Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2009 :  12:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, new to any forum re corn snakes but after reading some stuff on here i am a little bit worried. We have 2 corns that we got in Oct 2007 and were rougly a couple of months old. We were told by the pet shop they coulnd't be sexed for at least another year due to harm to the snakes but it is perfectly fine to house them together! Anway one is an albino snow corn and the other is a browny colour and the the snow has always ate really really well! The snow (Tiami) layed 8 eggs last week so it's now obvious what the sex is! They have never had any fights and have always been together and are most of the time cuddled up. We were not prepared for the eggs and we have no incubator as they are so expensive so they are in another hide with moss and we keep it damp. Is it true the female might eat the eggs? Someone said she won't feed either but she has just eaten her mice and more! Really worried so any answers would be a great help.
Donna :)
Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2009 :  12:29:22  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont know about females eating eggs, but if you are worried about them, i think you could take them to a pet/reptile shop (that seems responsible) or a breeder, and they will take them and hatch them for you. I dont know if you would be allowed them back after they hatch or if the shop/breeder keeps them. But you would have to find out from that particular shop. Hope this helped.

1.0.0 Amel Corn - Fluffy!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2009 :  12:38:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
where abouts are you pinkgirl? i might be able to help as i've got an incubator running at the moment, so have various other members in different parts of the country.
i've copied and posted your OP in the breeding section pinkgirl

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 23/05/2009 12:42:16
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  19:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also was gonna get a second corn to keep with my baby but after reading all of this post i think il buy a second viv if i want a second corn,
but i think alot of rep shops say they are fine to keep together as my rep shop also keeps them together but they realy have them in longer than 48hrs before they are sold on and a new batch in so i think they dont see any of the problems thats been posted and if i know the guy like i do if he did he would split them all asap (its not like he aint got the space to)
and the garden shop thats doing that needs closing down. iv a 4,3,3 viv for my corn when shes big enough and shes still a baby.

4 corn girls, 3 corn boy, 3 girl corn x rats, 1 boy corn x rat, 3 royal girls, 4 royal boys, 2 king girls, 4 king boys 1 common boa girl
And to pick up.....
1 butter motley boy + 1 girl

NEW WEB SITE...
http://kat80.webs.com/

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  18:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on the subject of earlier posts with the bad pet stores, my local "The Mill Garden Centre" in chesterfield derbyshire is very sus with thier snake care! It all looks very nice at a first glance and all their hatchlings are kept seperately in a heater cabinet, On closer inspection they keep on a regular basis yearling corns together (usualy about 8 to 10 of them), Have 2 LARGE pythons in an enclosure they can hardly move in and don't get me started on the rest of the reptiles in there!
When we bought our new anery from there the first anery they offered us had not shed properly at the end of it's tail! The box it was in was filthy and there was no sign of shedding happening in the box it was in, the woman at the desk proceeded to pick the skin from the end of it's tail with her nails removing the end of the poor things tail at the same time!! We were horrified and decided on the healthier anery we have now, should we report them to the rspca or something?? I now refuse to shop there for anything their knowledge is hugely limited and they will sell any snake to just about anyone even kids as long as someone over 16 is there with them!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

299 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  15:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im horrified to hear that pet shops are treating animals like that im new to keeping snakes ( dont grt mine for a week or two) i found a very nice lady close to where i live and she is breading them as a hoby we went over and was there about 2 hours holding the babies and giving me as much advice as she could

carnt wait for the day i get mine now

1.0.0 bci rocky
0.1.0 bci twix
0.1.0 silver queen
1.0.0 anery beetlejuice
0.1.0 snow motley snowdrop
0.1.0 holly (caviler king charles)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  10:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think its horrible that they can eat each other,,,, to be honest i think if you care about you corn(s) then keep them seperate... and if you carnt afford to cages and to electric bills then only get 1 corn!!

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  11:07:31  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not that im siding with pet shop but having worked in them i know that they are faced with a bit of a dilema. space is an issue and although some comments go beyond stupidity i am one of those (who always gets shouted at ) who thinks sometimes pet shops have to break the rules sometimes. my local rep shop is really good. all hatchlings are kept in a back room and there is a list on a notice board of what corns are available. the corns are all kept seperate in small vivs. however they have in the past had to keep grown on corns together as room was an issue. they were all sexed and housed in same sex groups but im talking about maybe 3-4 in a 6ftx2ft viv.

basically what im saying is this - some places are interested in £££ and treat animals appaulingly but others have the animals welfare in mind but break some rules that us herpers have in order to sell but not in order for £££ if that makes sense.

shops need to sell animals its the business but others will fob you off and rip you off to make as much as possible. it may be hard to tell the difference but there is one
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  13:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i understand that !!!! even if corns are kept by themselfs they can still kill themself,,,
look at this pic

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  14:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just read all 8 pages of this thread and i personally would not house two corns together. Look at the pics its quite alarming to know that they may eat each other. Does this happen often, corns eating themselves ?? Anyone know why they do this ??

1 x Cornsnake (Cornflake)
1 x Boxer Dog (Stumpi)
Regards Chris & Cornflake
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  14:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont think there is a reason,,, but if you dont feed them then they will eat themselfs

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  07:16:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Read this for dangers of co-habiting: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5175

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  10:45:56  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree with the dangers i was just saying about shops. theres a bit of rule breaking involved but should be monitered
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  22:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv never actually read this thread until now but it made me reaffirm my opinion on co habiting... iv just bought 2 more corns - lav stripe and hypo lav - but the first thing i thought of was would i have space/the money to get them their own fauns and supplies.. if i couldnt i wouldnt have got them...
im not saying its wrong as it can work really well as some people on here have shown but for me personally i wouldnt be able to feel comfortable knowing that even if i did do all the right research on it ect there was still a chance that something could go wrong.. after all i can never know what my snakes would be thinking when im not watching!!

the rep shop i go to only has 1 viv with more than one snake is and it has 3 yearlings in and they are kept in really good condition..they are all the same sex (female) and all the same age.. there are enough hides for all of them and its big enough for there to be plenty of room im always wanting to get them out and have a hold when im in there lol they keep all the hatchlings in individual tubs on shelves underneath with water and hides so there is no chance of them being cannibalistic or anything..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 03/09/2009 22:50:18
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  02:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking about getting another cornsnake to live with Steve. The pet shop i got it from has a breeder, all the snakes in his shop are born upstairs and then sold downstairs. He is a gd guy and a gd breeder, his advice to me was 2 snakes living together is ok just to be careful with opposite sex pairs for obv reasons. Personally i think 2 snakes living together is ok as long as they have room for themselves, i purposly bought a viv to fit 2 snakes just incase i thought about it. Fact is i know snakes eat other snakes and it is a danger when pairing together but ive also heard of snakes eating themselves! As long as they are fed fine and seperatly and have space for themselves i personally see no problem with it.
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  02:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its entirley up to the individual whether to house together or not you've read the views n opinions. i've cohabited snakes thought they were the same sex but no they were male n female . She survived her pregnancy at justover a year old had one hatchling 4 didn't survive. seperated the male n female, now the female is doing great the male was dominating her lying ontop of her or beside her , shes a totally different snake is doin great and the hatchling is now 5 days old. thing is unless you read up on it you may be doin more harm than good I was lucky so to speak .She was far too young to fall pregnant n lord knows what would have happend to her if the events didnt turn out the way they did. do some research i dont know about the same sex but it can take till year n half -two years to sex a corn{maturity}

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  03:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the wild snakes would not live together....they dont co-habit naturally but only when we choose to make them live together, they dont need company or feel lonely living by themselves. From what I have read, and I realise that I have no experience in this area, even when snakes co-habit and seem to 'cuddle together' they are actually only vying for the best spot in the viv. Do you want to put them together for the snake's beenefit (therefore no benefit) or for your benefit (cost)? xxx

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  12:38:54  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As kellog said.

I can see no advantage to housing corns together other than cost and space reduction.
In which case I would ask myself why I am getting another corn.

However there are a couple of people on here I would class as experts who do co-habit snakes with no issues, but they are able to read their snake's behaviour and tell when a snake is under stress.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

75 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  21:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ewwww and OMG! I am glad I saw them though, better to know all the risks and see them, otherwise some might always doubt and think "it'll be ok", thanks :)
why that one decided it looked good enough to eat i dont know! lol
sites I read suggest not keeping them together, and it hadn't really crossed my mind to keep them together, I suppose where I have Tarantulas and keep them all apart... poor snakeys :(
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  21:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing on shop; I saw a 3ft viv with 4 3FT CORNS.

Wasn't impressed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000