Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake Ate Snake!! DANGERS OF COHABITING!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  11:55:54  Show Profile
I have..... correction, had..... 2 baby cornsnakes.
A boy, named Reefer, and a girl, named Coral.

Reefer has proved to be a very strong feeder, however coral has not wanted to eat, but she got a lot of goodness from her yolk and was pooing regularly, and has been strong and helathy and growing fine. She has been strong up until the end of last week, she did a poo which seemed to empty her system, and within less than 24 hours she had started to get weak. My friend and i were about to attempt to try and help her to eat, one to hold her and the otehr to attempt to get a pinkie into her mouth...... we couldn't find her. On closer inspection, it would appear that Reefer had eaten her!!! Maybe becasue he coudl sense she had become weak?? We are not sure, but he was soooooo fat i thought he might pop. This happened about 8.15 friday evening. I check all my snakes atleast twice a day and sometime last night he has regurgitated her remains. Her head is slightly broken down but she is still very recogniseable as a bright pink snake (She was a Coral Snow).

Will this affect any of his future feeds?? Will this a ffect him full stop for future??

i have never ever ever known of this before, and have been involved with snakes a long time.

Any thoughts, advice, comments, whatever, appreciated!!!

Edited by - gingerpony on 18/08/2009 21:55:25

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:00:14  Show Profile
I'm sorry but that is just irresponsible ownership. You should NOT house hatchlings together for the very reason you have found out.

Your snake had such a poor feeding response as it was likely highly stressed due to it co-habiting with the other more dominant snake.

You say you have been involved with snakes for a long time, but I am shocked that you did not know about the danger of co-habiting hatchlings and the dangers and reasons for not doing so.

Your remaining snake will more than likely die now as it attempts to digest the huge meal, so in effect you've killed both by your stupidity.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:31:55  Show Profile
i find your response quite offensive, thanks for that, glad to know these forums are full of such helpful people. This is my first go at a forum, and i thhught there might be helpful/positive people. Not know it alls such as yourself who abuse people for no reason. I find that somewhat confusing???

My oldest snake is 15 years old and she is in perfect health thank you. These are not the first hatchlings i have been involved with and have never had a problem, ever. we have other hatchlings who are happily living together, feeding and healthy, and the other female hatchling i have is also healthy and eating with no problem.

Thanks for the offensive response.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:42:50  Show Profile
welcome to the forum rachel
im sorry to hear what happened to coral.
co-habiting snakes is always a risk, co-habiting hatchlings is an even bigger risk and is not recommended for the reason you have experienced.
i'm sure someone more experienced will be along to give you advice on the health of Reefer

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons
Go to Top of Page

Mishkaa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:46:28  Show Profile
I have not had snakes long, and am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but would hate to have found what you did with your young corns. There are lots of helpful people on this forum, and alot of friendly advice, please don't be put of by the above response. I agree it was a little abrupt but people are passionate about snakes as I'm sure you are.

I appreciate you have had snakes a long time but I'm sure there are still things for everyone to learn regardless. Alot of posts here go into the pitfalls of what and does happen with co-habitting snakes. Have a look around and read others experiences.

Welcome to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:49:01  Show Profile
thank you for your nice response, you are the kind of person i was hoping to hear from!!

i have older snakes living together very happily, and have never had any problem with either old or young cornsnakes!! I am aware there are risks, but then there are risks keeping any animals together. completely non related, but i have apony which hates other horses, she prefers humans!!! I guess that i just thought as i;ve never had a problem, then people were just overly cautious!!'I know accidents happen, and i'm hoping this is just a one off. We have more hatchlings living together, and they're all totally fine and always have been.

I have a 3 year old living with a 15 year old, they've been together for a couple of years now. Te older one, actually seems to "mother" the younger one, and is a much healthier snake for having company.

Reefer is very and active today, and appears to have forgotten what he's done, so i am hoping he will be ok.

i have had snakes regurgitate food before and have been fine.

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:52:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mishkaa

I have not had snakes long, and am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but would hate to have found what you did with your young corns. There are lots of helpful people on this forum, and alot of friendly advice, please don't be put of by the above response. I agree it was a little abrupt but people are passionate about snakes as I'm sure you are.

I appreciate you have had snakes a long time but I'm sure there are still things for everyone to learn regardless. Alot of posts here go into the pitfalls of what and does happen with co-habitting snakes. Have a look around and read others experiences.

Welcome to the forum.

thank you also for this reply.

yes ther response was more than abrupt. i am passionate about snakes, my oldest as 15, Lulu, and i absolutely love her to bits. she was my yougner brothers unwanted pet, he had her from a baby for about 6 months before he lost interest. Since then i have studied repiles a lot and done work in reptile centres too. As i say, enver before have a i had a problem with this. my friend has 10 cornsnakes living together, has had for many many years!! Its just bad luck i suppose. There are risks with everything. Walk out to work and you might get hit by a bus. bad things happen. doesn;t mean we should stop living alltogether!!!

of course i love my snakes, hence i have them .

and yes i am somewhat put off by that first response!! But, a couple of nice people have also responded which builds my hope back up.

:)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:56:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by neil

I'm sorry but that is just irresponsible ownership. You should NOT house hatchlings together for the very reason you have found out.

Your snake had such a poor feeding response as it was likely highly stressed due to it co-habiting with the other more dominant snake.

You say you have been involved with snakes for a long time, but I am shocked that you did not know about the danger of co-habiting hatchlings and the dangers and reasons for not doing so.

Your remaining snake will more than likely die now as it attempts to digest the huge meal, so in effect you've killed both by your stupidity.

i've had co habiting snakes for many years, still i have them co habilting actually, as have people i know. never had any problems. someone i know has 10 together, males and females and breeds them too and raises and sells the hatchlings. Never a problem yet.

Yes of course there are risks but there are with everything in life. thats called life. one of my snakes has actually improved in health since having a companion. don;t see the problem with that???

i don;t appreciate the abuse of being called stupid an irresposible. This is not the case. thanks. don't need "£advice" like that.

:)

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 08/04/2011 00:01:38
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  12:56:36  Show Profile
I see where neil is coming from. You say your'e experienced keeping snakes.. We try to help people and avoid these kind of problems. I hope for your sake the other one makes it okay..

I see also you house a 15 year old with a 3 year old. what happened if the 15 year old crushed the smaller one when you are out?

I know many on here co-habit but I don't think anyone on here cohabits hatchlings because the risks are lower when the snakes are bigger. They monitor their snakes very carefully looking for tension and match their size and age near on exactly.

Edited by - hillzi on 18/08/2009 12:56:54
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Hiya and welcome to the forum.

First off, it's a shame you lost one of your snakes due to cannabalism, but it happens with co-habiting sometimes. Co-habiting is a very grey area on opinions, Neil for example wouldn't, I do though. It's a risk factor that has been discussed heavily on here before. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

In regards 'Reefer', I'd at the moment treat as a normal regurge, leave him without feeds for 10-14 days, with plenty of water.
It can take time to build up digestive fluids again.

Hopefully you'll not be put off, but have a decent read through the thread I linked to above.
And we'll look forward to hearing from you again, and maybe pics????

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:17:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

I see where neil is coming from. You say your'e experienced keeping snakes.. We try to help people and avoid these kind of problems. I hope for your sake the other one makes it okay..

I see also you house a 15 year old with a 3 year old. what happened if the 15 year old crushed the smaller one when you are out?

I know many on here co-habit but I don't think anyone on here cohabits hatchlings because the risks are lower when the snakes are bigger. They monitor their snakes very carefully looking for tension and match their size and age near on exactly.

she won;t crush her, thats just being silly nowe!!! they're almost the same size, all be it the younger one is a few inches shorter!! They eat the same food, weanling rats. their colours are slightly different, but other than that when they are curled up together its difficult to differentiate which is which.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address

quote:

Sounds like a valid point, however you need to remember that snakes don't grow at a rate equal to humans.
Trio is 14 years old, he's about 3.5 foot long.
Kelloggs is 9, he's nearly 5 feet.
Sid is 7, she's just over 3.5 feet

It's the size that matters, not the ages.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:23:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rachelpanter

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Hiya and welcome to the forum.

First off, it's a shame you lost one of your snakes due to cannabalism, but it happens with co-habiting sometimes. Co-habiting is a very grey area on opinions, Neil for example wouldn't, I do though. It's a risk factor that has been discussed heavily on here before. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

In regards 'Reefer', I'd at the moment treat as a normal regurge, leave him without feeds for 10-14 days, with plenty of water.
It can take time to build up digestive fluids again.

Hopefully you'll not be put off, but have a decent read through the thread I linked to above.
And we'll look forward to hearing from you again, and maybe pics????

Reefer is fine this morning, and i even saw him drinking already, so i will leave him for 10-14 days then, then offer him a pinkie again.

i read the thread, well read the start of it!! Very interesting

i suppose like everything there are pro's and con's?? My other snakes are really happy together, and my oldest, Lulu, actually is better off for having a companion! Figure that out!?!

I have some beautiful snakes, and love them all.

Thank you very much and i will be back in touch! :)
thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:24:41  Show Profile
I know that Kings eat other Snakes but have not heard of corns doing so.
I feel for your loss but the reptile world as in the Animal world has it cannibalistic elements, it is possible that Reefer grabbed the opportunistic meal and found it hard to stomach.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:30:22  Show Profile
It's a possiblity. But it all depends on the snake and size..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:31:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

Sounds like a valid point, however you need to remember that snakes don't grow at a rate equal to humans.
Trio is 14 years old, he's about 3.5 foot long.
Kelloggs is 9, he's nearly 5 feet.
Sid is 7, she's just over 3.5 feet

It's the size that matters, not the ages.

very true, thank you!

Lulu's head is a fraction larger, but not alot. you wouldn;t think they are all that different in age at all.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:34:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by rachelpanter

i suppose like everything there are pro's and con's?? My other snakes are really happy together, and my oldest, Lulu, actually is better off for having a companion! Figure that out!?!

You're right, there are pros and cons, at the end of the day it's down to the owner and how they think the snakes will be.

I co-habit 3, with no problems and I personally feel they 'pine' for each other when split up for any length of time.
Even though they have always been together since young, but I'm still aware of what *could* happen.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:34:24  Show Profile
Okay then, if theyr'e not on size and weight then you won't worry about crushing. but do they have adequate space for themselves, so you have 4 hides and a bigger than normal vivarium?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:36:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

I know that Kings eat other Snakes but have not heard of corns doing so.
I feel for your loss but the reptile world as in the Animal world has it cannibalistic elements, it is possible that Reefer grabbed the opportunistic meal and found it hard to stomach.

i have experienced Kings eating kings, and i actually saw that too, it wa awful to see!!

Reefer certainly grabbed the opportunity, bless him!! i think his eyes were just bigger than his belly, as i found out today!! :)

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Multiple hides doesn't always work, here you go, a total of 13ft+ of snakes inside a lunchbox.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:38:36  Show Profile
Well thats good they wont be competing for space and warmests spots in the viv then. I'm sorry for you because two of your snakes have died. would seem the obvious reason?

and sorry for your snakes because there was probably a lot of stress the Reefer was under regurging and eating a live meal and the stress the other one suffered most likely being eaten alive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000