The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Advise on starting - NEWBIE

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nickking93 Posted - 04/01/2013 : 12:57:12
hi all

im new to the forum and have been reading alot before commenting and you all seem very helpful so..

basically im looking to get a Corn snake, but picking the correct set up is proving hard. ive been looking at Komodo's Corn snake Starter kit
but 40x30x35 seems small ?? or there is the option of buying items separately and getting a plastic storage box because i see alot of people do that!

basically i want to know what you guys thinks best options and if you could tell me what you started with?

ill look forward to replys!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 04/01/2013 : 20:05:04
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

...I currently have three hatchlings that are in lock top food tubs from asda Just drilled some small holes in them for air, very cheap and haven't had any escapes from them.

This is how I set up hatchlings too, using kitchen roll substrate, bog roll tubes cut in half lengthways for hides (they tend to be a pain in the rear to get out of full ones) and glass tea light holders from Ikea for water bowls.
Moppet Posted - 04/01/2013 : 16:10:54
I set my first two youngsters up like the sticky thread suggests Worked a treat. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

I currently have three hatchlings that are in lock top food tubs from asda Just drilled some small holes in them for air, very cheap and haven't had any escapes from them. They're about due to move up to a faun as they're a little big for the tubs now.
viraleye Posted - 04/01/2013 : 15:39:26
For a hatchie -An exo Terra breeding tub or exo Terra faun are perfect. Small 7w heat mat coupled to a habistat pulse stat. digital thermometer. Kitchen roll for substrate. Little pots, toilet tubes etc for hides. In my opinion you couldn't get better!
a33272 Posted - 04/01/2013 : 14:15:21
Ya better off buying a small branded RUB. you can pick them from rymans etc at decent price. Then to start all you need is the basics small heat mat. thermostat. At least one digital thermometer. Then if ya getting a hatchling you can use alsorts of stuff from around the home as hides an water bowls. There's a few online places that are really cheap for the essential stuff likes mat an stat. Like surreypetsupplies and swell reptiles.
Hissyfit Posted - 04/01/2013 : 14:09:48
Hi and welcome to the forum
I started with a 30x30x30cm exo terra terrarium with heat mat, thermostat (habistat mat stat), 2x digital thermometers, 2x small hides, small water bowl, wooden log, plastic plants & substrate. I paid roughly £50 for all but the mat stat, got that for £23 from ebay. I got this for a yearling corn, and it only lasted him a few months and he needed something bigger...but it did last my little hatchling over a year when he moved into it
If I was starting from scratch again I'd go for one of the monkfield terraniums, they are so easy to set up and very escape proof! They come in a range of sizes. I have the 24" one with my 18 month old corn in it and he'll be fine in there for quite a while yet

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000