Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake Ate Snake!! DANGERS OF COHABITING!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:39:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Multiple hides doesn't always work, here you go, a total of 13ft+ of snakes inside a lunchbox.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa1/mensa_reject/snakes/PICT0046.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa1/mensa_reject/snakes/PICT0047.jpg

this is like my 2 corns together, 15 and 3 years old, they are always together like this no matter how many hides there are in the viv. the older 1 was always a really poor feeder, always very lathargic and generally not happy until i put Venus with her. Now she's a regular feeder and looks healthier and shineier than ever.

i like these pictures, they look soooo happy together!!! :)

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 08/04/2011 00:03:34
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
The biggest downside I have is the volume of poo I need to clean up a couple days after feeding!!!

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:44:26  Show Profile
The older one probably fed because of the imposed threat that the other 2 corns could be imposing upon it, and as the are opportunist feeders, natural competetion for food etc probably kicked in, so the other 2 wont take all the food.

Snakes aren't like most other animals, I know everyone wants best for their snake but they can't be happy/sad.. well at least no-ones proved that a snake is more happy in a scenario than another one.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:44:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Well thats good they wont be competing for space and warmests spots in the viv then. I'm sorry for you because two of your snakes have died. would seem the obvious reason?

and sorry for your snakes because there was probably a lot of stress the Reefer was under regurging and eating a live meal and the stress the other one suffered most likely being eaten alive.

i only have 1 snake died.

Reefer today is well and active, i will not feed him now for a fair few days, to give him recovery time. I have had snakes regurgitate before, for unknown reasons, but they're always been fine afterwards.

yes coral probably was not overly happy at being eaten but i'm guessing she wouldn;t have been alive long. it is a horrible thought i know, but can not now be undone.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:45:46  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
you say you know there are risks, and you took that risk. you also say you have more hatchlings cohabing so there remains a risk with them. You also call it an 'accident' despite knowing the risk - if those snakes had been housed individually, this 'accident' could have been avoided. I am totally in agreement with the angry mob, however shouting and ranting will do nothing because it has already happened.
My advice would be to seperate all the little ones so it doesn't happen to any others.

As for Reefer, only time will tell. As he has already tried eating a huge meal there is little doubt about his feeding response so IMO if he recovers from the regurge he will be fine. The best thing you can do for him is to get hold of some Critical Care Formula and add this to his water to help build up his gut fauna again, and give it a few weeks before you offer his next meal.

I hope lessons can be learned from this, not only by yourself but by others too - mistakes are there to be learned from ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:45:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

The biggest downside I have is the volume of poo I need to clean up a couple days after feeding!!!

i know the feeling with having 2 together in 1 viv!!! my ffriend has 10 in a massive viv, she's forever cleaning them out!! But wow, its just amazing to look at, especially when there are many out and active, all different and wonderful colours!!!

its truly beautiful!!
:)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:49:34  Show Profile
quote:

The older one probably fed because of the imposed threat that the other 2 corns could be imposing upon it, and as the are opportunist feeders, natural competetion for food etc probably kicked in, so the other 2 wont take all the food.

Snakes aren't like most other animals, I know everyone wants best for their snake but they can't be happy/sad.. well at least no-ones proved that a snake is more happy in a scenario than another one.

i truly believe i can tell when mine are happy. Lulu is definitely a happy snake. i know they're cold blooded and are supposed to have no feelings blah blah blah, but wit hhaving/knowing so many, its clear there are different "personalities" (??)

they are all fed seperately, in seperate fed containers so never come across each other during feeding so there is no direct threat.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  13:50:18  Show Profile
Regurgitation is something that will take the snake, a few days - a week to recover from. leaving him for a few days, as Kehhlyr said, will give him time to build his digestive enzymes back up.

I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy if I was being eaten

I don't wish to argue with you over the care of your snakes as I previously said I don't know you and this isn't the dark side.
If I have come over a bit sharp, sorry, it's just how I feel about situations like this, some people will look at differently to me though.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  14:13:11  Show Profile
Can I just say that although my reply was strongly worded, possibly even harsh, I am confused as to why you would find it offensive.

By your own admission you kept two hatchlings together and then asked why one of them didn't feed very well (presumably because it was highly stressed at being forced to cohabit), and eventually getting eaten alive...

Many caresheets state that you should not cohabit (especially hatchlings) - even breeding pairs are often advised to be seperated most of the year. http://www.cornsnakesource.com/forum/husbandry-basic-care/7476-corn-snake-caresheet.html is just one such caresheet. I found it surprising that with your experience you didn't know this, but each keeper is free to do as they wish.

I was upset because you had caused suffering, pain and death to the very animals you were responsible for.

I'm not trying to sound know-it-all, or condescending, or attacking you in any way - I was merely trying to point out that it was not a freak happening but something that is warned against quite regularly and it was a direct consequence of your own actions.

As part of the process of obtaining any pet I think we owe it to the animal in question to 'do our homework' and research as much as possible so that we are able to provide the right conditions and give it the best care that we can. I don't think that housing hatchlings together achieves this.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  14:35:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by neil

Can I just say that although my reply was strongly worded, possibly even harsh, I am confused as to why you would find it offensive.

By your own admission you kept two hatchlings together and then asked why one of them didn't feed very well (presumably because it was highly stressed at being forced to cohabit), and eventually getting eaten alive...

Many caresheets state that you should not cohabit (especially hatchlings) - even breeding pairs are often advised to be seperated most of the year. http://www.cornsnakesource.com/forum/husbandry-basic-care/7476-corn-snake-caresheet.html is just one such caresheet. I found it surprising that with your experience you didn't know this, but each keeper is free to do as they wish.

I was upset because you had caused suffering, pain and death to the very animals you were responsible for.

I'm not trying to sound know-it-all, or condescending, or attacking you in any way - I was merely trying to point out that it was not a freak happening but something that is warned against quite regularly and it was a direct consequence of your own actions.

As part of the process of obtaining any pet I think we owe it to the animal in question to 'do our homework' and research as much as possible so that we are able to provide the right conditions and give it the best care that we can. I don't think that housing hatchlings together achieves this.

well you do sound very condescending and somewhat patronising not to mention being on the attack, maybe how you word things needs improving in future??

as i have said , i have had cohabiting snakes or many years with no problems, had dealings with old adults, hatchlings and everything inbetween.

there are risks with everything, owning a rabbit or a guinea pig can bring just as many concerns or risks.

like i said, in all the years i;ve been doing this i've never ever had a problem and maybe because i;ve never had a problem then i didn;t see the real risk. of course i know of risks, i'm not that stupid despite what you think, its just i have never experienced it. i;ve always told anyone who asked me for advice that i keep snakes with other cornsnakes completetly problem free. my friedn has 10, ranging from 3 to 10 years old, again not a single slight problem!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  14:41:24  Show Profile
Perhaps rather than me changing how I word things, you should now be stating "i have had cohabiting snakes for many years with no problems up to now"

As you've stated several times that you've had no problems when quite obviously you have, you've provided a shining example why not to cohabit hatchlings.

I'll leave this thread now as I can see that anybody who doesn't agree with your point of view that it's perfectly okay to let their snakes eat each other is a nasty person who is 'attacking you'...

When your friend suffers something similar, or a stressed snake because of the competition for food or exhaustion due to trying to avoid constant attempts at mating, will you assume other people trying to point out their care issues are wrong too?

Edited by - n/a on 18/08/2009 14:43:34
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  15:04:20  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Rachel!
I'm very sorry to hear about Coral and I hope Reefer starts eating ok soon.
I just wanted to say that although I completely understand why people are against keeping corns together I also agree with you that there are risks with every animal.
As an example, I keep Japanese quail as pets and they are very sociable birds and it could be said to be cruel to house them separately, however I have had a few problems with my little group of girls even when I try everything for them; largest cage possible (20 squared foot for 5 birds instead of the recomended 1 squared ft for each bird), lots of toys, varied diet, no males, all raised together from chicks etc, etc... They have actually fallen out at the moment and I have had to separate them into two groups because if I was to leave them one of them could easier get killed :(

I just thought it made an interesting comparison, and shows that bad things can happen to even the most careful pet owner!

Jen

0.1.0 normal corn snakey (Acorn!)
0.1.0 Border collie cross (Molly)
0.1.0 Cat (Tess)
0.5.0 Japanese quails (Belle, Ariel, Nala, Beauty, Mary Poppins)
0.2.5 Tropical fishies
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  15:42:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jen88

Welcome to the forum Rachel!
I'm very sorry to hear about Coral and I hope Reefer starts eating ok soon.
I just wanted to say that although I completely understand why people are against keeping corns together I also agree with you that there are risks with every animal.
As an example, I keep Japanese quail as pets and they are very sociable birds and it could be said to be cruel to house them separately, however I have had a few problems with my little group of girls even when I try everything for them; largest cage possible (20 squared foot for 5 birds instead of the recomended 1 squared ft for each bird), lots of toys, varied diet, no males, all raised together from chicks etc, etc... They have actually fallen out at the moment and I have had to separate them into two groups because if I was to leave them one of them could easier get killed :(

I just thought it made an interesting comparison, and shows that bad things can happen to even the most careful pet owner!

Jen

thank you for that comparison and your understanding! That is a very good comparison, quail, i be they're interesting pets??

and yes bad things can happen to the most caring of pet owners. i've had pets all my life, including horses cats dogs chickens hamsters rabbits and guinea pigs. I also had 3 Jirds, (Like gerbils but much bigger) who are supposed to live seperately, but i had 3 males together, they lived fr many years happily until 1 died, then the other 2 went into depression and shortly after they died also. like they pined for their friend. very sad. but proved the "system" of right and wrong to be very much wrong.

thanks again, and nice to hear from you :)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  16:28:48  Show Profile
Good post Eeji, and well worded.

Cohabiting is your choice, but I think you may have to re-evaluate your decision.

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  16:39:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rachelpanter

quote:

i truly believe i can tell when mine are happy. Lulu is definitely a happy snake. i know they're cold blooded and are supposed to have no feelings blah blah blah, but wit hhaving/knowing so many, its clear there are different "personalities" (??)

they are all fed seperately, in seperate fed containers so never come across each other during feeding so there is no direct threat.

Why is it assumed that snakes don't have feelings?
They are sentient beings so they must feel something.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  17:14:30  Show Profile
No, like I snake isn't going to feel deprived if you take away a plant...

I snake will be fine in a RUB with newspaper as so it will be fine in a £75 viv with aspen.. etc.
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  18:36:42  Show Profile
Hi rachel and welcome to the forum. I am afraid i am also in agreement with the angry mob. You said that you truly believe when your snakes are happy but you didnt notice that coral was prabably stressed enough not to eat and still left her in with reefer. If one snake had got in with another and this happened it would be an accident. When you do something knowing their is a risk then it isnt an accident. If you carry on cohabiting snakes together and it happens again then you only have yourself to blame. And hillzi you have made some valid points well done. Anyway rant over, dont let this put you off being on this forum lets hope your next thread is a happier one.
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:02:24  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address
I dont think neil was being at all attacking! He used strong language as he felt strongly about the matter! I think if there is one thing you SHOULD learn from this, it is not to keep hatchlings together in the future!!!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:05:32  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
Rachel, may i use your post on another forum to help highlight the dangers of cohabbing? (if thats ok with the admin and mods here of course)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:59:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I've 'stickied'this topic and i'm going to lock it

personally i agree with neil's initial response.

if the OP want's to start a topic with regards to regurgitation or any other related topics that is, of course, fine.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000