The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 10.0 uv bulb ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 19:57:36
hi everyone my brother had recently given me a exo terra viv with a hood. The uv bulb in it is a 10.0 and i was wondering if it would harm my corn snake. I have also gotten an 18 month old carolina corn to go with it,you can see some white between his scales but he doesen't look over weight. I haven't got a chance to weigh him yet and he hasn't eaten for about 2 months but i think that is down to him being stressed at the pet shop.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 30/10/2010 : 09:22:13
ooh, that reminds me, i've got the push on/off stick on LED lights in some of my vivs.........
smiffy89 Posted - 30/10/2010 : 02:01:18
there sum nice led's at diy stores that give off very little heat aswell if your hand with a screwdriver
gingerpony Posted - 26/10/2010 : 21:45:58
just swap it for a pygmy or energy saver, that would be the best solution
n/a Posted - 26/10/2010 : 13:52:24
Thanks guys i will take out the 10.0 uv bulb now and replace it with a 2.0 tomorrow. I am still using a uv bulb because it is quite dark in the tank without one
gingerpony Posted - 26/10/2010 : 08:39:36
as eeji says, ditch the UV it's only needed for species predominantly active during during the day such as some species of lizard and geckos

5% is usually for tropical species where their sunlight would be filtered through trees etc in the wild
10% is for desert species exposed to strong direct sunlight

as corns are crepuscular (active at dawn and dusk) they don't need UV and a 10%UV bulb could potentially create problems
eeji Posted - 25/10/2010 : 23:32:41
if I was to use any uv at all (its not neccessary for corns) then I'd personally only use as high as 2%. a 10% tube is way too high and more suited to desert species

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000