Very Nervous New Snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  15:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there, I'm new to the forum, so hello, and have just got a query about one of my new snakes. I purchased 2 cornsnakes last tuesday, not quite hatchlings, but only about a foot long, so not very old. They have both eaten since I got them, and one of them, the female, seems quite friendly and is happy being handled now.

The male however, seems less happy. He is very active in the viv (I know I'll get comments about them not being big enough for a viv, but its a 2 foot viv which I've divided in 2, so they only have about 1ft square each), he explores his area, climbs on his fake plant, uses both hides and burrows in the aspen, but as soon as I go near him he gets very nervous, in a strike pose, rattling his little tail, and if I do touch him him moves faster than I thought possible to get away!

I am hoping he just needs more time to settle in, but is there anything I can do to calm him down? I would love to be able to handle both of them, and for them to enjoy being handled.

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  15:21:54  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't worry its still early days, it took a month for my snake to not be petrified of me. Young snakes are always more nervous and aggressive anyway. Absolutely nothing to worry about, you'll notice a difference in no time at all.

I find the best way to grab them when they're like that is not to hang around. Go up to the viv, open the door and just grab him. If he bites you then so be it, it doesn't hurt. It's prob best to let him anyway, after a while he'll realise it's not gonna get him put down so he'll just put up with being handled.

As for snakes enjoying being handled; generally though don't enjoy it, they just tolerate it. Sad but true! Although mine seems to quite enjoy the warmth from my hand so I just pretend she's being affectionate when she sleeps on me!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  15:55:37  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
try putting a sock or something of urs near the viv so they get used to ur smell, this was suggested to me when i first got syd and worked a treat :)

Go to Top of Page

Inkygirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
256 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  16:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sure he will settle soon with some time, when he does it will be worth it :)

1 Bearded Dragon, Gino
1 Terrapin, Tulip
1 Iguana, Edward
3 Corns Cora, Travis,Leon
and Angus
1 Normal Royal Python, Lexi
1 Boa Constrictor, Zara
1 Granite Burmese Python Bernie

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  18:10:49  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Give him time and he will settle down. He will slow up as he gets older and more used to you too. It takes them all different amounts of time to settle, there's no set age or length of time.
The tip about the sock often helps. You just tuck an old sock in your top for the day then pop it in the snakes favourite hide. It will smell of you and hopefully your snake will learn that your smell is linked with a secure place to be.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  18:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reassurance people, its good to know I havent just got an antisocial snake. I know that technically they don't "enjoy" being handled, but its nice when they feel secure and arent trying to get away.

I will certainly try the sock idea, and I have read that not feeding will help them settle in, is this true? I certainly don't want to make him more anxious by making him hungry.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  18:32:52  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They can go a long time without a feed but I would be feeding every 5-7 days for a young snake once they've done the week long settling in period. Don't forget to leave them alone after feeding for 48 hours to digest their meal....you don't want a regurge!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  03:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The advice you have been given so far is great Ben. It is very early days and you have only had both snakes for just over a week. Did you leave them to settle in when you first got them? I see that you mention that they have already fed....which is good as it shows they are not too stressed....but I would GUESS it means you havent given them that time to get used to their new surroundings, and it sounds as though the male may need that.

We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snakes to get over the stress of the move and for them to get used to the new smells and their new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so they can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about them not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snakes to de-stress and feel safe with you. If you have done this, then apologies ....but if not then it may be an idea to start from the beginning with the male. Give him the week to settle in, then feed him, leave him for the 48hrs to allow him to digest his meal and then slowly start handling him.

This thread on Handling Advice is probably worth a read.

The one thing I would be wary of is what drchino has said:

quote:
Originally posted by drchino

........I find the best way to grab them when they're like that is not to hang around. Go up to the viv, open the door and just grab him. If he bites you then so be it, it doesn't hurt. It's prob best to let him anyway, after a while he'll realise it's not gonna get him put down so he'll just put up with being handled........

You already have a nervous snake and to go in and 'just grab him' is going to scare him even more. It really is a case of being calm and patient. When it comes to getting him out open the viv door and play with the substrate, just to let him know you are there and are not a threat (and it also gets some of his smell on you). Then go to pick him up. Just ignore the strike pose and rattling....and in the case of him whizzing away then is the time you may have to grab him, but it needs to be done in such a way as to scare him as little as possible.

It really is a case of quality not quantity at this point and he will slowly get used to the fact that you are not a threat....I think that as long as you remain confident with him, treat him gently and calmly, then you will see a change in his behaviour and you will be able to handle him just the way you are handling the female.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

dannyhayman
Hatchling

136 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  15:55:15  Show Profile  Click to see dannyhayman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mine does this too.its so sad :')
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  19:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drchino

I find the best way to grab them when they're like that is not to hang around. Go up to the viv, open the door and just grab him. If he bites you then so be it, it doesn't hurt. It's prob best to let him anyway, after a while he'll realise it's not gonna get him put down so he'll just put up with being handled.

I REALLY dont agree with this approach, to just grab a hatchie will terrify it. I would do the absolute opposite, Dont even attempt to pick it upif it shows fear, let the snake get used to you, use the same soap when washing your hands so you always smell the same, he will soon associate you and your smell as not a threat, when first going into the enclosure let the snake smell you, but keep your hand still and almost flat to the enclosure floor, snakes are curious little beasts and will soon be dying to come see what this thing is thats in his enclosure. Sudden movements & looming over them is a sure fire way to scare them and have them running away or getting you bitten.
Over all you need to respect the snakes space, see things from its point of view and think how long it would take you to be comfortable been picked up by a HUGE animal. Show patience, if it takes 6 months to have the snake calm down then so be it, surely its still worth it when you consider the next 20+ years your going to have with your snake.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

82 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you'll be one lucky man to get it to live over 15 years...
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just going off the commonly quoted lifespan of a capitive corn snake and as it isn't the backbone of the discussion I didn't feel the need to research lifespan in any detail and just concentrated on the topic in hand.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2010 :  13:02:19  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
just read the thread
my hatchling is like lighting at the mo, so will just leave a sock by the viv so she can get used to the scent
always use the same soap washing my hands anyway to change her water, so thats at lease one thing im doing right lol
thanks for the guidence

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2010 :  13:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Matilda was like that. She still is a bit off and unpredictable but I've not had her long but she is improving. I sit with my hand in her faun when ive got 5spare minutes in a day, I dont attempt to pick her up I just sit there with my hand in there gently straightening the substrate and coming away. I can now pick her up but only when she is in her hide if she is already out and active I stand next to no chance as she is too busy trying to escape and the polava only makes her more nervous. But if she is sleeping in one of her hides I can go in swiftly pick her up and she is just fine. I honestly thought she would never tame down as she was a biter but she is doing really really well with persistence now. Still not as friendly as my other snake but being a woman she has license to be a little bit more grumpy :P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000