The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello Pre Owner Buying Advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 25/08/2009 : 22:27:32
Hi everyone, I'm Mick, I just thought I would introduce myself and hopefully get some good pre buying advice and hopefully make some new friends.
I was wondering if I could have some opinions on my pre buy cencept setup and a few other questions please.

First off this was the equipment I was planning to buy, based on a hatchling Corn Snake.

Wooden Vivarium 24"x18"x12" (looking at the Vivexotics range)
Exo Terra Heat Wave Desert Mat 26 x 28cm
Habistat Temp Thermostat
Bulb, Holder and Guard
T-Rex Aspen Bedding
Scooper
Exo Terra Dial Thermometer x 2
Breakout Disinfectant
Exo Terra Water Dish Medium
Exo Terra Rock Outcrop Small
Exo Terra Forest Branch Small
Exo Terra Bendable Jungle Vine Small
Digital on/off timer
Bacterial Handwash

QUESTIONS
1.Something Smaller? - After looking at the sectio prior to entering the forum it seems as though the above setup setup will be way too big for a hatchling? The above size is what is given out by my local reptile store for hatchling Corns. Looking at the snkaes in their boxes instore they looked about 8" long so maybe I should go for something alot smaller. I have read a few keepers keep their hatchlings in plastic boxes and all sorts but this raises concerns for me, cable entry points, no light source, not much space for 2 dens and such.

2.Terrarium vs Vivarium - If the above size would be ok then what are your opinions on Terrariums vs Vivariums. I initially looked at Terrariums as I like the idea of viewing the snake from any side. I could only spot a few negatives with a glass Terrarium, a)the glass not being a good insulator, b)the lamps in the optional canopy are directly over head, so heat variance might be a concern. Vertical thermo radiance rather than horizontal. The terrarium I was lokking at was the Exo Terra PT2600 30x30x30cm to start off with then when the Corn turned adult move onto the Exo Terra PT2613 90x45x45cm. On the Vivarium side I was thinking of the Vivexotics LX24 58.7x37.5x40.5 then move onto the VX36.

3.Lighting - On some online stores I am seeing differnt styles lights, like Standard light, Basking light, Spot light, Halogen, should I just go for a standard light bulb. If I gor for a Terrarium you can have the optional canaopy with differnt light fittings, has anyone used these before?

4.Cleaning - I presume "spot cleaning everyday" just refers to cleaning the areas that the snake has urinated or deficated? Then doa once a month total clean and disinfect? What would be the best disinfectant to use? I have a Gerbilarium that I clean out every 2 weeks and I use Johnsons Clean n Safe, could I use this or are there disinfectants specifically for snakes? The same for the hand wash, are there any I should avoid?

5.Feeding - I have read on some care sheets that you should feed the snake out of it's Vivarium to avoid accidental swallowing of the substrate, but surely this contradicts advice about not handling the snake for 2 days after it has fed?

6.Dens and Decor - I initially looked at the Exo Terra Reptile Den as I like the idea of being able to take the out side section off to view the snake insde, ideal for the Terrarium but if I get a wooden Vivarium it would be pain having to remove it whenever I opened the door(s).
I have also read that Corn snakes predomanently spend most of their time on the ground they do accaisionally climb, so is it worth investing in all the decor I have listed above? The vines etc?

7.Gerbils vs a Corn Snake - As I said, I have a Gerbilarium with 4 Gerbils inside, where I was planning to put the Vivarium is about 8-10 feet away, given how snakes scent/sense their prey is this going to be a problem? Will it be able to smell them or stress out the snake knowing their is a food source there but not be able to get to it?

Anyway, thats finally all for now, apologies for the long post, thanks and kind regards in advance.

Mick

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 11/09/2009 : 01:40:43
Thanks for the link Hannah, I will also see if I can look up some images of what you reckon they might be. The reptile store has the snakes I am interested in and it's only down the road..... more or less, and they are breeders. They have Okeetees and they also have a Fire Amel that looks gorgeous.

Mick
HannahB Posted - 10/09/2009 : 15:30:54
sounds like the parents are an anery (black and white) and a snow..im thinking he would probably end up with normals and anery hatchlings but im not sure, okeetees and bloodreds are sometimes hard to find - might be a case of finding a breeder try www.hissnhers.co.uk - sue is amazing and might have a morph you like
LittleMick Posted - 09/09/2009 : 23:16:13
Thanks for all the replies and comments.
Well it's not definite yet anyway and I still have a few months to decide. And if I do get one I'll just monitor it closely.
KITTYCAT Posted - 08/09/2009 : 19:16:53
Im no expert but there must be away round about the situation. Where i got my snakes from there was a glass partition between the adult snakes ic. boas, rat snakes etc.and the hatchlings, lizards,tarantulas(shivering at the thought of spiders house spiders seam to be getting bigger terrified of them)with no probs.although snakes can taste smell with their tongue they also see heat source maybe if you only had the front facing easy to view n the other 2-3 sides blacked out away from the view of the gerbils. Just a thought.
Kellog Posted - 08/09/2009 : 03:14:38
Still would worry about the gerbil situation LittleMick, would hate to buy a snake and put it into a stressful situation. xxx
LittleMick Posted - 07/09/2009 : 22:10:24
Well I finally found someone who has Corns in the same room as her Gerbs and no issues. So I only have to decide whether I want another companion.

I also found out the colours of the parents, not the proper names though just colours. The male ia black and white and the female is a creamy colour. I asked if he could predict the next colouration, but he said no, the last bactch of hatchlings were a mish mash of colours, ranging from black/white, cram and chocolate brown.
If I was to get one I was rather hoping for a Blood Red morph, or Okeetee phase. Think thats correct.

Mick
LittleMick Posted - 06/09/2009 : 21:21:15
Thanks Kitty.

Well, it's going to be a tuffy decision. Not so much because of the Gerbils. But certainly the other reasons. So far I haven't come across anyone who has kept Gerbils and snakes in the same room, and only 4 people who have kept Guinea Pigs or rats in the same room as either Corn snakes or Pythons. One chap even said he noticed a marked differece in his Python in that normally it was quite a frisky eater before he had the rats, then when he got the rats there was a contatant smell of rats in the room and the Python wasn't so aggressive at feeding time after that.

Anyway, I've still got 4 months to decide and see I will have to do furniture wise. I'm not sure on growth rates of Corn snakes but I would imagine I would have another few months of them in a faun before I have to move them to a viv. And if I decide not to get them I can always give him number for if he breeds anymore.

Thanks for the advice as well.

Mick
KITTYCAT Posted - 05/09/2009 : 13:06:46
hi n welcome to the forum. the heat mat sits under neath the viv etc you can stick the themorstat to the heat mat and have a themometer inside.when cleaning the viv i put my snake into a tuperware that i use for feeding i normally do this when the snake is due to be fed.
Kellog Posted - 05/09/2009 : 11:17:31
Am still not sure about how fair it is on the snakes to keep something that smells like their prey in the same room as them - would have thought if would keep them constantly in hunting mode or stressed. I think you will find lots of differing advice, especially on other forums some who are very dodgy from what I have seen. In the end it is your decision, but it does sound as though you have a number of reasons not to rush into getting a snake yet. xxx
LittleMick Posted - 05/09/2009 : 04:48:10
Well, I ended up going for a Leopard Gecko, seemed nice and small and an ideal first reptile after the snake. She's great, I say she, but she/it is too young to sex yet. But she has already seemed to settle in quite well, she has found her warm hide and calcium dish and waits by the viv door when she thinks she is going to get fed, lol.

On the snake side, an opportunity has arisen. Fter all the conversations about reptiles and rodents I have come across 3 now that keep them in the same room and have no problems. Some have Guinea Pigs and someone else has rats literally next to a Python enclosure. So I think the subject is debatable.

A woman at work said her son (I think he is) keeps his Guinea Pigs (rodent?!?) in the same room, another another lass on a reptile forum said about her rats. Anyway, this chap, Sean I think his name is, has all sorts of pets and his his Corns have laid about 12 eggs. He says they will hatch around December time. He asked her if I take care of my pets, and she said "You're joking ain't you, he dotes after them, always talking about them", so he said well if he still wants a Corn snake he can have a couple when they hatch, he normally sells them, but I would get them for free, I think they range from about £60 - £120 at th elocal store.

The Dilemma
My dilemma is, now that I have already got my Leo whether or not I should still go for a couple of Corns, there's a couple factors that will influence my decision.
a) Time - adding another pet to the family, I don't want to end up like one of these people that has too many pets and no time to take care of them, those people are the same as people who just out right abuse animals.
b)Space - Given I have only one room available for my pets, space is abit restrictive for me, I have my new viv set up for my Leo, floor space will be a no, so the only option really is stackable vivs. At first it wouldn't be a problem as I can keep the Corns in a faunarium, but after 6 months to a year dependng on growth rate I would have to uprade to a viv.
c) Family Considerations - It's my mums house, and she was none to pleased that I said I wanted a snake, happy that I didn't but still not amused that I got a Leo. she was the same with all our pets though, but she comes round in the end. The don't bother with my sister.
d) Food Storage - I would definitely have to invest in a seperate fridge/freezer, as I need cold storage for both a snake and my Leo, although the family accepts they need their food storing just as we do they wouldn't want to venture too close to a tub of worms or frozen mice, lol.
e) Colour - I've asked this woman to ask Sean what the colouration of the parent are and try and predict a colour morph, if they are pink with green spots, I'm no sure I would want them anyway. However a nice Okeetee phase or Blood Red morph, I would be interested.
f)Still need to find someone who has actually kept Gerbils in the same room as Corns.

Apologies if any terminology is inaccurate.

Mick
n/a Posted - 01/09/2009 : 09:49:35
Welcome mick.....I got gerbils but not in the same room as my snakes its not a good idea as long as you careful and keep the door shut where your gerbils are ..your snake and gerbils will have a very happy life....hood luck
Sammysnake Posted - 01/09/2009 : 08:24:06
Have you got your Leos yet? If not, I'd just like to add another vote for a Rankins Dragon. You said
quote:
Bearded Dragons are quite expensive to keep
which is true, but in a Rankins you get the same animal only smaller and they eat WAY less than a Beardie. Also, a 3 foot viv is plenty of space for one or two.

Hope you have fun with whatever you get, Sam
Mick Posted - 31/08/2009 : 09:51:46
Hello and welcome Mini me ;) hehe
Kellog Posted - 30/08/2009 : 23:27:44
Always welcome cos you will keep learning from what you read and when you do finally get what you want you will, not only know more but also be part of a forum that knows you and loves you!!!! Lol!!!! xxx
LittleMick Posted - 30/08/2009 : 21:43:18
Yeah it's a real shame. But I'l be getting my Leopard tomorrow and I can't wait. I was going to buy the 2 that were in the Viv in store, but they were too young to sex, so I didn't want to risk ending up with 2 males, as I said Im pretty limited on space so wouldn't be able to get a second Viv, unless I look at stacking and moving a load of furniture.

Well I'll still keep visiting the forum if you peeps don't mind, as my first experience here was surprisingly good for a forum, I normally avoid them because of all the idiots in them. I might not have much to contribute but it'll be good for if my circumstances change.

Mick
Kellog Posted - 29/08/2009 : 02:54:12
Sorry about not being able to get the snake you want, but think you have made the right decision. You'll still have fun with whatever lizard you get....and in time maybe you will have the space away from gerbils to get that snake! xxx
LittleMick Posted - 28/08/2009 : 22:41:33
I think most people assume that Guineas are rodents but in the scientific world I think the debate istill going on, I think they are trying to confirm when they spilt from a certain family or something like that. I read about it ages and ages ago so I can't remember the specifics.
But I was down the Rep Centre today again, told them my dilemma, and they agree with all of you about them being able to smell the Gerbs, which sucks really, I would have got all the equipment either tomorrow or over the next week. Thanks for the advice on the Fuan Hannah.

So...... for now, I'll be getting 1 or 2 Leopard Geckos. They had sold their last Occellated Skinks yesterday (1st choice) and Bearded Dragons are quite expensive to keep. I can keep the Leopards in a relatively small Viv and they won't eat my Gerbs, lol.

Mick
HannahB Posted - 28/08/2009 : 21:22:48
hey and welcome
i have my little guy in a medium exo terra faun and hes perfectly happy in it..iv got two hides, a small vine and lots of shredded paper - which he loves! im going to put my two new ones in them aswell when iv picked them up next sunday
just put a heatmat under them (iv got my thermostat probe under one of them so it can turn off when too hot ive also got a digital thermometer with a hot and cold probe in each of them with the probes either on top or under the substrate to get the temps..they are really useful and you can just put the display bit against the inside so it all stays within the faun..
mont loves his new faun - he originally was in a 2.5x1 foot viv and he rarely showed his face..now he zips about whenever im around and has discovered the art of burying himself haha!!

plus once my lil guys and gal are too big for their fauns its a good excuse for me to expand my collection! haha

hope this helps you out
n/a Posted - 28/08/2009 : 14:55:47
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Thanks scorpioleah, I really can't think it would make much difference, as they are all rodents, so unless the snake can tell the differnce by the scent/tatse of a large rodent and a small one.
This is beginnning to be a really tough decision now, lol.

technically guinea pigs are not rodents, lol, also some people will sometimes feed a snake a gerbil so they get to know the scent as food. But i really dont know, you might have no problems but you might also have them
Kellog Posted - 28/08/2009 : 03:13:03
Hi Mick. Instead of giving any advice, cos everything that has been said here has been spot on, I will just say welcome to the forum. As you have already seen it is fantastic for advice and if one person doesnt know then someone else will. Its also great just for friendship and fun! xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000