New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  23:59:34  Show Profile
Just went in to see if snaky`s are ok before going to bed and saw tynan out and about. Thought i would sit there for a while and watch, then i noticed he had pooped so i went to get the scoop to clean it up and when i went back in he was in his cardboard hide. Then i saw the hide going up in the air which seemed strange. I picked up the hide and saw that tynan was stuck to the box. I didnt realise that the box was glued inside and the heat must have melted the glue. i had to get a knife and cut him free from the glue but a bit of his skin was stuck. Didnt know what to do so i put him in the bath hoping it would get rid of any glue still on him. Did i do the right thing.Sorry this is so long but totally freaked me out.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  00:10:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
probably, don't panic hope you didn't get him with the knife though! i might have given snake and box a warm bath to separate each other but if there's no harm done

and i don't think you'll do it again

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  14:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
A good way to help ease stickiness off a snake (also works with duct tape etc) is a cotton bud and olive oil.

Keep dipping the cotton bud in olive oil and gently rubbing the edge of whatever is stuck, and it'll eventually come off without damaging the snake.
It can be tricky doing it, as not many snakes like being held still, but it is effective.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  14:58:43  Show Profile
Ok got up this morning and Tynan has shed. First full shed since i have had him. Looks to be ok. To tell the truth i didnt think i had time for the bath or the cotton buds. He was really trying to rip himself off and thought i had to be quick. Maybe i did the wrong thing but i was careful with the knife and cut the glue as he was trying to pull himself of. Just thought by the time i run the bath and got the right temp it might be too late. After i gave him a bath he didnt seem to want me to let go off him, just curled up on my hands.The box has gone now but there was no way that you would have known it had glue in it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000