New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  17:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi would appreciate some help pls......got a female hypo lavender corn snake. i feed her a pinkie every 5-7 days. Took her 2 a reptile shop today as she doesn't seem to be fattening up, the guy said she looks like she is properly 10 weeks old but i have had her since may so know she is def older.

He advised me to feed her two pinkies every 4-5 days is this correct as it sounds like alot in a short space of time???

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  18:42:51  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When you feed her is there a visible bump of pinkie? Snakes are like most creatures, they are healthier when they're not too fat, despite what the reptile shop said! The general rule is to feed prey that's one and a half times the girth of the snake at it widest part. That should give you an idea of the correct size for your snake. Young snakes can be fed at 5-7 day intervals. Does that help?

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  18:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for taking the time to reply! Yes, that does help thank you....so is it ok 2 feed the snake 2 pinkies at a time??? Also when do you know 2 go up in size of the food you're giving your snake?? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first snake so i am learning as I go along and people and books contradict each other.

Many Thanks

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  02:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it barely leaves a bulge, then it'd be fine to move her up to double pinks.
The idea would be that when those 2 pinks barely leave a visible bulge, then maybe move up to small fuzzies.

Don't worry about all the questions, it's what we're here for, and yes many places are contradictory in what is said/suggested hence why this place was started to try to bring info together from many experienced people to help those that are just starting out.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  07:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi mike, kehhlyr's advice is spot on.
the aim of the game is to get a baby snake off pinkies as soon as you can, snakes need protein to grow and it gets that from muscles in it's prey, pinkies have had no time to develop muscles and they are composed mostly of water, around about 80%.
as prey gets older it's exercised more and it's protein content improves, it's diet improves which means that the preys liver starts containing a vitamin d3 which is essential in producing calcium to help build the snakes bones and teeth. by feeding two pinkies at a time or feeding little and often it will stimulate growth and get your snake off smaller food items.
Go to Top of Page

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  12:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for your advice it is much appreciated! Fed her 2 pinkies on Tuesday night with no trouble. If she looks like shes only 10 weeks old in the opinion of the guy at the reptile shop but is at least 8 months old is it anything to be concerned about and would it be a clear sign she needs fattening up??

cheers again
Mikey :-)
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  15:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there I'm like you a newbie to snakes but my anery corn just ate her two pinkies today and is going to do so for another three weeks then I'm going to move her onto fuzzies but for now she's fine eating two then getting warmth to help her digest the pinkies

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000