The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 cold side sleeping?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daniel_gilly Posted - 11/01/2013 : 08:46:19
i have gone into the viv to change water and just do a general check and noticing that she has a thing for going to sleep on the cold side and when i come to handle her she cold. im just wondering if its a normal thing for them to go to sleep for quite awhile on the cold end?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AcidicAngel Posted - 19/01/2013 : 01:21:36
quote:
Originally posted by Thorne Walker

yup.. but I'm sure that the mat is getting to about the same temperature in your current setup, it's just better insulated from the thermometer

I know, that's what I was saying. The mat only reaches 38C max.. I thought mats got hotter than this?
Thorne Walker Posted - 18/01/2013 : 23:26:28
yup.. but I'm sure that the mat is getting to about the same temperature in your current setup, it's just better insulated from the thermometer
AcidicAngel Posted - 18/01/2013 : 21:16:20
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel
The mat doesn't even get to 40c... I did actually test that with a digital thermometer to make sure the mat was working when I got it. Left it running over night with a digital thermometer and it got to about 38c and stayed at that. The viv heats to 30c during the day, testing with a digital thermometer so I know it's accurate.

So right there you see the effect the poly is having. If the mat is @ 38c and the viv is getting to 30 then almost 25% of the thermal energy is being dissipated rather then going into your viv.

IMO it's exactly what you want now given that 38c is way to hot for a corn but once you stat that thing you can manage your top temp without having to dump the heat into the poly/room rather then the viv

The 38C is without the poly... That's just the mat plugged in, in a RUB with a Temperature Probes from a Digital Thermometer on it...
Thorne Walker Posted - 18/01/2013 : 20:14:38
quote:
The mat doesn't even get to 40c... I did actually test that with a digital thermometer to make sure the mat was working when I got it. Left it running over night with a digital thermometer and it got to about 38c and stayed at that. The viv heats to 30c during the day, testing with a digital thermometer so I know it's accurate.

So right there you see the effect the poly is having. If the mat is @ 38c and the viv is getting to 30 then almost 25% of the thermal energy is being dissipated rather then going into your viv.

IMO it's exactly what you want now given that 38c is way to hot for a corn but once you stat that thing you can manage your top temp without having to dump the heat into the poly/room rather then the viv
AcidicAngel Posted - 18/01/2013 : 18:15:42
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

Your stat has been sent via TNT and should be with you on Monday

Wow.. I feel all warm and fuzzy.. Good on you Donnie

@AcidicAngel the poly will insulate the mat from the wood, any heat that gets into the viv will have to go through that insulation. I did a little googleing and found that wood will start to char around 100c which should be well hotter then the mat will get.

Once you get Donnie's stat IMO you should lose the poly between the mat + the viv but keep the one under the mat.

Thorne Walker Posted - 18/01/2013 : 18:03:15
quote:

Wow.. I feel all warm and fuzzy.. Good on you Donnie

@AcidicAngel the poly will insulate the mat from the wood, any heat that gets into the viv will have to go through that insulation. I did a little googleing and found that wood will start to char around 100c which should be well hotter then the mat will get.

Once you get Donnie's stat IMO you should lose the poly between the mat + the viv but keep the one under the mat.
Donnie Posted - 18/01/2013 : 14:03:07
Donnie Posted - 17/01/2013 : 22:52:53
quote:

quote:

Yes

Sent.

Replied
AcidicAngel Posted - 17/01/2013 : 22:49:13
quote:

Yes

Sent.
Donnie Posted - 17/01/2013 : 22:36:53
Yes
AcidicAngel Posted - 17/01/2013 : 22:34:54
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
What if it was to fail? You haven't got anything to help protect your snake or your home, if mats fail that are plugged into a stat the stat is designed as such that it should cut power to the mat and avoid it possibly causing a fire (or cooking snakey). Just because it has not happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen especially as a £20/£25 stat will eliminate the risk.

A stat will not protect from all failure modes and you're presuming that there is no smoke detector in AA's home.

If mat's fail in such a way that the stat probe is not being heated then the stat will continue to supply power up to the cut off point. In the case of the Reptitherm unit that I have my mat's connected to it 500w which is more then enough power to cause a fire/damage to my home/harm to my pets.

@AcidicAngel: Why the poly? if the mat does overheat during a failure the poly will quickly become fuel for the fire and could make things much worse.

I was actually told that if I was going to have the heat mat under the viv to have it with polystyrene between the mat and any wood as it would set fire to the wood...? Am I actually making it worse with the poly there? Btw, the mat is only 12 watt and even under the viv it heats the viv up to 28-30C during the day)depend son how cold the rest of the room is) and 25-27C during the night. I am working to get a stat but not all of us can afford it really. £15 a week is not a lot when I have to save up for a new viv to separate the 2 corns I have as I wasn't told to do so by the rep shop near me. Plus I need 2-3 stats. I'm also down in money at the moment as I'm paying my mum for something so yes. I am actually looking for a job but currently no luck. Not everyone can afford to spend £20-£25 on a stat straight away. I can't help that I was never told to keep them on a stat till I got on here, I was watching one on eBay but that went for £30 and it was second hand. The rep shop near me does them at £35 for Ministat 100's which is what I'd need. I may be able to get one from my partners work place as they know me and may do it at Trade + VAT + 10% but even then it'll be more than I can afford currently.

My email address is on my profile, send me an email with your address and I will post you a spare stat I have.

Are you sure?
Donnie Posted - 17/01/2013 : 22:29:45
quote:

quote:

quote:
What if it was to fail? You haven't got anything to help protect your snake or your home, if mats fail that are plugged into a stat the stat is designed as such that it should cut power to the mat and avoid it possibly causing a fire (or cooking snakey). Just because it has not happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen especially as a £20/£25 stat will eliminate the risk.

A stat will not protect from all failure modes and you're presuming that there is no smoke detector in AA's home.

If mat's fail in such a way that the stat probe is not being heated then the stat will continue to supply power up to the cut off point. In the case of the Reptitherm unit that I have my mat's connected to it 500w which is more then enough power to cause a fire/damage to my home/harm to my pets.

@AcidicAngel: Why the poly? if the mat does overheat during a failure the poly will quickly become fuel for the fire and could make things much worse.

I was actually told that if I was going to have the heat mat under the viv to have it with polystyrene between the mat and any wood as it would set fire to the wood...? Am I actually making it worse with the poly there? Btw, the mat is only 12 watt and even under the viv it heats the viv up to 28-30C during the day)depend son how cold the rest of the room is) and 25-27C during the night. I am working to get a stat but not all of us can afford it really. £15 a week is not a lot when I have to save up for a new viv to separate the 2 corns I have as I wasn't told to do so by the rep shop near me. Plus I need 2-3 stats. I'm also down in money at the moment as I'm paying my mum for something so yes. I am actually looking for a job but currently no luck. Not everyone can afford to spend £20-£25 on a stat straight away. I can't help that I was never told to keep them on a stat till I got on here, I was watching one on eBay but that went for £30 and it was second hand. The rep shop near me does them at £35 for Ministat 100's which is what I'd need. I may be able to get one from my partners work place as they know me and may do it at Trade + VAT + 10% but even then it'll be more than I can afford currently.

My email address is on my profile, send me an email with your address and I will post you a spare stat I have.
Donnie Posted - 17/01/2013 : 22:27:16
No i'm very much pro both. You said that I was presuming that AA had no smoke detectors in the house which I assume was in responce to me saying that " You haven't got anything to help protect your snake or your home". I was not talking specifically about home fire protection but was saying that not having a stat on a heat source may put your home at risk due to it failing and catching fire and burning your house down.
AcidicAngel Posted - 17/01/2013 : 22:26:46
quote:

quote:

I was actually told that if I was going to have the heat mat under the viv to have it with polystyrene between the mat and any wood as it would set fire to the wood...? Am I actually making it worse with the poly there? Btw, the mat is only 12 watt and even under the viv it heats the viv up to 28-30C during the day(depends on how cold the rest of the room is) and 25-27C during the night. I am working to get a stat but not all of us can afford it really. £15 a week is not a lot when I have to save up for a new viv to separate the 2 corns I have as I wasn't told to do so by the rep shop near me. Plus I need 2-3 stats. I'm also down in money at the moment as I'm paying my mum for something so yes. I am actually looking for a job but currently no luck. Not everyone can afford to spend £20-£25 on a stat straight away. I can't help that I was never told to keep them on a stat till I got on here, I was watching one on eBay but that went for £30 and it was second hand. The rep shop near me does them at £35 for Ministat 100's which is what I'd need. I may be able to get one from my partners work place as they know me and may do it at Trade + VAT + 10% but even then it'll be more than I can afford currently.
Thorne Walker Posted - 17/01/2013 : 22:07:23
quote:

quote:

Yes I agree that it will not protect from all failures but it will do against some which to me is much better than having no protection at all and you can have all the smoke detectors in the world but you cannot be home 100% of the time to hear them (unless you are some sort of crazy hermit )

So you're anti smoke detector because in some situations it won't help but pro stat because in some situations it will?

I'm confused.
Donnie Posted - 17/01/2013 : 21:29:12
quote:

Yes I agree that it will not protect from all failures but it will do against some which to me is much better than having no protection at all and you can have all the smoke detectors in the world but you cannot be home 100% of the time to hear them (unless you are some sort of crazy hermit )
Thorne Walker Posted - 17/01/2013 : 21:01:10
quote:

Red123 Posted - 17/01/2013 : 20:58:50
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Red123

quote:

Or put the heat mat on the outside of the viv as I always have...

You can only do this with glass terrariums or Plastic tubs though and even then you will still need a thermostat to control it.

Mines currently not on a stat and is under a wooden viv with polystyrene between the viv and heat mat and between the heat mat and wooden stand...

If I am reading this correctly. You have your heat mat underneath your wooden viv not inside the viv. This is totally wrong for a wooden viv. Wood blocks the heat. Having the mat underneath the viv is not benefiting the snake either. This is also potentially a fire hazard. Your heat mat should be inside the wooden viv on the floor with nothing on top of the mat other than a small amount of substrate and a hide along with the stat probe and digital thermometer secured to the top of the mat not on top of the substrate.
Donnie Posted - 17/01/2013 : 19:43:08
quote:

quote:

quote:

You can only do this with glass terrariums or Plastic tubs though and even then you will still need a thermostat to control it.

Mines currently not on a stat and is under a wooden viv with polystyrene between the viv and heat mat and between the heat mat and wooden stand...

AcidicAngel Posted - 17/01/2013 : 19:07:33
quote:

quote:

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000