10.0 uv bulb ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  19:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone my brother had recently given me a exo terra viv with a hood. The uv bulb in it is a 10.0 and i was wondering if it would harm my corn snake. I have also gotten an 18 month old carolina corn to go with it,you can see some white between his scales but he doesen't look over weight. I haven't got a chance to weigh him yet and he hasn't eaten for about 2 months but i think that is down to him being stressed at the pet shop.

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  23:32:41  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if I was to use any uv at all (its not neccessary for corns) then I'd personally only use as high as 2%. a 10% tube is way too high and more suited to desert species

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  08:39:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as eeji says, ditch the UV it's only needed for species predominantly active during during the day such as some species of lizard and geckos

5% is usually for tropical species where their sunlight would be filtered through trees etc in the wild
10% is for desert species exposed to strong direct sunlight

as corns are crepuscular (active at dawn and dusk) they don't need UV and a 10%UV bulb could potentially create problems

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  13:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys i will take out the 10.0 uv bulb now and replace it with a 2.0 tomorrow. I am still using a uv bulb because it is quite dark in the tank without one

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  21:45:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just swap it for a pygmy or energy saver, that would be the best solution

Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  02:01:18  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there sum nice led's at diy stores that give off very little heat aswell if your hand with a screwdriver
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  09:22:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ooh, that reminds me, i've got the push on/off stick on LED lights in some of my vivs.........

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000