Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickking93
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  12:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all

im new to the forum and have been reading alot before commenting and you all seem very helpful so..

basically im looking to get a Corn snake, but picking the correct set up is proving hard. ive been looking at Komodo's Corn snake Starter kit
but 40x30x35 seems small ?? or there is the option of buying items separately and getting a plastic storage box because i see alot of people do that!

basically i want to know what you guys thinks best options and if you could tell me what you started with?

ill look forward to replys!

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  14:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum
I started with a 30x30x30cm exo terra terrarium with heat mat, thermostat (habistat mat stat), 2x digital thermometers, 2x small hides, small water bowl, wooden log, plastic plants & substrate. I paid roughly £50 for all but the mat stat, got that for £23 from ebay. I got this for a yearling corn, and it only lasted him a few months and he needed something bigger...but it did last my little hatchling over a year when he moved into it
If I was starting from scratch again I'd go for one of the monkfield terraniums, they are so easy to set up and very escape proof! They come in a range of sizes. I have the 24" one with my 18 month old corn in it and he'll be fine in there for quite a while yet

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  14:15:21  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ya better off buying a small branded RUB. you can pick them from rymans etc at decent price. Then to start all you need is the basics small heat mat. thermostat. At least one digital thermometer. Then if ya getting a hatchling you can use alsorts of stuff from around the home as hides an water bowls. There's a few online places that are really cheap for the essential stuff likes mat an stat. Like surreypetsupplies and swell reptiles.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  15:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a hatchie -An exo Terra breeding tub or exo Terra faun are perfect. Small 7w heat mat coupled to a habistat pulse stat. digital thermometer. Kitchen roll for substrate. Little pots, toilet tubes etc for hides. In my opinion you couldn't get better!

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko

Edited by - viraleye on 04/01/2013 15:41:15
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  16:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I set my first two youngsters up like the sticky thread suggests Worked a treat. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

I currently have three hatchlings that are in lock top food tubs from asda Just drilled some small holes in them for air, very cheap and haven't had any escapes from them. They're about due to move up to a faun as they're a little big for the tubs now.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  20:05:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

...I currently have three hatchlings that are in lock top food tubs from asda Just drilled some small holes in them for air, very cheap and haven't had any escapes from them.

This is how I set up hatchlings too, using kitchen roll substrate, bog roll tubes cut in half lengthways for hides (they tend to be a pain in the rear to get out of full ones) and glass tea light holders from Ikea for water bowls.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000