Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 relocated corn snake issues... help please!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  13:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi...

Having always wanted a corn snake and looked after my aunties full grown (4' ish) corn for a couple of weeks over summer I decided it was time to take the plunge.

A local reputable breeder had a number of corns available and after handing many and chatting to the guy about a few of them I decided to go with one of the adults, used to families, v friendly and inquisative etc.

He's aprox 3 yrs old, rehomed due to previous owner going to uni and parents would not keep the snake. He's aprox 4.5' long and was v friendly and interested in me at the breeders. apart from the first week that he was there he was eating every week, thawed froxen fuzzies.

Got him home to similar viv tot he one he was in at the breeders, same hide, substrate similar plants bowl etc. Since I got him home (last friday 26/11/2010) he has been rather different...

he doesnt really ever leave his 'cool hide'. I offered food on sunday (saturday has been his normal feed day). but he didnt take it, I put it down to the move. have offered him food again today but he didnt take it. (both cases thawed frozen fuzzies, both 'brained' as thats what my aunties has.)

He is fairly inactive and not interested in much really. just wants to hide up.

I'm kind of putting it down to the move, but its been neerly a week now and thought I'd ask for your thoughts!!! I'm happy to just leave him for a while longer if thats whats going to be best for him but not really sure...

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  14:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally it's accepted that corns need a week of being left to their own devices to get used to their new surroundings, and take in the sights and sounds of their new home.. So yes - it is most likely down to the move Just be patient with him, and just change his water bowl, but leave contact limited to that for a few days. He'll return to his normal bubbly self in no time!

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  14:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At 3 years old and 4.5 feet he should be on much bigger prey items than fuzzies. Have you got a picture of him?

Next thing is to make sure your heat source is regulated by a thermostat and monitored by a digital thermometer. If the hot end gets tooooo hot, it will cause your snake to spend all its time in the cold side- and that makes them lethargic.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  18:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your quick replies. I have a pic but its not the best... Ill put a link on tomorrow.

I have a heat pad over about a third of the tank on the warm side. I have both a thermostat (microclimate ministat100) and a digital thermometer to regulate the temperature. The sensors are on the pad under a thin layer of substrate and the temp hovers around 30 c however the stat is not v acurate so varies by ± about 5 deg c.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  19:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the stat isn't accurate then just set it according to your digi thermometer. Stats have a reputation for this. If the temp is around 30 but then fluctuates I would say he is too hot. Drop the temps to around 28 according to your thermometer and see what effect that has. You might need to fiddle around for a while to get the desired temps.

Also, make sure the sensors are flat on the substrate not upright, as this can also effect the temperature reading and output.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  20:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I have tweeked the temperature. Yeah I have been going by the thermometer rather than the stat. As per another post here I have left the mouse in the hide and covered the front of the viv. Will leave for 12 hours to see if he takes it of his own accord.

Generally thanks for the advise it sets my mind at rest that its ok to just leave him to settle in for a few more days.
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  10:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought but could he be going into shed? I can tell when my sunglow goes into shed easily but my carolina I completely missed the signs last time I had picked up that she was very unusually inactive but she looked normal but then I came into see a shed a few days later in the faun..., I had no idea she was in "blue". Would maybe explain the not moving much and not feeding??

(edited to say of course it is just an idea not a very well educated answer so could be way off the mark... just offering my thoughts)

Edited by - dizzie85 on 02/12/2010 10:34:16
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  11:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, dizzie I did wonder about shedding and am keeping an eye on that, still has clear eyes etc at the mo tho!

the viv warm end is now between 26-32 deg C - not hugely impressed with the accuracy of the stat but looking around, they dont seem to be many other betyter options!?!

heres the best pic I have of him atm:

this was before the viv was finished, it now looks liek this

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  11:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liking the set up and LOVE the snake!! I have to admit I have never noticd the eyes in mine. I think maybe my eyesight is off or I just dont know what i'm looking for I tell with mine when my sunglow goes dull... then quiet and the carolina I missed completely last time but the time before I notices she had gone very purply and murky not her usual colours. Im sure my snakes eyes do do the clouding over I just obv dont seem to know what i'm looking for lol. either that or because mine are so young it may be different? Would you happen to have shedding records to refer to to see if he may be likely to be due one?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have the shedding records no :/ the breeder was not given them, the snake did not shed whilst back with the breeder but was only there for about 3 weeks I think.

I only mention the eyes becasue my aunties (lava type) corn's eyes went distinctly cloudy when he was to shed
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  13:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought the snake might be a little thin, but he looks a bit on the large side! Do you know how much he weighs?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  13:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont at the moment. I hope to get some measurements and weights as soon as he has settled in and happy to be handled etc! dont wanna stress him out too much atm.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  11:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good news/update... he was up and about last night exploring the viv!!! :)
Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is good news :)
May I ask a question...sexybear what is lethargic?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  23:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackHutchy979

That is good news :)
May I ask a question...sexybear what is lethargic?

Lethargic just means sluggish, lazy or inactive. Because snakes are cold blooded, sustained low temperatures can cause a lack in activity.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  00:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again... So the corn (names birdie by my 3 year old!!!) Seems to be very slowly settling in. I have seen him out in the viv once or twice but by the tracks in the substrate I'm confident that he's coming out when I'm not around, he may just be a little shy tho!!! He now pokes his head out when I check on him, change his water etc so hopefully moving in the right direction with him.

Another question for you now then... He last ate on 20th nov, he didn't take a feed last weekend or in the middle of this week just gone (he had been feeding weekls or there abouts.) I don't mind keep trying him with food but don't want to stress him out any more. In the longrun I want to be feeding him in a RUB and not in his viv... So... What would you all reccomend with regards to how and when to next try a feed?

I don't have a weight atm but will weigh him when I next try a feed.

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000