Provent-a-mite / ARDAP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  00:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't directly related to corns, but I keep many different animals, and my Fire Bellied Toads tank has acquired an infestation of mites. I have used ARDAP before for my royal pythons, but none of their enclosures have live plants in. My FBT's tank is covered in plants and soil though!
Has anyone used either ARDAP or Provent-a-mite in a tank with live plants? I don't see why a pesticide should affect a plant, but better safe then sorry!
The toads themselves have no mites, just the tank needs treating!
Cheers,
Josh

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  11:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really wouldn't advise using any chemicals at all where amphibians are concerned. They soak things in through their skin, which is why they are more susceptible to poisoning than other creatures.

If it was me I would just removed the plants for a while and keep them on a windowsill for a few weeks, spraying regularly with water, until you are sure the mites have gone.

The tank I would sterilize in boiling water, before putting the toads back in a completely sterile set up (really basic, easy to clean, minimum decor) for a few weeks too. Repeating this process every 3-4 days would ensure that the mites would be destroyed.

I think that's better than taking any risks, even if it is a bit of a struggle. If you want another opinion on this then you could post the question on www.theamphibian.co.uk/foum to see what other people may suggest.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000