5 years experiance
2 cornsnakes - still own
1 rainbow boa- has been sold
Go to Top of Page

Ayersy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  13:11:34  Show Profile  Click to see Ayersy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Egon has just started his first shed with me. He's been rubbing himself around the faun for a little while, loosening the skin off his head and jaw. I assume the rest of the skin comes off after the jaw/head part, if you get what I mean? He's still got skin on his body, and some of it is loose.

Should I use the damp towel technique, or just leave him to it?
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  21:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question I bought my baby corn snake well it's about 40cm long female how old will you say it is ? And it had retained shed on it's tip of it's tail it's obviously been there a very long time and won't come off with the kitchen towel or bath in warm water method and just today a bit of it's tail just fell off only a very small amount though and it seems as if it caant feel the bit of tail with remaining shed so what I'm asking is will it all come off in her next shed or will it eventually just drop off and her tail becomes slightly stumpy ?

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  17:20:50  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jackdaniels007 - I love the bright colours of Aries, what morph please? I'm preping to get a corn and love the bright colours, got a long list of morphs I like

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  15:52:05  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Being someone who's preparing and researching for her new corn I really have to say that all this info is just fantastic, brilliant.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

fone
Snake Mite

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2011 :  16:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi. I recently got my 2 year old corn from his previous owner, he still has a few sheds on the tip of his tail and its pretty thick. I've tried warm water and rubbing oil but its still there. he is in blue atm. should I try this again when he does shed, or is it past the point of being able to get it off?
thanks
:)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can I ask you guys a question? My friend bought his cornsnake 7 weeks ago... its 8/9 months old. It hasnt shed in the 7 weeks that he has had him. Hes not really eating either. Im gonna link him the info on feeding etc but was wonderin if yu guys could possibly advise me on the shedding?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  17:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

can I ask you guys a question? My friend bought his cornsnake 7 weeks ago... its 8/9 months old. It hasnt shed in the 7 weeks that he has had him. Hes not really eating either. Im gonna link him the info on feeding etc but was wonderin if yu guys could possibly advise me on the shedding?

corns shed as they grow so if its not eating much in wont grow much so will have no need to shed. The main issue with your mates corn is the not eating much.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  18:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok thanks. I gave him the info etc about eating problems. Thanks g xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

mightymeated
Egg

53 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  18:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all im so glad i found this post. i have only had my corn (jaunty) for about a month but i have just noticed that he wasnt right in him self. eyes wrong colour darker morph and acting strange. so this has totally made me feel better knowing that its just because he's going to shed. thank you to all. :)

life love and liberty for all :0)
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  21:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a question - dunno if anyone's ever had this before.

Saphira, my adult female corn, just had her first shed after laying her first ever clutch of eggs. On the skin, there seem to be some traces of blood on the inside of the sloughed skin (on the ventral scales but not near the cloaca). I've given her a thorough check to make sure she isn't hurt anywhere and couldn't find any trace of a wound. Does anyone have any clue what this is and should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

~Iso

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

panda1987
Snake Mite

34 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  22:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have a corn snake (think he's an amel) and it started to shed but has only done about a third of its body, tried bathing him like mentioned above but apparently he doesn't like water and tried rubbing him through some damp kitchen towel still with no luck wondered if you knew of any other things i could try to get the rest of the skin off
Go to Top of Page

tahleeuk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  10:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a great post yesterday when my son handled dave he thinks there may be retained shed on the tail. after reading through this thread im gonna get the cotton wool out and see if i can remove the retained tail gently. confident that the advice i have been given is correct and that i can perform the correct actions. keep up the good work guys this forum has provided me with so much knowledge and help
Lisa x

Go to Top of Page

kickingkay
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  18:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya every one i was handling my corn snake chilli earlier and noticed a flake of skin lifted on his belly so i put him back in his viv i came back ten mins later and noticed he had doen a full shed it was so exiting and didnt no that it happend so fast he is now so colour full ive checked him over and he is all clear

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l530/kickingkay88/rockystormshadown1.jpg
staffy (rocky)
Staffy (shadow)
staffy cross (storm)
corn snake amel (chilli)
Go to Top of Page

tomp33
Egg

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  14:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grrr, everytime my Snow corn goes into shed he starts to hide away... he is definitely NOT more active. Lol,

1 Corn Snake- Snape
:)
Go to Top of Page

leonaratinon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  02:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, i recently got a 2 month old corn snake for my birthday, and she was fine with handling when i got her, then last week i fed her, left her for two days to digest, and then went to pick her up and she struck at me, and now ever since she has been really aggressive, i'll googled it, and they suggested i put something in the viv that smells of me so i did, and she is still being aggressive she's bit me at least 6 times and twice has latched on to my fingers! it's making me more and more nervous to hold her each time as im only 16, but she wont even let me walk past her viv without striking at the cage walls, is this normal behaivour because im confused and none of my friends have had this experience xxx
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  16:41:31  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your corn. It is natural for baby snakes to be a bit aggressive. It is their only defense against a great big animal that may eat them. It may be that she just needs some more time to settle down.

I have a few throughts on things you can try. Did you leave the snake alone for a week when you first got it to allow it to settle in? It is recommended although alot of petshops don't think to tell people. A weeks settling in period allows the snake to get used to the new smells and noises. If you didn't, it might be worthwhile doing it now. Just do daily water changes and run some substrate through your hands to transfer your smell. Don't try to pick her up and just ignore her if she gets stroppy as any sudden movements will make her worse.
Where is her viv situated? Try and have her in a quiet area where she isn't subjected to people walking past her viv all the time.
What size viv is she in? A too large enclosure will make her feel vulnerable so she will be more likely to strike out.

It might be worthwhile starting a new thread and asking again as alot of people wont look on this one. When you do it try to answer all the questions on this thread http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13662 as it will help people to give you accurate advise

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  09:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how long does it usually take them to shed once their into it?

i noticed when i came back early this morning that she was rubbing and very active with bits of skin round her neck hanging off. the skin on her body is quite slack but i don't want to touch her coz she seems stressed. i don't have any rocks for her to rub on but i have put a rubber grooming glove in and a hide with wet kitchen roll in strips one end of it (not that easy to get moss this time of year locally unless i go out hunting in the wild :-p)and placed that on the end with the heat mat to see if the humidity might help her. have i done enough? i don't want to annoy her but the last thing i want is her to have any unnecessary problems...

is that all i can do or just wait and stop worrying???

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Loopholes
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  23:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woohooo just noticed that My Karma's eyes have gone cloudy and she is looking slightly darker on her underbelly so looks like shes going to shed soon I cant wait :D
Go to Top of Page

emilyoblong
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  15:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake is about 4 years old and 5foot long. He went into blue phase last friday, came out on Monday and still has not shed. His skin looks very dull still, but the strange thing is, he's gone back into blue phase today (sunday)!! Is it abnormal for a snake to go in and out of blue phase like that?? :S

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000