Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  19:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well guys ive been reading this thread and found it horrific at the start though i have watched the Nat Geo channel and Discovery Channel and you do see snakes eating each other ive seen a King Cobra eating a Python and a Annaconda eating just about anything LOL. The pet shop i bought Kirk from took him from a Viv that had about 6 differant morphs of corn snakes living in it and most were sharing the 1 hide all were cuddled up together they were all about 7 months old at the time and about the same size.

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  09:50:49  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ooooo thats a bad pet shop! Aww poor wee snakes :'(

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  12:35:26  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
it can happen is what you got to weigh up about keeping more than one snake together, it might never and you will be fine or it could and you lose a much loved snake

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  14:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think thats what stopping me from getting a new snake for company for snape, he doesn't actually NEED company I think it will just make me feel better, and if I did get another and it hurt him or god forbid ate him I could never forgive myself.
Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  16:40:06  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would just feel really bad putting an unnesescary risk on my snake incase it went wrong.

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:11:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well put SN

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I keep 3 corns together:
1 large male, approx 5ft
2 medium females, 3.5 - 4ft

Aside from a short spell last year, and when Crunchy nut was 8 months old (she's about 8 1/2 years now), they've always been housed together.
I think it's gonna be worth making a sticky on this subject, and others.

However, everyone has different opinions on multiple snakes in one viv, and some people will even say they disagree with complete solo snakes.
In this aspect, I personnally don't believe there are rules, but there are DEFINATELY guidlines and recommendations.
However, I'm NOT against dual housing, but NOT for it.
I think it's worth putting all the facts and opinions together into one place, then making it a sticky.
This question comes up all to often.
With permission from people that posted in this topic, I'd like to borrow/steal everyones opinions and info.

Along with info from other sources one of the mods will make a stick with it in the General Keeping Section.
Maybe even make a FAQ up of some kind, as a new topic

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:48:50  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sounds good

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:58:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my opinion (and its just that only).

No snakes under 1 year old should be housed together.

Snakes housed together should be of similar size.

Sufficient hides should be provided at both ends to allow the snakes their own space.

If you are introducing snakes, introduce the male to the female's viv, not the other way round.

Males should be removed from the viv if the female becomes gravid until the eggs are layed and the female has regained sufficient weight.

Snakes housed together should still be fed separately and should not be left to go hungry.

The above opinions are based on Corns, other snakes such as Kings need different rules.

Edited by - Blackecho on 04/09/2008 22:59:13
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  23:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

other snakes such as Kings need different rules.

VERY true!!

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  14:28:04  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think there should be an addition on enclosure size to.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  19:31:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ell

but who's to say what's right or wrong?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  19:35:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
personally I have a 4'6" pair (approx) in a 4'x2'x2' and a 2' pair and a 2'6" corn (3 in total) living in a 30"x16"x23"

it's working for me with no apparent detriment to the snakes' wellbeing.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 05/09/2008 19:36:43
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  23:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ell

Again, good idea, there are a few things that maybe need to be brought up in a FAQ type thing, but a lot of them are difficult to give a definate answer to. There are a lot a variables in regards snakes and keeping them.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  06:37:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Phil's right, you'll never get everyone to agree on an answer.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  09:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree about the sticky (if im guessing right on wot one is)

this topic is popping up very regular and as caused some heated debate.

there is so many good reports and bad reports about multi housing. i think it comes down to the individual snakes and its temprement as to wether its gonna like being with others. from wot i have read and heard some like it and some dont.
just like some like being handled and some dont. some feed well and some dont.

at the end of the day i think its personal choice and down to the individual snake.

just be careful and carefully monitor them and take all advice on board wen doing it.

Edited by - dazb on 06/09/2008 09:51:12
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  12:21:13  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well how about something like the enclosure needing enough space for more snakes? I don't think placing two snakes in an enclosure suitable for a maximum of one would be ideal.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  14:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have recently put two girls together in one viv, with no ill effects. We plan to feed them outside the viv and separately (we've only last week got Lucky, hence 'plan'). Slivver is 5'5", and Lucky is somewhere between 3 and 4 foot. Slivver likes the cool end, and Lucky, having been saved from a neglectful owner, is not used to the warmth, and so bathes herself often.

Merry Meet, Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!

See you again soon,

from
Faith

and SLIVVER

and LUCKY!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  12:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you put two younger snakes in a partitioned viv? Maybe introduce eachother via a seethrough wall and if they don't seem too adverse take the partition away when they are older? How can you tell if the company of another snake is actually stressing your snake out? Personally i would be all for keeping snakes individually, but I've come across plenty that seem to enjoy the company of another and wouldn't be so adverse to it if I thought there was some way you could 'tell' that they weren't adverse to it...

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  23:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian eejit

found that pic I was talking about, here's the link,
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Photo%20&%20Image%20Stockpile%20-%20CornUtopia/WEB%20-%20cannibal%20corn

Oh my god that is wierd!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000