious health issues and even death of snakey.

Hope that helps.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  10:33:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

For those who don't believe.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  10:46:07  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
were they your corns BE

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  10:51:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, I don't house any together because of scenes like this. Stole these pics from a member of another forum.

I'm not trying to scare-monger and know that 95% will be fine, just showing the risk.

Edited by - Blackecho on 31/08/2008 10:52:38
Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  11:08:45  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
omg that would scare thepoopouta me lol. Can you not pull the other snake out??

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  11:10:29  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
not if they go in too far

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  11:12:34  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh. i would cry :'( im never going to keep snakes together now :(

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  11:59:46  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
have seen something similar on cornutopia, a hatchling eating itself, needless to say the poor thing died as a result.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  12:16:18  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it ate itself!!! omg what a freak. Why did it do that?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  12:23:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Probably saw its tail and thought 'yum'.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

101 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  12:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty Horrify pics but i say let them co habit my two love it, i heard of accidentally eating each other durin feeds but not plain cannabilism

- Ewan MacColl
CB08 Male Carolinan Corn
CB08 Female Anery Corn
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  12:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E.maccoll, your pushing the boundries for no reason, about 10 people have advised you not to put your corns together, then BE puts up some photo's of it actually happening! Why ask for our advice just to ignore it!?!

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  13:26:22  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
they are pretty horrific pics to be fair. i've heard that during cold periods snake often amass in one cave to maintain body warmth.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  13:28:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, apologies if it upsets anyone.

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  13:58:45  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
found that pic I was talking about, here's the link,
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Photo%20&%20Image%20Stockpile%20-%20CornUtopia/WEB%20-%20cannibal%20corn

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  14:32:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by E.maccoll

Pretty Horrify pics but i say let them co habit my two love it

snakes don't love anything, they're reptiles not humans

quote:
Originally posted by E.maccoll
i heard of accidentally eating each other durin feeds but not plain cannabilism

well now you've seen photographic evidence.

I DO cohabit my snakes BUT they are carefully matched in age/size, they are fed separately, outside the viv, have a large viv with plenty of room and have a hide each at both ends of the viv.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  14:42:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I think the chance of them attempting to eat each other is more likely when they are small and diminishes as they get larger.

I would say hatchlings are the most likely.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  14:43:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
definitely! the youngest pair I personally have cohabiting are well grown-on yearlings.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  14:55:38  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I still wouldnt chance it though incase they did eat each other.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  15:46:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Hayley.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000