Temp reading clashes from different devices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:34:19  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've been running a few tests on my heating equipment and thermometrs as I thought something was amiss.
In Elijahs faun I have a Habistat Mat Stat, along with an Exo Terra digital thermometer. The stat was set to 29c, when I look at the temp readings from the therm it is always a few degrees higher, so I didn't know which one to trust, that's when I started using a liquid themometer as a back up, and it turns out the stat is right and the digi therm is wrong. I though it might have been the stat as the dial doesn't go ALL the way upto 34c as it is suposed to. But as Corns don't need that much heat I never really worried about. But now I am just too damn curious about it, lol. Below is a listing of what some of my readings were at different times of the evening on differnt days.

Stat Dial = 30c ET Digi = 37.2c Liquid Merc Therm = 30.5c
Stat Dial = 28c ET Digi = 34.7c Liquid Merc Therm = 29c

These readings were taken from the same stat and digi, but with an extra digi in there plus a liquid.

Stat Dial = 30c ET Digi = 33.6c ET Digi 2 = 32.6c Liquid Merc Therm = 30c

So one digi is about by about 2c (for the most part) and the other one is out by 3c (for the most par). And the Liquid is spot on. Now, I'm not worried so much about it as the heat is at a comfy level, I was just wondering if anyone else encounters this sort of thing?

I know with my next animal buy I will be getting one of those ETi digital aquarium thermometers to see how that fairs. Along with a Microclimate stat instead of the Habistat and komodo Stat that I have now.
Thoughts and opinions on these would be much appreciated.

Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mat heats using infrared, the mat stat should be on or under the heat mat and the probe should be in the faun.
The temp inside the faun is the one you should be concerned with, if there is a gap between the heat mat and faun base, as there should be, the base will heat up this is where the snake will get its heat from.

Edited by - Stumpy on 05/01/2010 23:04:13
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:13:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
basically ignore what the dial on the stat says.............i really wouldn't take that into consideration at all hun

what IS slightly worrying is the difference in the two different types of thermometer!!
are they both reading exactly the same place? and are they both there all the time? (as one might take longer to settle on an accurate reading?)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 05/01/2010 23:14:53
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:15:33  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to start are al reeadings being taken from the same place, is one probe closer to the mat than another etc as these things wll give differant reading, bear in mind a on off stat the mat is fully on or fully off and if the mat stat probe is ontop of substrate until the probe heats up to the right temp the mat will be on and possible hotter than needed

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  00:30:18  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies.

Right, the current setup is the large flat exo terra faun. It has a thin layer of Aspen bedding near the hides but about 1/2" every where else. The mat is under the faun with an air gap, the mat stat probe is IN the fuan right next to the warm hide on TOP of the thin layer of substrate, and I do mean thin, practically non existent, lol. The Exo Terra Digi sensor is right next to that, I tried the second Exo Terra sensor again right next to the other 2 so everything is reading from the same spot. The liquid mercury one I laid down next to these, and they have been like that all through the evening, on differnt days.

This is why I think that the Exo digis are not 100% accurate, and why I use a liquid one just to be safe. Now my stat dial AND my liquid therm read the same, which leads me to believe the digis are out, especially since they both have different readings. That's why I want to try one of the ETi ones as these were designed for aquariums, so may be more accurate. I'll be doing even more testing over the weekend with both my habi and my Komodo.

The Komodo is my Leopard Geckos stat.

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  07:21:06  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
easiest way to check them in in a pan of water put probe in with your liquid one then slowly rise temp bit by bit and see what happens

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  13:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havens something similar happening with mine now.

Ive put towels around the base of my tank to heat it up as ive had ongoing temperature issues. Now ive done that, according to the digital thermometer that is under the substrate touching the base of the tank the temperature is 29.1! Absolutely ideal.

Although the mercury filled thermometer I put in has been there for two days... and is currently reading 37! Definetely not ideal. The temperature in the digi is still rising at the moment.

But this has thrown a spanner in the works, i finally have the temperature looking right, and the mercury filled thermometer is 7*C higher!

Any ideas? the snake has been in the cold end of the tank for about 12 hours now digesting his meal.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  17:58:48  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never did rate exo terra stuff much so my money is on that being wrong.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  23:36:27  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

I never did rate exo terra stuff much so my money is on that being wrong.

Yeah I would agree with that EEji, when I purchase stff for animals I normally settle on particular brands, and with Herps it was ET, I mean, I do like their hides, food and water bowls, plants etc, but their digis seem naf.
I'll be getting one of those ETi ones when I next do herp supply purchase and see how that fairs.

I'll be doing more extensive testing of my current equipment this weekend as I have more time to do it. That will include my Leo gear as well.

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  00:17:37  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Makes you want to triple check everything, I never noticed until I owned snakes the different and often false readings thermometers give.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  04:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slightly off topic, so sorry LittleMick!!

Lucifer - welcome back , long time no see....your absence has been noted and you have been missed!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  14:20:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Now my stat dial AND my liquid therm read the same, which leads me to believe the digis are out

seriously IGNORE the dial on the stat, there are so many variables it's just COINCIDENCE that they match up at the moment..........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  05:30:51  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucifer

Makes you want to triple check everything, I never noticed until I owned snakes the different and often false readings thermometers give.

Hey Lucifer, welcome back. I know what you mean about triple checking everything, lol. Although I'm not as paranoid as when I first get my animals.

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Slightly off topic, so sorry LittleMick!!

Lucifer - welcome back ,long time no see....your absence has been noted and you have been missed!

xxx

No worries

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

seriously IGNORE the dial on the stat, there are so many variables it's just COINCIDENCE that they match up at the moment..........

Yeah I see what you mean about those readings GP, I have been testing through out the day. The latest readins are

STAT = 29c DIGI = 34c LIQUID =33c

So I've turned the stat down a few degrees and I'll keep monitoring it for a while, then I will be testing the Geckos viv as well and see how the Komodo stat is faring. Pretty annoying really seengs I tested both sets of equipment for a few weeks before letting the animals move in. Cheers for the info though. I started testing again due to Elijah staying for th emost part in his cool hide. He does go in the warm end when he wants a wander, so I should have picked up on this much sooner.

Edited by - LittleMick on 10/01/2010 05:33:45
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  21:58:48  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Right after all the replies and advice through this thread I have been monitoring the temps again, checking mins and maxes and it all seems fine now, So thanks GP and everyone else who contributed
Although still paranoid I have decided to ignore the stat and go by the digi thermometer.
I always looked at the thermometer anyway, but I watched a vid on snake behaviour and how you can tell about the temperature by where the snake spends most of the time. Elijah spent most of his time in his cool hide. That's when I opsted the start of the thread and since the changes i have made he is now spending a roughly even amount in both hides, yayyyyyy.

Current temps are now a nice 30c ish, maxed at 31.8c, so I think I am happy with that

STATS - So, with all that out the way, has anyone any preferences or noticed any large differences between the different stats, currently I have a Habistat and a Komodo Stat and they both seem out by lots. The next one I get will be a microclimate so I'll see how that holds up

Again, thanks everyone.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  21:58:17  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Really weird, or at least it is to me. After all the testing I did on all my stats, thermometers both digital, analogues and liquid, I have now found I have to up the stat dial to get the correct reading, lol.
As I prefer the habistat mat stat I took that out of Elijah's faun and replaced it with the micro climate one. Setup up his new home and testing the heat mat out. On the faun I had to lower the stat to 24c to get a nice 29c inside. But on the bigger mat in the viv I have to actually put the stat dial to 29c, spot on!!!

I'm presuming all the surfaces involved have something to do with it all. Poly under the faun directing the heat up as opposed to just wood in the viv.

Edited by - LittleMick on 15/07/2010 21:59:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000