New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  19:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off hi to the forum and it's members. I'm Andy and have just got my first cornsnake. I haven't handled him since getting him home, I've let him settle in, fed him and left him for a couple days. Today I tried to get him out but he was just striking at me, I tried to distract him then stroke him but he'd just spin around to strike again. I've spoken to my mate who said he sounds hungry still which is what I was thinking so have fed him again this evening and he seemed really keen. I'll now leave him for another couple of days. Is there any advice for when I come to approach him again as I've lost some confidence tonight

1.0.0 Carolina - Harry Cornelius
1.0.0 Irian Jaya jaguar carpet python- Monty
0.1.0 cat - Bella
0.0.1 fish - Justin beiber

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  20:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. You will have to persevere with him. He is just getting used to you as you are to him. Some people say to put something in with them so they get used to your smell. A glove or sock or similar. Try to be confident when putting your hand in so he gets used to you. And good luck with him.
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  20:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'd be best to leave him for at least 7 days to settle in, and don't feed more than once every 5-7 days or he will always be digesting food.Try putting a clean sock in the waistband of your trousers for a few hours, then put it in the viv with the snake, it'll let him get used to your scent and it can help with snappy nervous snakes
What is your set up like, viv size, temperatures, do you have a thermostat? How old is the snake and when did you get him?

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  20:28:58  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Best thing is to leave him for a week to settle in. Just change his water daily and clean up any mess.
The sock trick is good advice and works for some, if not most, snakes.
While you're letting him settle in have a read of our caresheet, on the homepage. It's full of great advice.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  21:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

You'd be best to leave him for at least 7 days to settle in, and don't feed more than once every 5-7 days or he will always be digesting food.Try putting a clean sock in the waistband of your trousers for a few hours, then put it in the viv with the snake, it'll let him get used to your scent and it can help with snappy nervous snakes
What is your set up like, viv size, temperatures, do you have a thermostat? How old is the snake and when did you get him?

the viv is about 18/20 inches by 14 by 7ish temps are about 27/28 on the warm side and 22/23 on the cool. He's around 14 months old and i got him week and a half ago

0.1.0 cat - Bella

Edited by - harry Cornelius on 30/12/2012 21:54:37
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 :  00:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he just needs a bit more time to settle in. Try the sock trick it does seem to work What size mice Iare you feeding him ?

Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 :  00:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

Sounds like he just needs a bit more time to settle in. Try the sock trick it does seem to work What size mice Iare you feeding him ?

he's taking medium mice,which i feel may be little small for him, I'm also concerned that I've been ill advised on the fact he will be ok in the starter tank, I'm going to more reputable shop in the morning to see what they feel

0.1.0 cat - Bella
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 :  15:09:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you probably find that he will be ok once out of the viv, so bite the bullet and just pick him up quickly and confidently - chances are you won't get bitten.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  10:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well today's the day lol he's got to come out as he's decided to leave me a little present and I say little loosely as it appears more has come out than what went in haha

0.1.0 cat - Bella
Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  14:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Result guys lol he has settled right down from the first time I tried to handle him there was none of the twitching and trying to strike at me. I just went in, gave him a little rub then picked him up. He tried to get away for about a minute then chilled out and just had a nose around my body. So happy hes calmer because I was getting worried I'd chose a crazed killer haha. Atleast now we can start to bond and enjoy the next 20 yrs together, even the wife is chilling as for the kids they love him already

0.1.0 cat - Bella
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  21:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great. Now you need to show us.some pics of him.
Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  22:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tk72

That's great. Now you need to show us.some pics of him.

haha yer will do I'll have a look tomoz about uploading pics

0.1.0 cat - Bella
Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  20:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so here's my boy posing