The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 Confused

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foobs Posted - 01/12/2014 : 21:53:21
I've been trying to get my head around genetics and the resulting morphs, as the breeding aspect of corn snakes interests me (not that anything is going to happen for a few years yet!). So I thought I'd start with Drakos Parents to find out what was possible from his clutch.

The mother was a snow (a+b) and the father was a candycane motley(a+m). Neither have known hets, so I am assuming that they have none.

So does this mean that the following would have been in the clutch:
Candycane 25%
Snow 25%
Candycane motley 25%
Anery Motley 25%

If not can someone explain where I have gone wrong? Also what hets if any would I end up with?

Thanks
Foobs
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Foobs Posted - 05/12/2014 : 04:00:20
Thanks eeji, I went for the book as it only cost about £4 for the digital version and it's cleared up a few questions I've had, so it's paid for itself already.

Back on the breeder issue. I've found out that the manager of the shop, who I've been discussing this with, is not the person who bred the corns (although he owned one of them). It has come to light that there may have been another female who is an Anery, which would explain everything and make Drako an Anery het Amel.
eeji Posted - 04/12/2014 : 19:25:36
I haven't read Genetics for Herpers, but I have heard its good (this was coming from someone who really knows their onions on the subject).

As well as using the calculators theres also a punnett square calculator on IV which can help you visualise the results a bit more than a list of outcomes.
Foobs Posted - 04/12/2014 : 01:12:04
Razee you've just hit the nail on the head. I think that the breeder is either withholding something (i.e. hatchlings not bred by them?) or something else.

I've gone through two different calculators and added hets to each parent and the results I get are either visually Amel or a mixture of Amel and Snow hatchlings, regardless.

Anyway, thanks for confirming what I have just discovered about 30 minutes ago, you don't know how grateful I am. I have emailed the breeder with the same information, so watch this space for his response (if he doesn't just ignore me!).

This is really not helpful when you are trying to grasp a subject such as genetics and the results just don't add up...

I've read through the first section on genetics at http://cornguide.com/geneticspages.php, which is very good, along with a few other online resources (Ian's Vavarium, VMSherp and it's slowly sinking in ). Has anyone read the Genetics for Herpers from the same author and is it worth reading, or should I just stick to the information online?

Another calculator I found helpful in addition to the corncal website is http://www.reptilecalculator.com/corn-snake-morph-calculator

Foobs

Razee Posted - 03/12/2014 : 19:03:08
If one parent was a snow ( amel and anery ), and one parent candycane motley ( genetically amel motley - candycane is just a variant of amel ) - but they have produced an anery hatchling ( your Drako ) - then the candycane motley must also be het for anery.

This is because for any recesive gene to show visually, the snake has to carry both copies of that gene. If he only caries one copy of that gene, and a normal copy, it won't actually show the trend, but if it then mates with another het, or visual, it can produce visual babies. So, the snow would have two copies of anery gene, and two copies of amel gene. The candy cane motley has two copies of amel gene, two copies of motley gene ( showing both traits ), but only one copy of anery gene, the other being normal - so not showing the anery trait, but carrying it genetically.

When they mated, your Drako received one copy of anery gene from the snow, and one copy of anery gene ( the het part ) from the candy cane - having two copies of anery, he is showing it. He will also be a het for amel, and het for motley.

ACTUALLY - WRONG! Just thought - the parents must be wrong - if you mate a snow to candy cane, he would have HAD TO receive the amel gene from both parents, too! So, he would have been a snow! They can't be his parents... :-0
Donnie Posted - 02/12/2014 : 20:21:48
Have a play on here http://www.corncalc.com/
It will show you what you get and all possible hets for a specific pairing
gmac Posted - 02/12/2014 : 11:51:54
All would be anery het amel then
gmac Posted - 02/12/2014 : 11:51:20
Yup would have to be
Foobs Posted - 02/12/2014 : 01:00:42
That's confused me even more as Drako is an Anery visually. I think I might have got the parents around the wrong way, sorry. Does that make a difference?
gmac Posted - 01/12/2014 : 22:29:56
Candycane is selectively bred so doubt any wod be candycane but never can tell
gmac Posted - 01/12/2014 : 22:28:58
100% amel het anery motley.

Both parents must have a copy of each gene to produce visual morph

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000