Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  12:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i have 4 corn snakes 2 adults and 2 hatchlings. I keep my 2 adults in 1 tank and my two other ones in a tank. And i have had no problems
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  17:19:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some people have no problems Cornsnake989.
It's just a risk, unfortunately it can be a high risk in young snakes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  22:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiii
Wonder what part of the process actually killed the snake, the stomach juices, being crushed from the inside, choking ?? and why didnt it regergitate itself.
Sorry if i sound gory, dont mean to be,

0.0.1 Amel (1 1/2 ft)(Lestat de Lioncourt)
0.0.1 Carolina (1 ft)
0.0.1 Goliath (spidey)(Curly)
0.0.1 Chilli Rose(spidey)(Boris)
0.0.4 Imperial Scorpions
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  09:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought 2 corns 6 weeks ago. The pet shop said it is ok to house them together. I dont know the sex as they said they are too young (about 6 months old) which i now know that they can be sexed. The thing is, i only have room for 1 viv, so if they are different sexes what do i do. Keep them both or get rid of one, which i dont really want to do.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  09:44:55  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The decision is yours but if you have read this you will know the risks of eating each other and health risks through underage sex,personly i wouldnt house 2 young corns together and would just keep the 1 but as i said the decision is yours!

Edited by - lee2308 on 28/04/2009 09:46:01
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  18:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the risks of one of them eating the other are minimal but it is the other issues like under age sex that i am worried about. Dont really want to get rid of one but i have to think of the snake.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  19:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that you dont want to get rid of one of them, but surly thats better than one of them being in alot of pain from breeding too young?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  21:00:53  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

I think the risks of one of them eating the other are minimal

sorry,i dont think the risks are minimal,they are known to try and eat them selfs,so if they see something moving in their viv they will have go

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The risks could also be increased if they are fed in the viv. (MY opinion)
For example, i don't have any hesitation in putting my hands into the viv to pick them out, but because they are now so used to being fed in RUBS i'm always a bit careful when trying to pick them out because the interest in food is much greater when they know they're in the feeding tubs.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 28/04/2009 22:23:19
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  23:03:21  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i simply will put it like this: keeping snakes together is like smoking. Now you know the risks, it's your choice whether you do it or not. No one can stop you, it's not illegal, and it may seem beneficial sometimes, but there are known risks and a possability of death and tradegy.

but each to thier own. i smoke but don't keep snakes together. its my problem if i smoke myself to death, but i dont see why i should put 2 snakes at risk by keeping them togehter when they most likly want to be kept seperate.

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  23:15:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

I think the risks of one of them eating the other are minimal

did you think that before or after you bought 2 snakes that you can't house separately?
they should be kept separately, cannibalism is a real risk.
they should also be kept separately until they're of breeding size and age because what if they've been incorrectly sexed and you have a male and a female?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  09:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt think about it when i bought the snakes. I only went in to get 1 but i liked the look of two. The reptile shop said it is ok too keep 2 together so i took his advice.
I do take them out and feed them in seperate tubs then leave them a while before i put them back in the viv.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  10:49:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can't blame you for wanting more than one (see my sig and many other peoples)
BUT i really isn't a good idea to cohabit youngsters. i'm not against cohabiting as long as it's done correctly - i have a 1.1 pair that permanently live together.

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  11:44:04  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
PET SHOPS ARE IDIOTS!!!
sorry
i just have a passionate hatred of pet shops. I think the only ones I know that I actually trust are the one in my village(because i went and set up all thier vivs) and Cosham Aquarium!

They givethe worst advice, he probably jsut said it's ok to get you to buy two snakes!

~~ My Zoo ~~
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  11:58:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

he probably jsut said it's ok to get you to buy two snakes!

completely agree PA *nods*

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  12:25:36  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

he probably jsut said it's ok to get you to buy two snakes!

completely agree PA *nods*

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  07:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree , i think he was only interested in the money.Come to think of it i think i saw £ signs in his eyes I am going to keep them both but somehow get 2 vivs. I think i have 1.1 so how old are they before they are capable of breeding. I need a couple more weeks before i can seperate them.Btw, is the tail method reliable for sexing
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  11:03:30  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the only reliable way to sex snakes is to probe them,as for the breeding there is the rule of 3...3 ft long,3years old and 300 grams in weight,when your snake hits these they should be ok to breed.

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  23:23:14  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
£££££££

i was in my local Garden center which has recently started selling corns. 10 hatchlings in a 2x1 viv. I was appauled. The substrate was filthy, there was a regurge lying i nteh corner, no water bowl, one extreamly dim heat bulb, and no hides.

I was practicalyl cryingat the fact that I coudln't save all of the poor little things. Then the **** of a "person" behind the counter tried to sell me 3 of them, saying they were able to keep together in a 3x2 viv for thier whole live. I kept quiet just to see what he would say.

Needless to say I am reporting this shop to the authorities. It's the same place that I got my leos from. when they died, the person who gt them from me got them autopsied... riddled with paracites...

~~ My Zoo ~~
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  23:32:28  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What Garden Centre is that Tizzy?
Is it really that bad?
If so, let me know and I'll go up there with you, we'll go halves.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000