Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  13:24:26  Show Profile
We thought this might happen - Bella has lost the end of her tail

When we got her we realised that she had some unshed skin, at least two sheds' worth, still on the end of her tail. We managed to soak it off (despite Bella's protestations: she HATES bath time!) but when she shed again it happened again. Once more we got it off, but she shed - somewhat unexpectedly, neither of us noticed her going blue - this weekend and the end of her tail has come off in her shed

I've bought some antiseptic stuff from the local reptile place to put on her stump (waaaah!) but it doesn't appear to be bleeding or anything. Apart from the antiseptic and keeping it clean is there anything else we should be doing?

Poor stumpy Bella. I feel so bad but... I suspect we couldn't really have done anything more. *sniffle*

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  14:56:12  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that :(

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  15:01:37  Show Profile
Poor Bella- but don't beat yourself up about it too much. It won't affect her quality of life at all and as long as the stump is kept clean she should heal fine. You sound like you are doing everything right and giving it the best chance to heal.

Just ensure that her viv and water are kept meticulously clean to minimise the risk of infection, and check it's progress as often as possible. Any new discharge, or inflammation/swelling should be closely observed and she should be taken to the vet if need be.

Considering it was stuck with old skin when you got her, then it wasn't really your fault, but in future (if you don't already!) keep a record of her shed's etc. to keep an eye on when she is due to shed and prevent it happening in the future. Also, a nice warm bath, not matter how much she hates it around the time she is due to shed will help keep the skin soft and make it easier to get out of.

Some piccies would be good also so we can se what has happened!!!

From Rachael xxxx

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  15:44:55  Show Profile
Don't beat yourself up too much, one of mine lost the tip of her tail just days after we got her pretty much the same story. I would suggest keeping her on paper or kitchen roll for a while if your not already doing so, aspen or bark chips aren't really a good idea till it's all healed.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  16:02:14  Show Profile
OK, I'll get her onto the kitchen paper tonight and give her viv a good scrub. Will try and take some picture too - it's only about half a cm of tail but she looks all wrong :(

She can't be feeling too poorly though because she gobbled down a couple of pinkies last night no problem!

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  16:10:22  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
one of my corns lost about 3mm of her tail tip over a year ago and now you cant even tell it happend

Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  21:04:38  Show Profile
OK, we've done all the cleaning (the little madam immediately went to the toilet on her new kitchen paper and washed her bum in her clean water bowl...*sigh*). Here are the pictures:

(That's the chap's finger for scale)

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  22:37:17  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
doesnt look too bad
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  10:16:45  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address
Doesn't look bad! I'm sure it will heal fine! And you'll get used to it!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  13:11:42  Show Profile
Agreed it won't seem so bad in a view weeks.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2009 :  21:05:47  Show Profile
Bit of a late reply, but she still looks pretty, and the main thing is she seems happy!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000