Woo Hoo, 1st full shed :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  12:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i've had Eugene since Nov 09 an he's about 18 months old now. He's had 8/9 sheds with me since then, and he's only ever managed about half his body by himself.

He had a few feeding problems recently and lost a bit of weight, and since then he's had 2 sheds. His first was (as usual) broken halfway down his body. However on tuesday i noticed he was in blue, so the water dish went in, and the viv was sprayed twice a day, and Hallelua!!!!!!!!! I woke up this morning to a full shed

I'm sure i've read on here somewhere that you either add or subtract an inch from the shed skin to get a good measurement of him.

Its been a little while since i got some pics of him on here, so will try and sort something out of the next few days.

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  12:58:58  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You subtract, 10% of the length of the shed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  13:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Danny
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  13:11:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could also try giving him a damp hide, it may benefit more than the misting.

Plus it dosn't increase the humidity of the whole tank. Is he in a viv or a faun? If he's in a faun it may well be more beneficial.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  13:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's in a viv. I tried a damp hide the 1st 2 or 3 times with no luck. I'd take out his normal hides and put in a sort of lunchbox container with damp moss in, but never worked. Just really glad he's done a full shed this time.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  18:08:02  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's really great news that he's managed a complete shed!! Long may it continue......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  04:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so pleased to hear that Carl. I have had a bad shed from Silvesta only once, and hated it....so would really stress if it happened regularly like it has been with Eugene. But I can just imagine your relief (and surprise) when you found that full clean shed !

I usually only mist with mine and it was never a problem, then after this last bad shed I added the extra water bowl and it certainly did the trick. Had a beautiful full clean shed from Silvesta yesterday (it was was a healing shed, only 5 weeks since the bad shed as he had ripped a new scale on his head as the shed was so bad).

I bet you will be keeping this shed ! Danny is right about you subtracting 10% of the shed skins length to work out the length of the snake, but it is very approximate as the skin stretches and you cant be accurate as to how much. Some people use this to measure their snakes....it is called the Snake Measurer - http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html

How is Eugene feeding now?

Cant wait to see pics of him and see how much he has grown .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  09:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucy you shaka!! I have yet to have a full shed from my corns, hope mine will do the same as yours soon!

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  10:09:24  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congrats..!
You must be very happy!
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  10:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one, the full ones I seem to receive, if theyr'e not all bitty generally have a little present hiding in there just for me. on the rare occurance I get a whole shed..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  19:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, i'll definately be keeping this one. I even let my daughter take it into school to show all her friends (coolest girl in school that day she was). lol

He's feeding absolutely fine as well now, i've actually started feeding him on more regular occasions as well. Used to feed him 2 fuzzies every 7 days, but he's back on "the hunt" within 48 hours after his digesting period, so now feeding him 2 fuzzies every 5 days now.

He's actually just had a feed about 10 mins ago. I've got the weekend to myself this week with the mrs at work all weekend, so i'll leave it till sunday afternoon and get some fresh pics of him and get them on here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000