New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  14:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
How bad can the staining from moss be on eggs?

Our eggs have gone a nasty colour so we are a bit worried, but they still seem plump and we candled a few and there's veins so I don't think they are slugs. All the pictures we find in books and on the net are of lovely, white eggs though and ours are beigey with brown and yellow speckles. One book said that moss would stain the eggs, but we didn't expect it to have this much effect on colouration. Help!

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  15:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
I seem to recall reading a similar entry in one of my books. I have no personal experience but from what I can remember - staining is quite common when using moss as an incubator medium and is nothing to worry about.

Most people do seem to use vermiculite, possibly for this very reason?

I sincerely hope your eggs are gooduns and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  16:23:55  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Well they are on a bed of verm, with moss on top, so we are pretty sure it's the moss. The two we picked up to candle were whiter on the underside than the top so that at least supports the staining theory. Just didn't expect it to stain quite so much. They look awful.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2009 :  21:08:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yeah it's the tannins in the moss, as long as their shape and structure look fine i wouldn't worry hun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

93 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  21:19:46  Show Profile
sounds normal to me hun ive always used moss but have a clutch on verm this year to see what happens

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  12:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Well some are looking alright, about 4-5 look quite shocking so we've separated them into another tub. We think they might be infertile, but daren't actually chuck them away just in case our inexperienced eyes kill a potential snakey. At least in the other tub they can either rot or survive without risking the others.

Found a bit of mold too, so treated with a light dusting of athletes foot powder and a soft brush. There's still about 5 that look really good, 10 that look alright-ish and the 5 dodgy ones. It'll be a nice surprise if we get more than 5 or 6

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

93 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  21:09:10  Show Profile
i guess time will tell on these have you any pictures of them ?

Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000