Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  12:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

As you may have noticed I have been using a different alternative to substrate. A green rug from Ikea, with Velcro attachments to the vivarium to secure it.

After several washes in the machine it has done well. Although after only having the corn 4 months I have noticed that the rug may not be the most suitable.

Pros

- Easy to Wash (Although this is very time consuming)
- Looks Very Natural
- It overall will be cost effective
- It is more heat efficient and Sustains variable temperatures in vivarium well
- It is suitable for Vivarium feeding (providing you use something to put the prey item ontop of)

Overall I'm really pleased with the substrate, although concerned about how to wash / clean it effectively for hygeine reasons (would be interested to here how you would go about this)

Cons

- Once it has been urinated on / excreted on it does smell
- You have to wash it at least once a week (this is the main concern as high temperatures would cause this to fall apart)
- It takes ages to dry out (plus if you dont dry it efficiently then it could cause the vivarium to have condensation, which is bad for the snake)
- Not 100% sure whether the method of cleaning is 99.9% Killing germs
- It is starting to fall apart from being washed at 40 degrees

Outcome

I'm planning on sticking with the substrate if I can, although would be really looking to hear your thoughts and oppinions beforehand.

If it proves evident that I should change the substrate, I will then be aiming to have co**** beech chips.

Another Idea I came up with was to use Beech Chips, whilst the substrate rug was drying out.

Look forward to your verdict

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  12:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a lot of trouble, but it really does look great Maybe invest in another few pieces, then washing & drying won't be a problem as you'll always have a clean one ready to use

Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  12:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

It sounds like a lot of trouble, but it really does look great Maybe invest in another few pieces, then washing & drying won't be a problem as you'll always have a clean one ready to use

Thats a good idea! Thanks for the input.
Go to Top of Page

ean632
Hatchling

United Kingdom
142 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  16:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the repti carpet and its great, washes easy and dries well.

Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  17:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at 40 c you're not killing anything. You might even be encouraging somethings to multiply faster.

With that said you in no way want it to be sterile (and you couldn't keep it that way anyhow) you only want it to be pathogen free. I suspect that most of the nasties die anyway when exposed to oxygen if snake intestinal flora is anything like human intestinal flora. Also bear in mind that the bacteria coming out of the snake are 'safe' for the snake as his immune system already has a relationship with them. While distasteful (pun intended) coprophagy is not fatal/dangerous so long as you are consuming your own outputs and are free from parasites/pathogens.

What about spot cleaning it instead of running it through the wash? With something like a shopvac (or other wet/dry vac) you could soak the soiled area then suck all the water + excreta out without having to soak the whole thing. If the soaking was done using steam it would certainly kill most anything living in the treated area.

Dessication is also a very powerful antimicrobial... you could put it into a sealed bag with a hygrometer and salt, the salt will pull moisture from the air which will then pull water from any 'critters'.. then just shake it/vacuum it and you should be good to go.

How many pieces do you have?

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  18:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have mine on cage carpet and just sling it in the washing machine. It drys really quickly and comes with two sheets so you have a spare. It is washed weekely and is holding up very well although one has shrunk slightly. so that could be an option for you to consider.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  18:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thorne Walker

Well at 40 c you're not killing anything. You might even be encouraging somethings to multiply faster.

With that said you in no way want it to be sterile (and you couldn't keep it that way anyhow) you only want it to be pathogen free. I suspect that most of the nasties die anyway when exposed to oxygen if snake intestinal flora is anything like human intestinal flora. Also bear in mind that the bacteria coming out of the snake are 'safe' for the snake as his immune system already has a relationship with them. While distasteful (pun intended) coprophagy is not fatal/dangerous so long as you are consuming your own outputs and are free from parasites/pathogens.

What about spot cleaning it instead of running it through the wash? With something like a shopvac (or other wet/dry vac) you could soak the soiled area then suck all the water + excreta out without having to soak the whole thing. If the soaking was done using steam it would certainly kill most anything living in the treated area.

Dessication is also a very powerful antimicrobial... you could put it into a sealed bag with a hygrometer and salt, the salt will pull moisture from the air which will then pull water from any 'critters'.. then just shake it/vacuum it and you should be good to go.

How many pieces do you have?

Wow thats some indepth knowledge you have shared there thank you. Although this has now made me even more concerned as I'm using the washing machine that I wash my clothes in. Plus if my partner discovers this she will go dolalaleeee.

So I have decided to keep the rug for back up, for the time being switched over to beech chips.

Thank you all for taking the time to give me advice.

In regards to the repti carpet, I dont think its for me. As it looks like sandpaper IMO But I can see why its used, so no disrespect intended.

Edited by - Welshlamb on 03/01/2013 18:47:11
Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  22:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where can I look to find a backdrop like the one you have it really sets off the viv ??

1.0.0 Carolina - Harry Cornelius
1.0.0 Irian Jaya jaguar carpet python- Monty
0.1.0 cat - Bella
0.0.1 fish - Justin beiber
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  02:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

I'm using the washing machine that I wash my clothes in. Plus if my partner discovers this she will go dolalaleeee.

So I have decided to keep the rug for back up, for the time being switched over to beech chips.

I really recommend the book 'Good Germs Bad Germs' by J S Sachs... It will change the way you look at the world...

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Germs-Bad-Survival-Bacterial/dp/0809016427

In a nutshell: there are more critters living on and in you then you could possibly imagine... and if it wasn't like that you'd die.

You wash your 'underthings' in that washer? Guess what that means

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248

Edited by - Thorne Walker on 04/01/2013 02:57:41
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  07:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have more bacterial cells in and on you than human. You are basically a walking bacterial colony

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  08:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harry Cornelius

Where can I look to find a backdrop like the one you have it really sets off the viv ??

Here is the background you are looking for http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-tank-decoration-411/backgrounds-509/exo-terra-terrarium-background-26605.html br / " target="_blank"> br / br / Here is the background you are looking for: br / br / http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-tank-decoration-411/backgrounds-509/exo-terra-terrarium-background-26605.html br /

I did reply in the post you made in the D.I.Y section.

You got to be kidding me, will seriously take a look into that book lol

Although I'm not to sure what it will do to my mental outlook on the world. I'm OCD enough, When it comes to my Snake.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  12:18:25  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Obviuously a rug isn't designed to go through a washing machine. An something like what which I wool by the looks of is is only designed for a light hoovering too. So durability will be pretty poor. Only way around that is to have several being rotated so one in use on being cleaned one drying an one ready to use that way. That way at least they won't wear as quick.

as you already away 40 wash won't do much. Most germs an bacteria doesn't get killed until 80+. There are ways around it but ends up becoming more hastle then.

Reptile carpet is basically astroturf. So very hard wearing. How about the matting used my green grocers outside shops to dress shelving

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  19:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

Obviuously a rug isn't designed to go through a washing machine. An something like what which I wool by the looks of is is only designed for a light hoovering too. So durability will be pretty poor. Only way around that is to have several being rotated so one in use on being cleaned one drying an one ready to use that way. That way at least they won't wear as quick.

as you already away 40 wash won't do much. Most germs an bacteria doesn't get killed until 80+. There are ways around it but ends up becoming more hastle then.

Reptile carpet is basically astroturf. So very hard wearing. How about the matting used my green grocers outside shops to dress shelving

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree to much messing around. I think I have finaly settled for beech chips.

Thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  22:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love aspen bedding it keeps the old ticker pumping when they play hide and seek with you on a morning lol

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000