The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 shedding help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Casta Posted - 20/10/2011 : 15:55:22
got a couple of questions.

my 8 wk old hatchling shed a week ago. it was very patchy and she managed to get her head done herself (hunted the viv and found the eye caps)after 3 days and a bath later it still hadn't substantially shifted so i ran her through a warm wet towel. the skin came off easily in 2 pieces, from the neck downwards. there is still a small piece of skin on one side of her neck but its too close to her head for me to get it off (cant get a hold to keep her still due to smooth new skin). should i worry about getting this off or just leave it? i've noticed small bits of shed occasionally in the viv so i assume its just gonna come off on its own?

Also whilst she was in blue i noticed she had a graze at the base of her tail. i can only assume she caught herself in the vents (she a real climber). the tip of the tail seems fine and i think the shed is off it. the damaged area is very dry and rough but i didn't notice any blood or weeping from it. will it just heal normally and the damaged skin shed out? its just the area on the side and back.

looks a bit unsightly coz she's a snow so its really noticeable.

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Casta Posted - 20/10/2011 : 17:45:49
thanks, gonna try that when i next see her in blue (or pink :-p took me a while to figure that one out.)didn't figure out about the damp hide till she was in shed (didn't help much at that point). Got a hygrometer on order just to be sure. she didn't have a lot in her viv to rub on (kitchen roll and tubes) thats sorted now with her wee grass ball and a well scrubbed rock (also changing the substrate)tried to get that bit of skin off (shes not a biter just hates me grabbing her head- understandably). does anyone think i need to worry about the graze?
Mamma Posted - 20/10/2011 : 16:43:22
set up a moist hide for future sheds. This will hopefully help your snake to shed better. I had to do this for a bad shedder. After a few sheds using the moist hide he is now shedding well on his own
tordyjo Posted - 20/10/2011 : 16:41:15
try letting her wriggle through a damp towel, something a little rough to help get it off putting a little bit of pressure on the towel, if she does nip you it isn't really going to hurt not at that age.

If she's not a good shedder you may want to consider using a moist hide - either damp kitchen roll or sphagmum moss in a plastic butter dish with a little hole she can get in, when she next is due to shed, although i know with a snow thats hard to tell sometimes

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000