Urmmm....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  23:15:27  Show Profile
Not sure what to title this haha. I'm putting this in both TCS and TRP to see if I can get a better idea. I'm so so confuzzled by ideas at the moment so I'd like some input as I'm buying viv setup tomorrow getting ready for snakey next week.

I'm massively interested in both Corns and RP's, and I've thoroughly researched both, however the main thing that confuses me is where I've heard corn snakes are probably the best pets all around, there's been quite a few threads here and on the dark side of people struggling to get their corns to feed. Now I dont know if this is just a very small minority but because it's a herp enthusiasts environment, I'm just seeing it more condensed and it is very rare. What bothers me is in 13 months or so I'll be going to University and my Ma will be caring for the snake. Size or bityness doesnt bother her, and she loves both the species, but she's expressed concerns about the prospect of having to brain any prey. I know I mentioned my concerns about it, but I'm quite certain I'd give it a go, on the other hand I would not want to put my Mum through having to do this if she didn't want to.

So I guess the question I'm asking is, out of everyones experience; which snake is most likely to struggle feeding? A yearling established feeder or a hatchling corn?

0.0.1 Anery corn
0.1.0 German Shepherd Dog [Tauni]
1.0.0 Tawny Ocicat [Rufio]

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  23:29:49  Show Profile
My bad, I mean yearling RP established feeding, or a hatchling corn c:

0.0.1 Anery corn
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  23:40:41  Show Profile
Well with Regards to feeding, i think any snake arouund will at one point have trouble feeding.. its not necessarily a problem. Just people post when there corn didnt eat the night it usually does.. not really actual important problems or anything

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  23:41:17  Show Profile
Ive had Noodle about 7months not and not yet have i had any problems.. tho he may just be greedy lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  23:55:56  Show Profile
Did you have him from an eety beety baby?

0.0.1 Anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  00:12:13  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
I've heard that Royals are a lot more likely to be troublesome eaters then corns
(Eating only live prey; and sometimes not eating at all)
I was speaking to a guy with 2 royals the other day actually, who said one of them never accepts dead prey, and will only touch live :/

I've had my corn since he was around 6 months, and I've never had a problem at all :)
Most of the threads that pop up are one off one-week-non-feeds, and are rarely anything to worry about.

Corns tend to be the most basic, friendly and easiest around.. But of course there will always be exceptions :P

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  00:17:18  Show Profile
Thanks Spedz. I was pretty much convinced up until I started seeing these other threads and it just threw all my research credibility out the window!

0.0.1 Anery corn
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  01:29:16  Show Profile
Yes ive had him since he was like a month old.. NEVER had any problems whatsoever with him. And yes ive heard that other types will only eat live and can be alot more fussy eaters. Corns are simple :) and just as fun to have

Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  10:42:14  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
I've had my corn since it was very young (was the size of pencil when I bought him) and I've never had a problem with feeding him.

I bought him during my second year at uni - I definitely wouldn't have a pet in halls (they aren't allowed anyway - or at least they weren't in ours) but he did Ok in the student houses. The only bit he didn't like was the car journey to Liverpool.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  17:31:13  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
also i think the reason uve seen alot of posts about not eating lately is they have been more intrested in others things with the oppsite sex

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  17:41:25  Show Profile
i got my first corn snake last year and have niver had a problem with him feeding
i have had him since he was a wee tiny worm lol!
i would say go for a corn!
mind you im not as experinced as some people on here!
jst do wat u think is right

0.0.1 Snow Corn(Jeffrey)
0.1.0 Motley Stripe(Jorgia)
0.1.0 Motley (Storm)
0.2.0 Cats (Lola & Lilli)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

225 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  17:47:47  Show Profile
see this thread hehehe http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3120

0.0.1 Anery corn
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  17:49:58  Show Profile
ohhh my bad :L
hows he settling in :P

0.0.1 Snow Corn(Jeffrey)
0.1.0 Motley Stripe(Jorgia)