New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  17:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im really freaked out at the thought of my corn snake having/getting mites!

Peeps can u tell me how snakes get mites? can they be carried by other pets like cats??

Cheers
Mikey

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  17:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, have a read of this thread. Hope it helps :)

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3651
Go to Top of Page

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  17:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the time to reply Louise! So am i right in thinking the only way my snake can get them is if they are already on the snake when u purchase it!?!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  07:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not neccesseraly, if you've handled a snake that has mites they can cling to your clothing and be transported home, contained within substraits. they are evil little gits and can travel as far as 23 foot in one night.
always have a product called ardvap to hand, it's fantastic stuff. you take the snake out of it's container for 24 hours, spray the container, after the 24 hours place the snake back in but without water for a further 24 hours, after that put the water back in and it mites will die.
mites can climb walls live in carpets and be a snake keepers worst nightmare. when inspecting potential snakes to by always check their eyes, in the grove under the snakes jaw and around the cloaca, then look at your hands for little black dots that run around. evil little things.
Go to Top of Page

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  12:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh not good...makes my skin crawl at the thought! Would be freaked out if my snake got them...is there any need 2 panic? How long can mites live without a host???

And any tips on what 2 do when u purchase substrate 2 ensure there are no mites living in it??
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  13:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mites are the bain of a lot of keepers lives, mine included.
They can live for uproar about 2 months with a host, not entirely sure on how long without, but its too long!
You can get mites from bedding, but only if the bedding has been in a shop or near a snake that already has them. The name snake mite inferrs exactly that, they can only reproduce on or near snakes, however they can live off pretty much any blood, despite the huge difference in the blood cells. They can travel about 50 feet in 24 hours and reproduce after 24 hours, so infection to infestation time is very short.
They can lay fertile eggs without mating and produce all males, roughly 200 every 24 hours, once mated they produce all females, then you have 200 females laying 200 eggs each every 24 hours, they are prolific to say the least.

There are a few stickies which detail treatment, the merits with each are different and may suit you specifically.

Go to Top of Page

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  13:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Mike! How did your snake get mites? :)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  15:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They got them from a snake I took in to help, the guy I took him from failed to tell me, very very frustrating. Now I can't get rid of them!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000