Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  15:50:00  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess it depends on the reasons, I would personally never keep 2 snakes together but may it just be that most people do it because they want two snakes without the expense of two sets of housing? This is more likely with hatchlings as not only would you need two hatchlings vivs but then the up-sized viv's for the adults later on.
Therefore is it a lack of funding that mainly makes people co-habit their snakes even when they are solitary creatures by nature?

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  15:56:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Probably Ell, but if it is for that reason my response would be that if you can't afford to look after them properly.....

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  15:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you cant afford the equipment, you cant afford the pet, so it says on my pet shop wall

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  15:59:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good shop

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  18:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with that if you cant afford the pet dont buy one.

after taking lots of advice from here and wot my local shop does and advises, MY only opinion is that if your going to do it make sure they are:

yearling and above
of equal size and age
fed seperate and not under fed
carefully watch for any signs of bullying and tension

and finally you are doing it your own risk...

the reason i want to house 2 corns is i hate to think of chester being lonly and for breeding.

and yes i do know they are solitary creatures that have no need for companionship.

im just soft

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  18:29:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well summed up Daz.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  18:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after reading of so many people having 2 corns together I was considering getting a pal for snape, I hear so many of you saying how your snakes curl up together and keep thinking I would like that for him, I have obviously read all your views on the matter and recently asked in my rep shop their opinion, and I still cannot decide what to do, I would hate for it to change the way snape is coz at the minute he is an awesome little man!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  18:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at the risk of being unpopular i must admit we are getting a new snake at donny next week and he will be going in with Peanuts, however i must stress that we will only accept a snake that has been probed male (same as peanuts)and the same size (average sized yearling). We have also trialed Peanuts with another male the smae age and size for a couple of weeks and found no problems. The boys will have ample space, will feed seperately (an adequate amount for the size), will have their own hides at each end and will be carefully monitered.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  19:12:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No probs with that Peanuts, have you thought about quarantining before uniting them?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  19:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes he will be on a two week quaratine in a mini viv set up (40 x 20x 15 cm Approx) just to make sure he is fit and healthy before introducing him to Peanuts. We were also thinking about a gradual introduction ie. putting the mini viv inside peanuts big viv for the first week closed, then opened etc. Do you think that quarantine period is long enough? We thought either that or until the new snake has shed?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  19:33:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The longer you can bare it the better, waiting until it's shed sounds like a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  19:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BE I think thats the route we'll go down then, at least then that will get rid of any existing nasties on the skin, and hopefully get a good idea of what the new one sheds like, could help us with the monitering to compare differences in shed shades in case they ever both go into shed at the same time. Good advice cheers.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  19:52:26  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
good luck

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  10:11:07  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think its good the way your putting them together peanuts like the way you are going to do it. But if you just shove them in together then I think thats bad and they will eat each other and go on a killing rampage and die. :O:O:O

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  11:31:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
lol - not at all over-dramatic

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  12:03:57  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it could happen...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  13:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, I am glad you aprove and think i can avoid the rampage... phew close call :P

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  13:44:50  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hehe :D

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  19:20:28  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hey BE you are now a super poster

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page