Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

crazeemaz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  21:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I have 2 corns together because the person I bought them from housed them together, they are a male and a female and I have been considering splitting them up because of some people saying you shouldn't keep them together and because the male is probably big enough to breed soon but I am not sure about the female. I do not have a spare Viv but do have a spare RUB however if males of a similar size can be housed together then I will try to introduce the males in one viv. I didnt think that you could keep two males together but my son thinks you can. I thought they would fight especially if they can smell females nearby. Can anyone clarify this please???
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  21:34:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You might find they get tetchy around breeding time and food, but I think some people on here do keep males together.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  21:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you feed the males seperately and give them enough room, they should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

crazeemaz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  21:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool - might try to introduce them this weekend and see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  21:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big are the males? From what BE told me.

At least 4 x 2 x 2 would be needed for 2 adults.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  21:50:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that would be the size I'd use for 2 adults - just my opinion though.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Edited by - Blackecho on 30/09/2008 21:55:27
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  22:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agreee on 4x2x2

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  22:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matty do me a big big favour? :D

Can you write me a list and plans for how to make the custom viv?
I'm useless with that sorta' stuff.

Please. :D

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  22:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will do it tomorrow if you like. Do you want it to be chipboard or plywood? (chipboard is easier and cheaper, but if you can get plywood free/very cheap i think it looks nicer)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  22:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plywood please. :D

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  22:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok. i will do it tomorrow evening for you. You want it 4x2x2 right?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  22:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, please. :)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  22:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  22:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also thanks for doing this! :)

Go to Top of Page

crazeemaz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  13:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Josh-sama

How big are the males? From what BE told me.

At least 4 x 2 x 2 would be needed for 2 adults.

hi the male corns are both about 300g not sure of length - the Viv which has a male and female in at the moment is big enough I think - almost square about 3.5 x 3 x 3 so I will give all vivs a good clean out and swap snakes around this weekend

Edited by - crazeemaz on 01/10/2008 13:30:10
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  20:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im writing it now josh

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  21:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. :D

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  16:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more I read here the more I think I made a mistake keeping my pair of corns together in one Viv, and I feel a bit sorry for my female.

Basically went away the other weekend, and came back to find a clutch of 13 eggs. The Corns are both relatively the same age, about 2 years old, well fed happy and nice snakes allround. He is massive compared to her, I always thought their sexes were the other way around. However at 2 years they shouldn't ahve matted, so I think my snow male's raped my candy cane female. Plus being young she's laid 13 eggs and the 14th egg got stuck. so I'v e aspirated part of the egg but not enough of it unless she's expelled it today.

So I think I'm going to have to look at getting a second viv to keep them seperate, for another year yet, so they dont mate again, and so she can catch up to his size.

Otherwise they quite enjoy being in each others company all wrapped up in a ball in their cave.

I do have concerns about feeding time so I seperate them in the viv and get them into different hiding sections - I have a large hollow cork 'log' sand a exoterra cave stone so one gets the one and the other.... And they get fed. they tend to eat well, unless one is upset withj something - usually shedding, but otherwise the scoff their weekly tea and return to the warm embrace of the other one. Almost had a heart attack tho the otherday, I turned away and when I turnmed back the male was licking his lips and the female no where in site, but I uncovereded her later on hiding. So basically if you are going to keep two together and they are different sexes, you have to watch at about 2 years they seem to want to mate so you have that problem and feed em well apart or in seperat boxes/vivs.

Edited by - n/a on 24/10/2008 16:47:25
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  20:45:20  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i know alot of people who house corn snakes together who say its fine if they are the same sex. however i would never do it incase one gets a contageous infection and it will pass it on to the healthy corn snake which means double the vet bill costs. and in previous posts i have moaned about vet bills but i cant help it my local vets is very very expensive , my pet rat cost me as much as £55 for an overgrown tooth to be cut so imagine the cost of a complicated anatomy animal like a reptile lol dog bills are at their thousands now. im surprised some people can still turn around and say they can comfortably afford the bills. pet insurance is a con coz they only pay a maximum of 600 pounds and you have to wait for that to come through lol so yeah back to the topic of housing corns together its obvious its safer not to for vet bill purposes

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

46 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  16:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow i hate keeping snakes togethor im gonna tell my mate lol he has 2 in thew same tank
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000