Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  15:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got a couple of questions.

my 8 wk old hatchling shed a week ago. it was very patchy and she managed to get her head done herself (hunted the viv and found the eye caps)after 3 days and a bath later it still hadn't substantially shifted so i ran her through a warm wet towel. the skin came off easily in 2 pieces, from the neck downwards. there is still a small piece of skin on one side of her neck but its too close to her head for me to get it off (cant get a hold to keep her still due to smooth new skin). should i worry about getting this off or just leave it? i've noticed small bits of shed occasionally in the viv so i assume its just gonna come off on its own?

Also whilst she was in blue i noticed she had a graze at the base of her tail. i can only assume she caught herself in the vents (she a real climber). the tip of the tail seems fine and i think the shed is off it. the damaged area is very dry and rough but i didn't notice any blood or weeping from it. will it just heal normally and the damaged skin shed out? its just the area on the side and back.

looks a bit unsightly coz she's a snow so its really noticeable.

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  16:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try letting her wriggle through a damp towel, something a little rough to help get it off putting a little bit of pressure on the towel, if she does nip you it isn't really going to hurt not at that age.

If she's not a good shedder you may want to consider using a moist hide - either damp kitchen roll or sphagmum moss in a plastic butter dish with a little hole she can get in, when she next is due to shed, although i know with a snow thats hard to tell sometimes

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  16:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
set up a moist hide for future sheds. This will hopefully help your snake to shed better. I had to do this for a bad shedder. After a few sheds using the moist hide he is now shedding well on his own

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  17:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, gonna try that when i next see her in blue (or pink :-p took me a while to figure that one out.)didn't figure out about the damp hide till she was in shed (didn't help much at that point). Got a hygrometer on order just to be sure. she didn't have a lot in her viv to rub on (kitchen roll and tubes) thats sorted now with her wee grass ball and a well scrubbed rock (also changing the substrate)tried to get that bit of skin off (shes not a biter just hates me grabbing her head- understandably). does anyone think i need to worry about the graze?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000